Anyone else tried Windows Phone 7 yet?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
psiu

Anyone else tried Windows Phone 7 yet?

Post by psiu »

Picked up an HTC Trophy on Verizon off ebay last week to replace my OG Droid. Updated it to Mango last night. Super slick and FAST and puts Android to shame IMO.Check it out if you are preparing to get a new phone...hopefully it gains some traction in the marketplace to offer another choice.edit: I also like that though MS licenses it out, they have minimum hardware requirements so performance is pretty much standardized across the line.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

I hope Mango is good because the existing Win7 system is a joke. I hate selling them because I have a 95% return rate. No support and not many applications out there. Android 2.3 on 4G hardware smokes the competition currently. and yes, if you had an OG Droid, anything is better. Even WebOS.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
psiu

Post by psiu »

It's pretty slick so far. Not too big into apps unless needed...especially the "website" apps (ie a NY Times app versus just browsing the site).Droid was fine, especially overclocked and running either 2.2 or 2.3, but Google's general approach of "hey, here's a cool idea but we will only get it halfway done and then work on it so mo--OOH SHINY" and forgetting wore on me. Had a problem with Activesync/Exchange and getting itself stuck awake and killing the battery.Seems like every new Android phone comes with some sort of hangup that would drive me batty. Anyways, I'm still happy with it for now, I'll give it a couple weeks and report back.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Ive had 2 iphones (2g and a 3g)BB 9700Android samsung epic 4gTried a epic 4g Tried a HTC win 7 phone on sprintso I have some experience. I'm a huge power user. I've broke the software on every phone I've used, by just using it. My android is driving me up the wall with its crappy samsungness.So win7 mobile...ahhh what a sweet OS...Loved the phone, loved the OS, the reason I dont have it is fairly simple. NO VISUAL VOICEMAIL. I protest checking my voicemail the old way...wont do it. I didnt read tooo deep into Mango but I did not see them mention it.The on screen keyboard was almost as good as the iphone. Just amazing response and correct letter detection. Loved the tiles. Good games. Easy and intuitive. Simple interface. But lacks real customization, but I hear that hacker kids things were going into mango, and if you have a dev count you can treat it like a "rooted" phone. I would still almost take a iphone over it, but win7 is next, then BB, then android. Android is a beta os that never feels polished and they have way to many hardware revisions to keep it stable.
psiu

Post by psiu »

Verizon makes you pay more for Visual voicemail...I did use Google Voice for a bit on my Droid...main problem with that is you need a data connection for it.Plus I don't get many voicemails so it's okay It does need some more apps and even tighter integration in some things I think though. But definitely going to give it a good run for a few months and see how I feel in December when my upgrade is available.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Just got a BlackBerry Bold Touch I need a physical keyboard and BBM.... Otherwise, it would of been an iPhone
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
psiu

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by psiu »

Well after a little over a month, I'm still pretty happy with the Mangofied phone. It actually let the official update go on over the semi-official leaked one that I had on already so that was nice.Things I like:still fast and smooth, have really only had one app hiccup at all (Seesmic)good battery lifesigned up for Zune Pass before they dropped the 10 song credits...going to see how I like it for a few months, so far so goodsyncing photos to skydrive...nice immediate backup of photos on camera that waywireless sync...it syncs to the pc over night even though the phone is plugged in by the bedthe email app...just smokes the android one...using hotmail/yahoo/gmailthe browser (ie9) fast and smooth...like having the address bar at the bottom, easier to hit that waythe integrated messaging (windows live, facebook, text) buuuuut see belowoffice is pretty handyThings I don't like:the integrated messaging doesn't include yahoo im, gtalk, or aim. which are what basically everyone I im with usethat I don't have some unreleased phone with a sweet camera and a ffc as well...but soon enoughthey do need to go *further* with fb and twitter integrationboth less and more options, sometimes you feel like too much is available, sometimes not enough...they have everything so intertwined that when you can't get to it from where you are with a swipe or two it stands out...but that one is mostly fading now as I get used to it and discover more little shortcuts.so far from me: