Any members "into" HDTV/widescreen TV's?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
cohocarl

Any members "into" HDTV/widescreen TV's?

Post by cohocarl »

Looking at taking the plunge and picking up a HDTV widescreen projection tv in the next month or two.Any recommendations? I'm looking at the new line of JVC's xxPW74's, or the new Panasonic PTxxWX53's.
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
slbpsi63

Re: Any members "into" HDTV/widescreen TV's? (cohocarl)

Post by slbpsi63 »

My parents just purchased a 60" LCD screen. It is the clearest TV I've ever seen. When they put foorball games on HD, I just start to tear up. It a spiritual expeirence. LOL I highly recommend SONY. the picuture is clear and VERY sharp. If you want a plasma screen I know that Gateway and Dell are starting to make inexpensive Plasma screen TV's. Better picuture for about the same amount as a LCD screen in circuit city. Good luck
Base Vibe, Shadow Monotone, 5sp.
Shadow Realm

Re: Any members "into" HDTV/widescreen TV's? (Salsa!)

Post by Shadow Realm »

BestBuy has the projection TV's ranging from about 1200 to 8000. I saw a 53" HDTV Widescreen Projection TV for 1999 there last week.Shadow Realm
Abyss Monotone GT, 6 speed, Moon & Tunes, Power Group,and 16" Alloys. Soon you can see my Vibe GT at Shadowrealm's car pics but for now it is under construction!
Moreorles

Re: Any members "into" HDTV/widescreen TV's? (Shadow Realm)

Post by Moreorles »

Go with a flat glass tube HDTV. They have the clearest screens. They are also the most expensive. LCD never looks as good as flat glass.
Cosmic Blue Matrix xR17" Enkei factory rimsBazooka SubwooferSunroof2-tone Katzkin leather
slbpsi63

Re: Any members "into" HDTV/widescreen TV's? (Moreorles)

Post by slbpsi63 »

when it has 2.5 million pixels a LCD is very clear.
Base Vibe, Shadow Monotone, 5sp.
etoop

Re: Any members "into" HDTV/widescreen TV's? (slbpsi63)

Post by etoop »

My wife and I are looking at getting a Toshiba 36" HDTV Monitor... Projection TV's just suck unless you are sitting at the exact right angle from the screen... You get too far off and it gets Black
~Eric2004 Base SalsaAutomaticTwo TonePower PackageM & T Package
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

IMHO, wait a year or two till the technology becomes cheaper, and all the bugs are worked out.It's relatively new technology...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
MrRich

Re: Any members "into" HDTV/widescreen TV's? (ragingfish)

Post by MrRich »

quote:IMHO, wait a year or two till the technology becomes cheaper, and all the bugs are worked out.It's relatively new technology...This is what i am doing right now!
GenVibe Patriarch
lawton23

Re: Any members "into" HDTV/widescreen TV's? (Salsa!)

Post by lawton23 »

same here, i could not afford the hdtv, but i purchased a Sony KV36FV300 about 2 weeks ago, 36 inch sony flat screen, for me it was a big step up from my 27 inch i had for 7 years, the tv is 1 step below hdtv, but sony makes the best tv's, i could have gotten a big 50 inch projection for the same price but i guess their out of style now. plus i saw this tv on cribs on mtv. heres a pic http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_KV_36FV300 ... ml?tag=dir
cohocarl

Re: Any members "into" HDTV/widescreen TV's? (etoop)

Post by cohocarl »

quote:Projection TV's just suck unless you are sitting at the exact right angle from the screen... You get too far off and it gets Black Ya, that's my main problem with projections. Some brands/models are better than others. I'll agree a conventional tube type television has the potential to give you the best picture, but I want to go with a 16:9 and if you want anything bigger than a 30", you have to step up to Plasma or LCD. (way out of my price range).
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
yank dini

Post by yank dini »

Best I can do is the Digital Filter Flat Screen
Bowlsie

Post by Bowlsie »

About 6 months ago I purchased a Sony Wega 36" HD TV. I bought it after I watched a DVD on the one of my parents. I must say WOW! One of the most awesome pictures I have ever seen. Not to mention playing XBox on it.... SWEET!
BowlsieLava 03 Vibe GT Moon/Tunes
KSNeptune

Post by KSNeptune »

I've been looking. Some advice for you thinking about it:Plasma and LCD displays have a "native" resolution that may not be as high as what the maufacturer claims it can show. Gateway's well-advertised screen is one such beast. It does NOT have all the pixels needed to show the highest HDTV images at a 1 to 1 ratio. It's those "very" high priced monitors that have enough pixels.DLP HDTVs are a little easier to see from the sides compared to standard rear-projection TVs. The brightness is evener across the rectangle. And they are usually shallower than the other rear-projection sets, so they don't need as deep a stand or space from the wall. But make surre you look for sets that support true 1080i AND 720p. If you're getting something 50" or larger, expect 1920h x 1080v resolution. Anything less and you're missing out on the full experience.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I finally took the plunge and dropped some serious cash on a new TV, this HDTV stuff is really nice.
drunkenmaxx

Re: (joatmon)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

sweet isn't it? even stuff that's not in hd looks freaking awesome! from what i have seen, i actually prefer lcd to plasma.you're ahead of the curve. in a few years, they are talking about dropping analog tv all together.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
mcgusto82

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by mcgusto82 »

If you play video games, stay away from plasma. They are still well known for being prone to image burn in. A best buy near here had a 50" plasma on display with a burnt display. there 3 things to look for on an LCD tv.1-Resolution. 27" to about 42" is fine with 720P. anything higher you need a minimun of 1080i. Most HD's are compatible with all resolutions, but it will be brought down to what they can display at max. 2-Contrast ratio. You want higher than 1,000:1. 3-Response time. 8 MS or higher. This goes mainly for video games. When playing fast paced games, with a low response time. You will get a little blurriness on screen from time to time. Name brand.. plays little to no role on TV quality. Only one example i can think of. Ambilight, by PHYLLIPS. They are the only ones that have it, and i think it would be an awesome feature to have. I have a Sanyo 30" LCD HDTV. 720P. Get yourself a good quality HD over the air antenna and enjoy HD for free my friend!If there is a Sams' club near you. check them out. They carry an extensive arsernal of Flat panel Tv's
tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

we got a 50" Sony rear projection 3LCD for Christmas, didn't pony up for the 1080p, stuck with the 720, which has an EXCELLANT picture, especially on video games and DVD's played on the HD-DVD player.It's all a matter of taste....I really wanted to buy a DLP, but in person, they really looked muddy compared to the 3LCD. The only other contender was the JVC.
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i got a 46" widescreen lcd hdtv 1080p tv..im not big with rear projection tv's..gotta sit at certain angles and heights to get the clearest picture..unless thats older projection tv's..lol http://www.samsung.com/Product...A.asp
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

i think you have it mixed up mcgusto.response time is how fast the processor can respond to changes of movement on the screen...8ms is fast, larger (i.e. 16ms) is hence slower and will show more pixelation during fast moving scenes.check these out:http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/http ... de.com/and from those sites:http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/lcdt ... de....html
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
mcgusto82

Re: (Atomb)

Post by mcgusto82 »

Quote, originally posted by Atomb »i think you have it mixed up mcgusto.response time is how fast the processor can respond to changes of movement on the screen...8ms is fast, larger (i.e. 16ms) is hence slower and will show more pixelation during fast moving scenes.Yeah i think you're right. opps. my bad.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

46" is a good size..37"-46" is a really good size..anything bigger then 50" is just to big and with the frame rate being higher i find it's choppier as atomb mentioned
scott_h

Re: (RedFire2K)

Post by scott_h »

Quote, originally posted by RedFire2K »46" is a good size..37"-46" is a really good size..anything bigger then 50" is just to big I've had a 64" for nearly 4 years, and a 42" for almost a year. I love my 64"...
Scott
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

well im just saying for picture wise..37"-46" has a better picture then a 64" due to the framerate
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

my friend has a 62" mitshubishi lcd dlp thats amazing. toshiba's are good too
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

actually, on those sites i posted...there is a calculation for the optimal size for your room.rule of thumb...take the size they calculate and go one size higher (i.e: recommend 37" ..go 42"...recommend 42" go 44" etc.)if you get too big for your room the picture will look horrible no matter what kind of tv you get!
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
scott_h

Re: (Atomb)

Post by scott_h »

Quote, originally posted by Atomb »if you get too big for your room the picture will look horrible no matter what kind of tv you get!It depends what you're watching. If you're watching HD material, I couldn't disagree more. You can sit a foot away, and it will look flawless. If you're talking SD material, then I agree.
Scott
scott_h

Re: (RedFire2K)

Post by scott_h »

Quote, originally posted by RedFire2K »well im just saying for picture wise..37"-46" has a better picture then a 64" due to the framerateI have a 42" that is much newer technology than my 64", and it does not have a better picture...
Scott
nygiantzz1

Re: (scott_h)

Post by nygiantzz1 »

The Big Screen TV's that are using DLP and similar technologies look amazing. I have my eye on a 50" Samsung 1080p DLP TV right now, I'm just waiting for the price to drop a little more. Plasma and LCD may have a slight advantage for HD or gaming, but for SD broadcasts (most of our TV stations), DLP delivers a much better picture.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

we have an el cheapo Best Buy Westinghouse 26" LCD HDTV 720p and i love it. been a great tv for the past year. currently, the highlight of my home theater system is my 800x600 res DLP projector in the movie room. haven't actually measured the image size, but i'd say it's close to 5' right now. that's only due to not being able to move the projector further for a larger pic. that may change down the road when we upgrade to an HDTV projector... like in 2 yrs or so.not too many HDTV stations that are available here, so i don't want to spend $$$ to have it all set up and not be able to get more than just the locals. oh well...
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

We got a 37" Toshiba 37HL66 LCD back in December, it was the biggest one we can fit in our TV cabinet. It is 720p. Ordered it from Amazon.So far so good. Still have basic cable, some of the local stations have HD signals, very impressive picture.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
drunkenmaxx

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

i have an el cheapo, but it's 1080i, 1000:1 contrast! only $599 durring a sale at wally world before christmas.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Pablo1669

Re: (nygiantzz1)

Post by Pablo1669 »

Quote, originally posted by nygiantzz1 »The Big Screen TV's that are using DLP and similar technologies look amazing. I have my eye on a 50" Samsung 1080p DLP TV right now, I'm just waiting for the price to drop a little more. Plasma and LCD may have a slight advantage for HD or gaming, but for SD broadcasts (most of our TV stations), DLP delivers a much better picture. I bought the 56" model a few months back and I absolutely love it. That TV is incredible.
-Brian
jake75

Re: (Pablo1669)

Post by jake75 »

Plasma vs. LCD? When my 15 year old Mitsubishi 27" quit last year I was forced to do something. I chose the LCD because LCD's are significantly lighter in weight and use less electricity - generate less heat. Also - prefer the LCD's matte screen vs the glossy plasma screen especially in a lighted room.A LCD that delivers the same quality as plasma is more expensive - I bought the Sony Bravia XBR 40 inch (about $3,000) as I have never regretted buying "up" but often regretted buying "down" in quality.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
joatmon

Re: (jake75)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »A LCD that delivers the same quality as plasma is more expensive - I bought the Sony Bravia XBR 40 inch (about $3,000) as I have never regretted buying "up" but often regretted buying "down" in quality. I just bought one of those, it is really nice works great on genvibe(There's a bit of moire pattern in the close up, an artifact of taking a digital pic of a digital screen)larger would have been nice, but my house is complicated (no wall space because of windows, doors, fireplace, stairs, etc) , not really room for anything much larger

Attached files
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

I will have mine soon, I hope. The best part is that the new HD and Blu Ray DVD standards both use 1080p. I've heard rumors that it's going to become the digital broadcast standard as well. Your TV and my future TV are ready for it.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

you have your interweb displaying on your widescreen joat?
joatmon

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by joatmon »

I can, 1920x1080, but I confess that screen shot was staged for this forum
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

that's cool, i was in it!
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Update: I finally took the plunge. I went with the Toshiba 57HM167-DLP. 57" screen, 1080P, 3 HDMI inputs. It was delivered to my house this morning. I almost went with the Samsung, but the picture quality is the same for less money. I am going to set it up tomorrow and will post pics by Sunday.
Mrizzle05

Re: (nygiantzz1)

Post by Mrizzle05 »

i just got an OLIVIA 37" LCD tv.has pc monitor input, HDMI input, and 2 a/v, and 2 components.TV is really nice and it was retailed at 899, but got it for 800.Xbox360 is SOoooo nice on it too.
Must resist.... V... Tec.... Temptation... to strong... "WARNING: Genvibe is a very addictive website... constant use can result in car modification and a lowering of your bank account. use with extreme caution!http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2298639
nygiantzz1

Re: (Mrizzle05)

Post by nygiantzz1 »

I was thinking about the olivia or the westinghouse that Newegg had on sale. Both would have fit in my entertainment center perfectly. My wife and I decided that if we were going to make the switch, might as well go bigger. Thanks to 0% interest for 12 months, we were able to get the Toshiba. I can't wait to hook up my PC to it. My video card can output 1920x1080 through the DVI port. Madden 07 should look awesome.
watcher7479

Post by watcher7479 »

i got a Toshiba 42HM66, and am very impressed with it, picture quality is far above what i expected whether watching tv or playing xbox 360, the downside is the audio, the audio output is very low, looking into getting home theather system (if anyone has any input?)