Any Mac-savvy Users Out There?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
DressedInBlack

Any Mac-savvy Users Out There?

Post by DressedInBlack »

I have an "older" (5 years) iMac and I am now encountering my first problem with it.Basically, it can't find the hard drive "start-up disk" each time it boots up. I used the OS X install DVD to get it running again. The first few restart sequences wouldn't show the hard drive as an option from which to run the computer, or as being repairable; it's like it isn't there at all.Disk Utility says there are no problems verifying the disk, therefore, I can't run repair.For now, I won't shut it down and I will be praying for no power outages!
http://
drunkenmaxx

Re: Any Mac-savvy Users Out There? (DressedInBlack)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Don't remember how to do it, but you need to run "fsck"It's a dos based check to see if your hard drive is dammaged or dead. If it's not, you may just need to do a partial reinstall of the os, which is not difficult at all, it will guide you throughVerdict: google "fsck" and run the steps necessary. If the hard drive is ok, reinstallThe hard drive on my ancient iMac g4 died not long ago. Good news is most of your data may be recoverable if this is the case
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
DressedInBlack

Re: Any Mac-savvy Users Out There? (drunkenmaxx)

Post by DressedInBlack »

cool, thanks. i will check this out.up until now, google has yielded me 290987435 of the same result in only .0007 seconds...
millster

Post by millster »

Unfortunately, my experience is that once they get to this point, you're staring at dying hard disk. The iMac, for all its elegance, is HELL on drives. They run hot and if you run them hard and for long periods of time, it really takes its toll.As drunkenmaxx said, your data should be recoverable in the state it's currently in, but continued use will almost certainly result in a complete loss of the drive.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

+1 on heat being an issue.Please check the vent holes to ensure they are clear of dust.Do you have an external drive handy? If not, it's a good investment and can run as a data backup using Apple's Time Machine software.Hope you can get back up and running.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
drunkenmaxx

Re: Any Mac-savvy Users Out There? (ehoff121)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

For those who haven't caught on, the programmers named fsck as a euphemism for what goes through your mind at this point
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

hdd is going bad. Heat may have helped BUT hdd's life time is 3-5 years...these things dont last forever you guys. If you get it booted up, back up data!! get a new hdd, install use disks and recover.
DressedInBlack

Re: (northvibe)

Post by DressedInBlack »

thanks guys! i do indeed have a backup hdd. all the backups are current and whatnot. i was actually thinking of having another [physical] backup drive kept somewhere else just in case my condo burns/crumbles/disappears. the caveat with everything i am trying to do is having to restart after a "fix" has been attempted. well, it takes many attempts and hopes and prayers to restart in the first place.fish or cut bait, etc etc. and FSCK is exactly right! it seems this should be a last resort for G5 machines. it may be done soon. oh well.like i said before, this is the first problem i have had with the machine so i really cant complain much at all.