I Love Bill Gates

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
jake75

I Love Bill Gates

Post by jake75 »

My Dell XP came with 3 years of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 14. The updates were up a couple months ago. That program is obsolete so I needed to upgrade to Trend Mico Internet Security 2011 (which I bought for next to nothing at Staples after rebate). I do income tax prep and didn't want to risk screwing up my computer so I waited until tonight to uninstall the old per instructions on the Trend Micro website (there was an uninstall download there), and install the new. For whatrever reason the uninstall failed (error codes 0, 1003 and 0X000) and I could not install the replacement sw. Worse, it did something so my internet would no longer work. Fortunately a System Restore solved the damaged internet connectivity problem. I still have to figure out how to get the old progam erased from my computer.Thank you Bill gates for System Restore.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
lovemyraffe

Re: I Love Bill Gates (jake75)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I love Steve Jobs because things like this don't happen on a Mac.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
BadBrew

Re: I Love Bill Gates (lovemyraffe)

Post by BadBrew »

Related How to fix any computer by The Oatmeal:http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I blame it on Trend Micro. At least it was easy to get my computer back working. I thank Bill Gates for that system restore. If I ever get this damn Trend Micro program off I think I will install a Norton product.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »I love Steve Jobs because things like this don't happen on a Mac. Problem is, my professional tax and legal sw only works on a pc.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Jake75:These are probably the instructions that you followed, but just in case:http://esupport.trendmicro.com....aspx How do I uninstall Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 14 or 14.7 for Dell http://esupport.trendmicro.com....aspx I have forgotten my password and cannot uninstall PC-cillin Internet Security for Dellhttp://esupport.trendmicro.com....aspx How to uninstall my Trend Micro program using the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit http://esupport.trendmicro.com....aspx How do I uninstall my Trend Micro program if the removal tools fail? http://forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/1000907.htm Uninstall and Remove Trend Micro Internet Security Pro and (PC-Cillin) Internet Security 2005/2006/2007/2008 Manuallyhttp://www.techsupportforum.co....html, why it disabled the internet, and how to individually fix thatJust some suggestions for everybody, but I could be wrong:For when your new antivirus expires maybe look at freeware:To look for other antivirus options, Microsoft Security Essentials is getting better and better. Avira Antivir Personal is very good. The built in firewall in Windows works well. If you are also behind a firewall from a router, it should be all you need. If you feel you have to have a third party firewall, Comodo is very good, but can be a little bit of a pain until you get it set up right, knowing which programs are good and to give or not to give permission to. For antispyware, malwarebytes and superantispyware seems very good. General maintenance that I think should be run before running antivirus and other antimalware scans is Ccleaner. I run this daily. The registry cleaner seems to be basic, but good too. You will get much less, if any, false detections and other problems. http://www.microsoft.com/secur....aspx Microsoft Security Essentials downloadhttp://filehippo.com/ repository for free, shareware and other programs. Never had a problem with spyware or viruses from this site. Everything has been completely safe.A couple other sites that should be safe:http://www.snapfiles.com/http://downloa ... ndows/When uninstalling antivirus or malware software, remember to empty out anything in the quarantine. Some antivirus software, even when using their uninstall tools from their site or disk, seem to always leave traces behind that sometimes causes problems. Microsoft Security Essentials and Antivir seem to be very clean on installs and uninstalls and does not really slow down the system or use a lot of resources. They are not bad on boot up times like Nortons can be either. Running Firefox with some add-ons might make you much safer too. The add-ons I like are ad blocker plus with its element hiding helper, and the easy privacy filter and subscription. Also better privacy add-on is a good one. No script is good, but can be a pain at times. If you are running older operating systems like Xp , defrag every once and a while. Keep everything up to date. Uninstall older versions of Java before upgrading. The newest versions do it for you. Keep all the Adobe and Macromedia stuff updated and be careful not to click on flash ads and banners by mistake. To help with that, run ad blocker, no-script or both.Remember, especially with an older O.S. like XP, run under limited user account unless you are making system changes or downloading new programs.All operating systems have security flaws, obscurity keeps a false sense of security.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
star_deceiver

Re: (10vibe1.8auto)

Post by star_deceiver »

I use malwarebytes, very good program. I also use AVG free... not convinced that it catches everything but so far so good!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »I love Steve Jobs because things like this don't happen on a Mac. Lies. All lies! In the four months since I have owned an apple product the thing has had to be restored 3 times. Don't believe the hype. The other issue is why in gods name make updates to apple products if, 1) they are perfect 2) so dame huge of a download. The last two updates that I needed to download were 650 and 630 Meg. That is DVD size download. I hate apple products!
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
lovemyraffe

Re: I Love Bill Gates (keithvibe)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »I use malwarebytes, very good program. I also use AVG free... not convinced that it catches everything but so far so good!Both of these programs I would recommend to have on any Windows PC.Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »Lies. All lies! In the four months since I have owned an apple product the thing has had to be restored 3 times. Don't believe the hype. The other issue is why in gods name make updates to apple products if, 1) they are perfect 2) so dame huge of a download. The last two updates that I needed to download were 650 and 630 Meg. That is DVD size download. I hate apple products!You are right Keith. There are some problems with Mac. I'm not sure why you would have to restore it 3 times in the first 4 months. It sounds more like you have a lemon.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
10vibe

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by 10vibe »

I used AVG Free for a while and really liked it. I think the reason I moved on was that one of the updates slowed system startup down, and there might of been other update problems, cannot remember. I think it was around avg 8. Avira Antivir started to sometimes have update connection problems too for a little while. Microsoft Security Essentials, although not rated as high in a somewhat old test as Avira, is very seamless and the auto updates work flawlessly. I do not worry about Microsoft's anti-virus misreading a critical operating system component as a virus and quarantining it or deleting it and bricking the system like some of the other anti-viruses have. I occasionally will load either Avira or Security Essential on a machine that has the other as primary, just to run a scan or two to kind of overlap protection, then usually will uninstall it. Some years of Norton's were just horrible, acting like malware, slowing everything down and having update problems. Mcafee was a real headache the couple years I used it, trying to troubleshoot problems with it updating or conflicting with things, causing connection and other problems. A lot of these problems, though, were with Win XP before SP2. Aol software or Netzero and dial up played a role too. Glad those days are over. It is amazing how Xp got so much better in the last few years, especially after a fresh install with SP3 and also going broadband. It is the operating system it should of been from the start. Whenever I have to follow a link that was sent to me that I do not trust or know about, I still boot into Linux first. If I have to download something I am iffy about it is usually in Linux too. I usually scan Linux with the free clam anti-virus. I wish there were easier ways to install other anti-virus software. Even if Linux is pretty safe because of design and obscurity, I still do not want to pass something on that could affect another machine or operating system. Linux Mint and Ubuntu are my favorites. This might change with the release of 11.04 and the Unity desktop interface. Mint Debian might be the winner. The problem with being a rampant fanboy of Linux is that I also like capitalism and corporations that pay huge tax revenue from their sales, not to mention employ others that buy things and pay taxes that fund our Governments and its programs. I Am crazy that way. I have not figured out a business model that makes Linux pay off in any way for tax revenue or profits and that would fund a comfortable way of life and standard of living, unless it is all about servicing a business enterprise contract. There is no compatible way to protect ones work or have proprietary control and security to build a company and a life with it either. The Linux philosophy could be really insidious and destructive to the current structures of economics and Governments. In general free-ware could be construed in the same way.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Avira Free is an great program. Trend micro is a PITA to deal with and uninstall. We finally dumped it at work. We have an unknown anti-virus (unknown to me anyway) and we'll see how it works out.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
jake75

Re: (10vibe1.8auto)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by 10vibe1.8auto »Jake75:These are probably the instructions that you followed, but just in case:[url=http://esupport.trendmicro.com/6/How-do ... -Dell.aspx]http:Just some suggestions for everybody, but I could be wrong:For when your new antivirus expires maybe look at freeware:That's the link where I got the uninstall program. I'll check out those others.As for "freeware" - if you watch the sale and rebate deals at Staples you can get a lot of commercial av software essentailly for free.
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »I blame it on Trend Micro. At least it was easy to get my computer back working. I thank Bill Gates for that system restore. If I ever get this damn Trend Micro program off I think I will install a Norton product.I got a virus while Norton (which came on my HP laptop) was installed. So I switched to Kaspersky and have been happier.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »........ think I will install a Norton product.God no...please don't do that. There are much better products that are free and won't suck down system resources. AVG, Avast, even Microsoft Security Essentials are all better than Norton's IMO.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving