Need y'alls help, dog issues...

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Sublimewind

Need y'alls help, dog issues...

Post by Sublimewind »

Hello everyone,I'm having some dog issues and I need some advice and/or help... My Ruzz-T is gettin on in years and is having some issues... He's been having breathing issues, coughing a LOT... the Vet put him on some anti-inflammatory as he said his heart was enlarged, causing the coughing.. Well, it seemed his enlarged heart settled down but his lungs where full of fluid... coughing, weezing..ect... So he's now on Pregnizone (steroid) to combat the lung issues, which it's done a pretty good job of... The problem is now he's swollen with fluid in his tissues... so he's not coughing, but often it sounds like he wants to, but doesn't... This concerns me with his eyes, as he's got terrible cataracts as well..(rare peace sign cataracts) What's also really bothering me is his joints... it seems since he's been on the Pregnizone he doesn't want to go up/down stairs, he sounds like the Tin Man walking, clicks and pops... he's been limping like one of his front legs are lame, and sometimes when he gets up from naps, it's like his back legs aren't "communicating" well... I know he's getting old, but it's gotten a lot worse in the last month or so... So, I've tried building him a ramp... he won't use it, he's mostly blind and scared enough to go not go up/down the steps, much less learn a ramp... I've been looking for him a vest with a handle... I've found some things, they are all hunting/winter/flotation vests... I was wondering if any of you knew where I could find a mesh vest with a handle... Here are some links to ones I found that are close, but I need/want something he can wear ALL the time, or at least throughout the day so I can help in go up/down, and get in/out of the car without either of us getting hurt... Here is the "rough wear" I found, it's like a neoprene life vest.. but exactly what I want... just too HOT and not breathable... http://www.cabelas.com/product...06980This would be IDEAL, if it had a carry strap attachedhttp://www.things4yourdog.com/...0wearAnd I found this, which would be great, the floatation material is removable... but it doesn't look very breathable... http://www.things4yourdog.com/kurgo%20surf-n-turfWhat I'm truly after would be a mesh vest, with a mesh similar to what's used on say a computer/desk chair, with straps sewn in to use the mesh and the straps to carry the load of the dog (with me boosting the back end of course)... Can anyone help me out here for a better alternative?? or suggestions on this medication... I'm worried... Thank you Aaron
CAMOGIRL

Re: Need y'alls help, dog issues... (Sublimewind)

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Maybe you could try looking at etsy.com for peoplemwho make dog clothing, and then contacting one you like about making a custom piece suited specifically to your needs, and your pups size specifically.
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

That's an idea, thanks...
millster

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by millster »

I'd swear I've seen such vests at Target. I could well be wrong but it wouldn't hurt to look. I like the Etsy idea, though. As an artist, I'm all about supporting the independent folks. As for the situation with your pooch, we recently adopted a senior who was having a similar issue. She would cough (or attempt to) until she would gag. The whole host of drugs had been suggested, but what I ended up with was plain old Robitussin. So long as there isn't actively fluid in his lungs that he needs to get out, it will at least settle his reactions enough that he might stop coughing. Another thought is a homeopathic pill called Calms Forte. It was recommended to me during kennel training. Once again, it's not going to be a cure for an underlying condition, but it will help calm him down. Part of the issue may be distress and if you can sooth the distress, he may normalize somewhat. I've used it in aiding our eldest with her coughing fits and anxiety that was causing her not to eat (she's eating well again for the past month) and my JRT who was not eating after a particularly large thunder storm. It's cheap, it's safe... might be worth a try.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

What the pups fluid intake and urine as with any heart issues and fluid retention, it can cause issues with the kidneys and fluid retention backs up into the lungs which is causing the "wet lungs" and "cough"The medication your pup is on is called Prednisone and yes, it is a steroid, also known as an anti-inflammatory... Keep the pup's activity level to a minimum, in the AC for the time being, and go from there... As for the vest, you have some solid recommendations... Best wishes...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

AaronLook in to a product call Missing Link. It isn't the cheapest thing on the market. http://www.amazon.com/Missing-...1MRUY But it will help ease the joint and muscle pain your pup is feeling.The prednizone will make your pup want to drink more as well. Watch the intake. This should be a minor help.Try the missing link before you invest in the sling. I'm shocked the vet didn't suggest it.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Thank you everyone... Keith, I'm going to order a 5lb bag and give that a go, great reviews...And no, I doubt any of our vets would know about that... it's a strange place out here... Thanks...
Blanco_Diablo

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Sublime... if you still decide to go the vest route, hollar at me. I may be able to pull some favors from a friend, or at least try... no guarantees, but she is a dog lover and an expert tailor