Where Did You Go This Summer?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Caretaker

Where Did You Go This Summer?

Post by Caretaker »

OK, summer is coming to an end, so it is time to ask: where did you go this summer?

I just got back from a week in Vegas. I saw Tears for Fears for free on the side of the stage and watched the band members come in via limo. Great concert. I had almost forgotten that they had the hit 'Break it Down Again.'............ oh well, "no more sleepy dreaming"
The second night, I went to mingle with the Real Madrid and Santos fans at the stadium behind our hotel. I didn't have a ticket, but waited till halftime when a guy from Madrid came and gave me and two guys from Barcelona I was hanging with, free tickets. So I got to see the second half in a seat instead of peeking through the fence like I did in the first half.
We had a great time on Freemont Street as always, and went ziplining. I also found a free wine tasting event at the Palazzo and tanked up on Italian wine and met lots of internationals, with one couple from Australia inviting me to come stay with them for free.
I also hiked up Mt. Charleston before getting a bit dizzy, and then got pulled over by a trooper on the long (and fast) ride down to the desert valley floor. He let me go with only a warning.
We ended our trip with a day at the Star Trek convention where I took a wizz next to Q (in the restroom of course), spoke at great length with "Rod" Roddenberry and his wife, got interviewed on local Vegas TV, and had a nice professional photo shoot with Nichele Nichols.
Of all the times I've been to Vegas (approx 10), this was the most memorable.
ponta2147

Re: Where Did You Go This Summer?

Post by ponta2147 »

All places we drove the Vibe this summer:
We had video shoots in St Joseph, MI and Dayton, OH
I went to a design conference in Boston, MA
We spent two weeks in Washington, DC

This weekend I am heading to Grand Rapids, MI (another conference)
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

Went to Daytona Beach the first weekend in June to visit a friend.
A week-long trip to MD to visit the family.
Spent the last week of June in Pigeon Forge, TN doing touristy stuff - white water rafting, horse-back riding, caught a Soul of Motown show, Dollyworld, etc.
Our last vacation of the summer (2nd week of July) we spent 5 days in Amsterdam including a day trip to Antwerp, Belgium (2 hour train ride).
Here's one of the many pics I took. This is from the Westerkerk steeple. The pale green triangular shaped house in the foreground is the Anne Frank house where she hid during WWII. The line of people are waiting to go in for the tour (which I did a couple days later).

Another thing, they have lots of interesting cars over there that aren't over here, and almost all of them are manuals. Very cool stuff. Oh, I did see one Pontiac - a Montana minivan being used as a taxi.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Did the NorCal hwy 101 run up to Astoria then Mt. St. Helens.....

Also did a tour of Yellowstone on the bike then shot over to the pacific for the day...

Summer's not over yet...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Austin and Albuquerque (my aunt lives near Albu)
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

First trip was Chicago; Loved it. Second, was Mountain Home, AR to a lake for the weekend!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Other than my weekly excursions to the lake every weekend (Port Clinton, Ohio), I was able to head to Erie, Pa. for the GenvVbe meet :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I haven't gone anywhere this summer, unless you count my day trip with my mom last weekend to Waukesha, Wisconsin for her God daughter's 5th birthday...
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

In my line of work, Summer is the ONLY time we make money! 8 weeks to make 12 months of money! My season is only now winding down. Soon we'll be headed to a lake front home in the Northern Kingdom of Vermont.

I LOVERMONT!!!

Can't wait! :)

Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Well, I spent about a week of my shutdown at the house in Bellevue. Then, about three days in Erie, then back to Bellevue for a nice 3 days. Next road trip is back to Ohio for the family reunion in the Toledo area.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

In June we went to Whistler/Vancouver/Penticton in British Columbia.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

We went to...the beach. :D
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

DeClercq wrote:Went to Daytona Beach the first weekend in June to visit a friend.
A week-long trip to MD to visit the family.
Spent the last week of June in Pigeon Forge, TN doing touristy stuff - white water rafting, horse-back riding, caught a Soul of Motown show, Dollyworld, etc.
Our last vacation of the summer (2nd week of July) we spent 5 days in Amsterdam including a day trip to Antwerp, Belgium (2 hour train ride).
Here's one of the many pics I took. This is from the Westerkerk steeple. The pale green triangular shaped house in the foreground is the Anne Frank house where she hid during WWII. The line of people are waiting to go in for the tour (which I did a couple days later).
We also went to Amsterdam last year - September - for a week. Landed in Belgium, train to Paris for a few days, then train to Amsterdam for a week, then home!
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Just got back from a road trip to the Black Hills with the family. A Great Time!!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
VibeOnAWhim

Post by VibeOnAWhim »

Got no summer vacation this year, but snuck out earlier during spring break and went to northern florida (little town called Old town, not to be confused with old town, kissimmee, fl near orlando.)

Rented a cabin, a small jon boat, packed the dogs in the prius and off w went for a week away.

What we woke up to in the mornings:

This is Manatee Springs: 72°F year round.

And a quick shot of the prius in front of the cabin:
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

The Beach...

2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I just "escaped" from 2 nights in Ocean City, MD where bikers took over the town. Their noise wasn't enough to dampen my time. We got a two bedroom upgrade, saw lots of dolphins, and even watched a wedding on the beach. The hotel kept its pool open later in the season than what was posted on their website. They also had a great work out room, dry sauna, steam room, huge jacuzzi, and even a "Vicks Vapo-rub" room to clear your head. Had my new genvibe t-shirts on the whole time.
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

Caretaker wrote:I just "escaped" from 2 nights in Ocean City, MD where bikers took over the town. Their noise wasn't enough to dampen my time. We got a two bedroom upgrade, saw lots of dolphins, and even watched a wedding on the beach. The hotel kept its pool open later in the season than what was posted on their website. They also had a great work out room, dry sauna, steam room, huge jacuzzi, and even a "Vicks Vapo-rub" room to clear your head. Had my new genvibe t-shirts on the whole time.
Love OC. We also picked a bad weekend one time to visit. Instead of bikes though, it was classic/muscle cars. It was noisy and crowded, but not so bad on the boardwalk or beach.
Of course I need the obligatory "car in the hotel parking lot" shot (not during the aforementioned muscle car wknd):
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring