Cost of Braces?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
vibe2.1

Cost of Braces?

Post by vibe2.1 »

Today, my kids went for their 6 month check-up with an orthodontist.The Dr. says my 10 year old is ready for full braces. She will probably wear them for 2 to 2.5 years. Estimated cost: $5000 to $5500.The Dr. says my 8 year old needs braces on the bottoms only, to make room for a tooth to come in. She will probably wear these for up to 1 year and maybe need full braces later, maybe not. Cost $1250.Do these costs sound reasonable to you?
ou.grizzly

Re: Cost of Braces? (vibe2.1)

Post by ou.grizzly »

What Orthodontist are you using and what does your insurance cover?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Yeah, those prices seem about right. Near what the price for mine were. Insurance MAJORLY helps. Your 10 years old is what they about mine, but in reality it's been a year and month since I got mine in, and at my next tightening they say they'll be doing the final adjustments. Yay!!And just so you know, this is some of the greatest pain your kids will have felt to date. They will resent you after they get them in, and after their bi-monthly tightening. Just don't make it harder on them by expecting them to not complain, don't use the money excuse, and whatever you do, don't serve anything that requires too much chewing. I was on soup for two weeks after I got mine put in. Even mushy cornflakes hurt.But in the end, they'll appreciate it. I do. But I do suggest making sure that it's better to get them now, as opposed to later.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

those costs sound reasonable-costs and time wearing them will vary widely based upon the extent of what needs to be accomplished.if the cost seems like too much, just remember that this all could have been prevented if you and your spouse had just passed on better tooth genetics!
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
09vGT

Re: Cost of Braces? (ou.grizzly)

Post by 09vGT »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »What Orthodontist are you using and what does your insurance cover? I don't think insurance covers braces, because its cosmetic. Ours didn't anyway. Me and my brother had them at the same time, mine were in the 5K range.. his was in the mid 6K range, but he had a really messed up mouth. Be ready for your kids to be cranky.. They HURT! See if they have permanent retainers too, they are nice, I have two; one under the top 4 teeth, and one under the bottom 4 teeth.
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

Ehh, just make sure they wear their retainers for the required time after the braces come off! I broke mine and never went back to get a new one and sure enough... 2yrs of braces (and money) down the drain.
Whelan

Re: Cost of Braces? (epcIII)

Post by Whelan »

My braces were on for almost two years and cost my rents between 5-6K.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
futureviber

Post by futureviber »

I had mine for almost 2 years. in the 5k range (10 years ago). Your kids are so young I honestly would advise getting a second opinion/waiting. I know plenty of people who got them young like that - did everything right and then needed them again when they were older because they weren't done growing.I know when that much money is being discussed you want to do it right - and you both (you and the kids) want to only do it once.Good luck!
tpollauf

Re: (futureviber)

Post by tpollauf »

I agree with most of the others here. Those costs are pretty much inline with today's economy. My son just got his off a few months ago and it was a $5500 ordeal. He's 16 and had them on for 2 years. Me on the other hand, got them on at 15 years of age and they came off 3-1/2 years later Needless to say I only smiled for ONE of my four high school pictures back them. I don't remember the costs (which my parents paid for) but when they finally came off, I had to pay HALF for bridges to go on my lower teeth, both sides Not complaining today as they are both still there in pretty good shape 35 years later
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Cougar Vibe

Re: Cost of Braces?

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Might be cheaper to move to England.

I kid, I kid.

When my daughter's time comes for braces, I'll most likely end up trading veterinary services to the dentist, a family friend. Lord knows if it runs $5-6K, I'll be doing a lot of pets for him...

Cougar Vibe
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Braces are pretty amazing. They hurt a lot for a long time (as in enough to feel slightly unhappy) but my teeth all fit together comfortably now even though I only had a slight overbite and like...two crooked teeth. When it's time to move on to the retainer, make sure that if they stupidly break a mold of your teeth, they'll replace it for free. I had to stop wearing mind because they broke the lower jaw...and guess which retainer was really tiny and easy to lose? Yeah.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

lannvouivre wrote: guess which retainer was really tiny and easy to lose? Yeah.
Answer: The UPPER retainer :o Yeah it was really easy to lose especially when you put it in an empty beer glass at a local night club. Then they come around to clean up your table when you are not looking ... then Bye-Bye retainer :evil: This happened to me some 35+ years ago during the disco era when I was hitting all the clubs.

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Tim went to the disco?
Not surprised...

I'm super glad my braces are off. They day I don't necessarily need my retainer every night now, either. And since I got all four of my wisdom teeth pulled (stayed awake, washed the Vibe after the appointment) my mouth is in great shape. I just need to polish it and keep it in alignment. Hopefully my retainer will stay in good enough shape to hold me out for the next few years, or until I can get a better alternative.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

On a similar topic, my boyfriend went to the dentist for the first time in his life earlier this week.

16 cavities, gingivitis. So much for saving up for a car for him. Sigh.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

You know what they say, if you ignore your teeth, they'll leave you alone. ;)
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

lannvouivre wrote:On a similar topic, my boyfriend went to the dentist for the first time in his life earlier this week.

16 cavities, gingivitis. So much for saving up for a car for him. Sigh.
(removed). someone who takes that poor of care of themselves is probably not husband material.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Zimm wrote:(removed). someone who takes that poor of care of themselves is probably not husband material.
He brushes and flosses better than me. Like I said, he's never been to the dentist before. Not because he didn't want to go, but because he couldn't before.

As for marriage, I'm not interested in marriage at all with anyone. Sharing and not flying solo is the pits :(
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

lannvouivre wrote:
As for marriage, I'm not interested in marriage at all with anyone.
Smart girl :D

It's also possible that he lives in an area where the municipal water facility (if there is one) does not add Fluoride to the water. It is proven that this alone substantially helps us humans in controlling any serious dental issues.

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

tpollauf wrote:t's also possible that he lives in an area where the municipal water facility (if there is one) does not add Fluoride to the water. It is proven that this alone substantially helps us humans in controlling any serious dental issues.
;)

We do not drink the tap water here. It's...well, it smells like fish and tastes likes chlorine, dirt, and broken dreams.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

lannvouivre wrote:
tpollauf wrote:t's also possible that he lives in an area where the municipal water facility (if there is one) does not add Fluoride to the water. It is proven that this alone substantially helps us humans in controlling any serious dental issues.
;)

We do not drink the tap water here. It's...well, it smells like fish and tastes likes chlorine, dirt, and broken dreams.
if you're buying bottled water, hopefully it's fluoridated by the bottler. studies show that people who drink unfluoridated water have a rate of cavity instances 40% higher than people who drink fluoridated water. in lieu of that, there are lots of fluoridated mouthrinses that can provide supplemental fluoride for people at a high risk for cavities (or who already have 16!).

i'm a dental hygienist, not just a random fluoride advocate... but your oral health is directly linked to your overall health!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Zimm wrote:i'm a dental hygienist, not just a random fluoride advocate... but your oral health is directly linked to your overall health!
We actually do have fluoride rinse that he's been using every night since he moved out (two years), but I don't think our bottled water is fluoridated.

My favorite hygienist is moving to Houston...and she's the only one I've ever had that is good at cleaning teeth painlessly! Everyone else would accidentally shank my gums numerous times.