Space Shuttle Challenger

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
djkeev

Space Shuttle Challenger

Post by djkeev »

26 Years ago. Almost everyone alive at the time remembers the day, where they were, how old they were and what they were doing that day.Me? I was at work finishing new housing units, doors, trim, etc. My Helper, a less than intelligent and trustworthy man, came running over and blurted out the news that the Challenger had exploded....yeah Dale...right!! This was before cell phones and wireless internet so all we had was a radio. Sure enough, I turned on the radio and there it was!One of those days in history, Kennedy shot, Challenger explodes, World Trade Center comes down. I'm not old enough to remember Pearl Harbor though for some (such as my 93 year old Mother) that's of the same level of significance in their life.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
jake75

Re: Space Shuttle Challenger (djkeev)

Post by jake75 »

1. In pharmacy school taking a tour of the Kaufman Lattimer drug wholesaler operation in Columbus. Got in my car and drove 110 miles to my parents house. Was watching TV (live I think) on Sunday morning (I think) when Oswald was shot. Never a big Kennedy fan but that event made me ill. If all those dead people in Chicago hadn't voted we would have had Nixon sooner rather than later and maybe the world would be different today. Not to mention the hanging chads in Florida.2. At work when I had a day job (Borden Corp, HQ - Columbus) 3. At work - home office; wife called from a school where she worked and told me to turn on the TV.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

1. n/a2. n/a3. middle school classroom, principal made an announcement and teachers turned on the news. so i guess i must be pretty young, ha ha.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I remember I had a half day from junior high school. I came home and asked my pop if they launched the shuttle....he said "it blew up !!!"
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
PlatinumVibe08

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

18 years old. Back home at my parent's house from the university in bed with the chicken pox. Turned on the TV and watched the launch live. I remember the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when it sank in what had just happened. First teacher (Christa McAuliffe) in space (almost). I remember two years before when my physics teacher applied and it was all he could talk about.
2006 Lexus SC430 White Gold Crystal
2010 Lexus RX350 Matador Red Mica
2013 Lexus CT200h Starfire Pearl
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Kennedy shot - grade schoolChallenger - don't rememberWorld trade center towers - home recuperating from a motorcycle accidentI would rate the attack on Pearl Harbor way higher than the other events.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
bull77

Post by bull77 »

- i was 6, living in Regina, at home from school. I remember sitting with my mom and my sisters watching the shuttle explode on tv.- 9/11 just got out of class in college and went to the computer lab. i remember the internet was down and really slow (because of all the traffic) at the time. People saying 'something big is happening in NYC' and trying to access any info on their cells. I called my wife (gf at the time) and she was watching it live on tv. Saw people falling and everything live. So surreal living downtown in Canada's capital and having everything go into lockdown. we stayed with her sister in the burbs because we were scared of another attack downtown by our apt - we lived beside the US embassy and Parliament Hill. We watched cnn all night in disbelief....
kostby

Post by kostby »

Pearl Harbor - almost 11 years before I was born.Kennedy shot - 5th Grade. The teachers knew, but didn't tell us until the end of the school day ~3 hours later.Challenger explodes - working the sales floor of a computer store in Indianapolis (on Monument Circle literally about 100 ft from where the SuperBowl XLVI letters are displayed this week) World Trade Center - teaching a mid-morning bible study class at church. Didn't have the TV or radio on before class when the first 2 planes hit. By the time class was over, both towers were down, the Pentagon had been hit, and the last plane had been brought down by passengers in Pennsylvania. Finding out about all of it at once? Wow!

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I watched it live on TV. I was in the Navy, on shore duty at that time, waiting to go to work. I was on night shift at the time.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
psiu

Post by psiu »

Pearl Harbor--parents weren't born yetKennedy--missed by years.Challenger--recess in maybe 5th grade, came in during it to watch the launch. That went well.WTC--closed work the night before, slept til noon wondering why the roommates had the news on so loud downstairs. Got up, no on there, strange movie on TV...on all the channels...uhoh.Columbia--break room at work...waited a long time to leave, listened on the radio on the way home...getting those funny chills down my back right now thinking of it.