Treasure Chest

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
PHXLavaVibe

Treasure Chest

Post by PHXLavaVibe »

Hello all,

I just finished my latest project and wanted to share a few pics with all of you.
This is a Hand Built Treasure Chest. I personally designed and built it myself. It's dimensions are 24in long X 18in wide X 19in tall.
I put well over 70 hours in this custom build. All hardware is done in decorative brass. This chest has been designed with
4 locks & hasps. The interior is lined with a soft black felt and the lid is restrained with two satin nickle chains.
The exterior of the chest has been stained with a deep Red Mahogany finish. The dome lid has been stained with a
custome dark Cherry finish and all trim pieces have been stained in a pure black finish. The skull & crossbones are removable
and intended for decoration only.
Attachments
06a.jpg
06a.jpg (47.48 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
04a.jpg
04a.jpg (43.76 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
01a.jpg
01a.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 1964 times
2006 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER Overall...an amazing vehicle for my family and lifestyle!!! Thanks everyone for allowing me to stay on GENVIBE SPECIAL THANKS TO KAMIKAZE FOR THE NEW SIGNATURE
PHXLavaVibe

Re: Treasure Chest

Post by PHXLavaVibe »

Capt'n Jack Sparrow has claimed this treasure for himself!
Attachments
07a.jpg
07a.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
2006 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER Overall...an amazing vehicle for my family and lifestyle!!! Thanks everyone for allowing me to stay on GENVIBE SPECIAL THANKS TO KAMIKAZE FOR THE NEW SIGNATURE
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

hahaa...this is reslly neat.
what did you make this for?
personal collection?
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

arrrrr, this be a fine chest for keepin pirate booty!
PHXLavaVibe

Post by PHXLavaVibe »

I built this because my daughter is turning 5 years old in September. She wants to have a Pirate Party so I decided to put my skills to use. The concept behind this is that we will have the attending kids participate in a treasure hunt. I will hide 4 keys (all duplicates) around the house or bury them in various places around the yard. Depending on how many kids will be attending I will split them up in groups and send each group off with a specific treasure map where they will discover various goodies and eventually a key to one of the 4 locks on the treasure chest. Once all the keys have been found they will unlock the chest and discover a goodie bag for each child.

The Treasure chest is an early birthday gift for my daughter. She absolutely loves it!!! Hopefully she will take good care of it as she has already promised me, and will use it as a hope chest. Some day in the future she will be able to pass it on as an heirloom.
That's the idea anyway.

I put a lot of effort into building this, and so far everyone who has seen it says I should build more and start selling them. After so many amazing reviews I decided to post ads about it on Craigslist in hopes that there is enough interest and I can start making a little profit. So far...nothing!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

PHXLavaVibe wrote:I built this because my daughter is turning 5 years old in September. She wants to have a Pirate Party so I decided to put my skills to use. The concept behind this is that we will have the attending kids participate in a treasure hunt. I will hide 4 keys (all duplicates) around the house or bury them in various places around the yard. Depending on how many kids will be attending I will split them up in groups and send each group off with a specific treasure map where they will discover various goodies and eventually a key to one of the 4 locks on the treasure chest. Once all the keys have been found they will unlock the chest and discover a goodie bag for each child.

The Treasure chest is an early birthday gift for my daughter. She absolutely loves it!!! Hopefully she will take good care of it as she has already promised me, and will use it as a hope chest. Some day in the future she will be able to pass it on as an heirloom.
That's the idea anyway.

I put a lot of effort into building this, and so far everyone who has seen it says I should build more and start selling them. After so many amazing reviews I decided to post ads about it on Craigslist in hopes that there is enough interest and I can start making a little profit. So far...nothing!
That is so awesome! It's really neat looking and I love the story of using it for your daughter's birthday and her passing it on in the future :)!

Keep posting about them online. I'm sure this is something that will catch on seeing as pirates are a big thing lately.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

PHX –

A cross-section you might want to try catering to are people who love old trunks, luggage and such. Having a decoration like the pirate's chest is cool, but you could also offer
trunks with heavy, nice-looking metal hardware, and different linings. I bet you could do really well. More time and money? You bet, but I'd be curious how the older/antiquing community would take to that kind of offering. Good luck selling, and what a great thing to do for your daughter, too. She'll remember it for years.
Steelies to the rescue.