Time to upgrade (Verizon)

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
AZViking

Time to upgrade (Verizon)

Post by AZViking »

My wife and I are now eligible for our "new every two" from Verizon. We currently have LG enV2's, and were hoping for similar features (qwerty and at least 2MP camera since I take lots of pictures with the phone of my kids). We found the LG Octane (basically an enV4), which is ok I guess. I was hoping to find a smartphone that wouldn't require a data plan, since some of the new smartphones have 8MP cameras (enV2 has 2.0MP and the Octane has 3.2MP). The guy at Best Buy Mobile claimed that Verizon was going to re-think their data plan requirements for smart phones. Anyone else hear this?In any case, our contract expires in June, so we have some time to browse.
2015 Kia Sorento 32,000 miles, 2010 Kia Sportage LX, 68,000 miles
lovemyraffe

Re: Time to upgrade (AZViking)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Verizon is "rethinking" their policies on their data plans. When I upgraded last fall, I was told that most (90%) of the phones were requiring at least some sort of data plan of $10. I felt if I was going to pay for a data plan, I might as well use it. I ended up with a Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate and it has been great so far. Although I don't like paying an extra $30 for the data plan, I get my $ worth out of it.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
AZViking

Re: Time to upgrade (lovemyraffe)

Post by AZViking »

I guess my biggest gripe is that they don't offer many options for the non-"data plan required" phones. Two years ago when we bought our enV2's, there were plenty of options for what is now considered a 'feature phone'. I'm not a fan of adding anything for $X.XX a month to any expense. I still get 'we miss you' letters from SiriusXM offering $5/month for 6 months, even though I told them NO over the phone several times. I just need to find out a way to get approved for a phone from my employer. (like that will ever happen) I can dream, though.
MotoAce51

Post by MotoAce51 »

I hear you there. I am still using my Dare because I don't want to upgrade to a data plan. I already pay $180/ mo. And the $10 data plan is useless so I would pay the extra $30. Then if my fiance wants one its another $30. And so on and so on... Still cant see getting rid of Verizon.
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
psiu

Post by psiu »

Well things may be changed by this summer anyway with the introduction of their 4G (aka LTE) service and new ways to empty your wallet. If lucky, they will still have a $15 plan so you could get a smartphone with but not pay out the nose for it. Or Maybe consider just one smart phone (yours!! ) and your wife can have a texting machine Of course as mentioned, they do seem to be locking the feature phones into requiring some sort of data and leaving NOTHING for the bottom end of the scale (ie if it has qwerty (removed) it has a feature!).We have VZW as well. I do get about $15/month off with an employer discount, check into that as a possibility. Should be able to just bring in your paystub and have it apply immediately.
AZViking

Re: (psiu)

Post by AZViking »

I guess we might as well go with the LG Octane while we still can get away with not having any data plan at all. My wife started our cell account about a month before we got married (in 2002), so her phone is the primary line and mine is the secondary. So, whatever smartphone special (buy one smart phone, get a basic phone free) would end up in her favor.We already get an 18% discount through my wife's employer. Other engineers in my department have company-provided phones, but since I don't travel with my job, nor do I interact with customers, I don't need a company phone (which include Motorola Droid Pro)
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

On my last upgrade, I purchased a smart phone. I only bought it because of the features the phone provided, not to surf the web. The minimum data plan was $15 per month. Of course I didn't want to pay and I too figured I would try to get my money's worth out of it. I'm glad I did....the convenience of being able to pick up email anywhere is worth it. Besides, I do think I can spend 50 cents a day on myself.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
psiu

Post by psiu »

And the data can be eaten up quickly. I usually average around 500MB/mo and that is using Google Navigation, email, and web browsing on my breaks at work. No music streaming all day or large downloads away from home (and wifi) to get that kind of usage. Edit: Also, I would never go back to a normal phone
Whelan

Re: (psiu)

Post by Whelan »

If you buy ANY phone at Verizon that COULD use data, then you are charged an automatic $9.99 a month. It is no longer optional and you get 25MB a month regardless if you want it or not.My fiance never uses data yet they charge her EnV2 that fee. As for the data plans themselves, I'm not sure what the options are as when I had the BB Storm 9530 it was $29.99 for the BB network which gave you everything. I upgraded my NE2 to the iphone4 this month (finally!) and they offered the same $29.99 for Unlimited Data. I'm sure down the road soon they will be re-vamping because Verizon is doing away with NE2. So if you have it available, this is your last time to use it. They are going to start working towards yearly plans since new phones are coming out so quickly that keeping people stuck for 2 years is not cost effective when they can make money on upgrades. So they will put into effect a new system of upgrading and customer loyalty I am sure.For more info head to the VZW website and check out the forums, they are very informative.Any other questions I can probably help with since I have been with them for almost a decade now.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
AZViking

Re: (Whelan)

Post by AZViking »

Thanks, I'll have to look at our bill again to see if they snuck in the 9.99 data plan for our phones. We've had the env2 for two years now, but we've basically had the same overall plan since 2002. I think we need to go over our plan when we renew since we're still only getting 50 text/pix messages a month to non-verizon phones (and it looks like its 250 messages a month for the same rate).My Mom is still on alltel/ATT, so if we aren't careful, she'll send us over our 50 messages a month. (50 messages shared between our two vzw phones)
Whelan

Re: (AZViking)

Post by Whelan »

We have a family plan with unlimited text. I actually had to upgrade to the 1400 minute plan cause she talks with her mom a lot and that is a cell to home call. With the 1400 we were able to add 10 people to a call list that we can call or have call us at no extra minute usage.Still free calls to mobiles on any network though.Plus with my office I get a 20% discount on my phone and data plan.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT