Standing water in dishwasher?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
808 Vibes

Standing water in dishwasher?

Post by 808 Vibes »

What would cause water to be left standing in the dishwasher after it's done? I bailed out the water, checked the overfill protector, took off the lower spray arm, trap and filter, found nothing clogging, so could it be something on the sink or disposal end?
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
keithvibe

Re: Standing water in dishwasher? (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by keithvibe »

we have the same problem with ours... been that way since day 1.I never could figure out the problem... so we have a brand new dishwasher that we never use... lol
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »....so could it be something on the sink or disposal end? If the dishwasher worked normally before, I would say yes. My disposal side of the sink will fill with water when the dishwasher purges if the sink drains are even slightly clogged. Usually turning on the disposal and running hot water down it with dish washing detergent will clear it up. I would start with that first and see how it works.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
wt2ga

Post by wt2ga »

Kari

Post by Kari »

I would try cleaning out the disposal -- pour some baking soda in there, follow it with vinegar, let it sit for a few minutes until it fizzles out, then run the disposal with HOT water on. When we had a disposal, I would also regularly run clean ice through it to knock off larger chunks of food and that worked well too. Sounds awful but it works. Then rinse it with hot water.
GenVibe Global Moderator
jake75

Re: Standing water in dishwasher? (keithvibe)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »we have the same problem with ours... been that way since day 1.I never could figure out the problem... so we have a brand new dishwasher that we never use... lolWere you aware that most dishwashers come with a warranty!
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Re: Standing water in dishwasher? (jake75)

Post by jake75 »

The dishwasher pump that expels the water generally runs for a short time after the water in the dishwasher is emptied to allow it to drain. But if the water draining through the disposal is very slow there could be water remaining in the disposal chamber that will flow back when the pump stops. The problem might be a clogged drainpipe that does not allow the water to drain fast enough.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
keithvibe

Re: Standing water in dishwasher? (jake75)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »Were you aware that most dishwashers come with a warranty! the warranty was already up when we bought the house.The previous owners never got it fixed either.Ours used to go threw the disposal it was plumbed in to a single basin. I put in a new sink with a double basin. The disposal goes threw the half now without the disposal mounted and we still have the issue. My next step is to add in an air break and see if that helps. Doubtful though
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

The one thing I never mess with is plumbing. Sounds like a job for "plumberman". There is always the possibility that there is something wrong with the dishwasher. As a labor saving and also a sanitary device nothing beats a dishwasher.It is one thing that I could not live without.40 years ago we moved to an older apartment that had no dishwasher. One of the first things we bought was one of the dishwashers that hooked up to the kitchen faucet. At the time it cost a little under $200. It worked fine. When we bought our first home the dishwasher was kaput. New one was bought and inbstalled on day 1.Ten years ago we had to move in with my father as he was pushing 90 and needed assistance - it was that or him going to a nursing home. The first thing I did before we moved was have a dishwasher installed. Bought a top of the line Maytag floor sample for $400. Fortunately there was a 24" cabinet that was easily modified. It is still working.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Keith: I have a suggestion for you. As one who does all his own repairs, even when I don't know what I'm doing, here is a little known fact that even half of the plumbers I have encountered don't know:YOU HAVE TO KNOCK OUT THE METAL PLUG INSIDE THE INSINKERATOR WHERE THE WASTE WATER LINE FROM THE DISHWASHER EMPTIES IN. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this. People get a new insinkerator, have it installed, hook up their dishwasher waste disposal line, and VOILA: the water has nowhere to empty and it just sits in the dishwasher. Why they put those stupid metal plugs (which you have to knock out with a hammer and screwdriver) in the insinkerators, I'll never understand.
keithvibe

Re: Standing water in dishwasher? (Caretaker)

Post by keithvibe »

thanks for the tip. I no longer have the dishwasher draining in to the disposal. It's on it's own drain now.Still have the same issue. :shrug:
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Anything above that uses the same drain?
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
Houston

Post by Houston »

I have an old Sears dishwasher and still have the manual. The manual says that a little water (about 1/2 inch) is supposed to remain at the bottom to keep the seal from drying out between uses. Fact is, I use my washer so little that I add a little water to it every week to compensate for evaporation.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
keithvibe

Re: Standing water in dishwasher? (Houston)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Houston »I have an old Sears dishwasher and still have the manual. The manual says that a little water (about 1/2 inch) is supposed to remain at the bottom to keep the seal from drying out between uses. Fact is, I use my washer so little that I add a little water to it every week to compensate for evaporation.Our problem is, it stagnates and stinks. I'm sure HPL is having a problem like this.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

It's one of two things. Either the pump is bad or a plug somewhere. The pump assy is about $100 depending on make and model.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Years ago, during my party days, my staff-accom apartment had an old dishwasher (1988ish model) that wouldn't drain. It ran fine, went through the cycles but would never drain the water. So one day I pulled the bottom cover and watched as the machine went into the drain part of the cycle. The solenoid was burnt but the drain arm was right in front, easily reached. So I disconnected the solenoid from the arm and started the dishwaher. It filled up and ran. Then I reached under, pulled the drain arm and Hazaa!!! It drained!!! When all the water was out it made an "empty pump" sound and the drain arm automatically reset itself! I marked the fill points on the knob, attached a string to the drain arm and there we go! A manual, but functional dishwasher!!! Sure beat the hell out of washing dishes by hand (which I hate doing)!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
808 Vibes

Re: (rmckinjr)

Post by 808 Vibes »

This was no half inch of water...it was at the bottom of the inside of door. It took me about an hour to scoop all the water out completely all the way down to to the parts under the filter. I left the door open to try to get rid of the smell it was worse than dirty fish tank or pond scum. I thought a gecko crawled in and died...it was just that bad. The disposal plug is out...I watched the appliance guy who installed it take it out, because he's the one who installed the dishwasher.I will try all the suggestions and see what happens the next time I use it...thank you everybody!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

When ours did this, it was the pump.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
jammies

Re: (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by jammies »

In addition to the other suggestions, I would check the drain line between your dishwasher and the under sink garbage disposer/drain line. The drain line SHOULD ascend to a point higher than the connection with the under sink garbage disposer/drain line. Meaning the drain line from your dishwasher should go uphill and touch the underside of your countertop ( assuming built in unit ) and then drop to a point where it connects with your under sink garbage disposer/drain line. Near this point there SHOULD also be a functioning anti-siphoning valve.If neither are true, this would allow water to flow back into your disposer.But as suggested, it could also be your pump, or your drain lines/disposer, are impeding the dishwasher’s effort to pump out the water. So you may have a clog or narrowing of pipes. Check your trap under your sink.
808 Vibes

Re: (jammies)

Post by 808 Vibes »

I have no idea what you just said, but I can post a pic of the undersink area tomorrow when there's light.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

what jammies is saying is you should have something like this mounted to the top of your counter^^^adding this to my set up is my next step.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

my dishwasher is 90 percent water, always works and doesn't waste electricity
Houston

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by Houston »

My 26 year old Kenmore is set up like that, EXCEPT it doesn't have the air vent on the sink. My discharge hose loops up to just under the counter and than goes down into the disposal. It's still running good with never a problem, so I assume that vent isn't required (except possibly by more recent local code).Happy New Year, everybody. Let's hope 2011 is better than 2010.
keithvibe

Re: (Houston)

Post by keithvibe »

It's code in certain areas. It's huge debate about back flow
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Houston

Post by Houston »

If I am correct in thinking that your washer is on the left side in this photo, then your dishwasher discharge hose does not have the needed loop heading up to just beneath the counter and then coming down to the disposal. Raising it up to just beneath the counter (so that the end comes downward toward your disposal) will eliminate your problem. You may need to put an extension to that hose to do this, but that's easily done.
keithvibe

Re: (Houston)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Houston »If I am correct in thinking that your washer is on the left side in this photo, then your dishwasher discharge hose does not have the needed loop heading up to just beneath the counter and then coming down to the disposal. Raising it up to just beneath the counter (so that the end comes downward toward your disposal) will eliminate your problem. You may need to put an extension to that hose to do this, but that's easily done. ^^^ this move the hose so that it goes much higher... As of right now you have churned up food going down in to your dishwasher. Yummy!Fix that hose and it should improve.EDIT:My wife used the dishwasher for us for the first time since thanksgiving and again... about 4-5inches of water left in the bottom of the dishwasher... I am ready to rip it out and throw it out... I'm done!
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

I just threw in a load and watched the water go up the tube, heard it go down the drain, felt it was hot water in the tube, and when it was done, slowly opened the door (that took guts LOL) to find no water in there! yaaaaaaaaay!!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »^^^ this move the hose so that it goes much higher... As of right now you have churned up food going down in to your dishwasher. Yummy!Fix that hose and it should improve.EDIT:My wife used the dishwasher for us for the first time since thanksgiving and again... about 4-5inches of water left in the bottom of the dishwasher... I am ready to rip it out and throw it out... I'm done!Perhaps you need to Ultimate Retrofit it? LOL
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
jammies

Post by jammies »

Sounds good.Did you make any changes/repairs/do anything different or did your dishwasher work like it should all on its own?
808 Vibes

Re: (jammies)

Post by 808 Vibes »

I just did what Kari suggested with the baking soda, vinegar and ice cubes. I was lucky....this time...
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

You still are getting food backflowed into your dishwasher not to mention bacteria... You really should at least re-run the hose as it's been suggested to have the upside down U shape.
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

...and it's gonna have to wait until I can afford to hire a plumber or find a new boy toy...I'll leave the plumbing stuff to those who know WTH they're doing...
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Houston

Post by Houston »

Pay my way to your house and I'll do it for free!
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

This is easy stuff, HPL. Do you really want to have to pay a plumber $40-$50 just to come out, then another $100+ to do a simple job? I'd hate to see you, or anybody pay a professional for this.We don't have a disposal because we have a septic system, and the two are not compatible. But when we moved in to our new house 6, almost 7 yrs ago the drain hose from my dishwasher came into the sink cabinet from the back-bottom, looped up past the point where it enters the drain, nearly to the underside of the counter top (think an upside-down "U",) was held there by a STRING(!!!) tied around to one of the sink bolts(?) and then down to the drain inlet. I have since replaced the requite string using a plastic wire tether (loop w/a screw hole.) Save your money. You CAN do this!! I have faith in you. WE ALL have faith in you to do this.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
808 Vibes

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

^ Thank you, but a good reason for my lack of confidence for this: WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much drywall. Quote, originally posted by Houston »Pay my way to your house and I'll do it for free! Thank you, but I think I can (I think I can, I think I can, I think...) find a new boy toy (who's good with his big manly hands and some special plumbing tool, I suspect) before I could afford to buy you a ticket.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »^ Thank you, but a good reason for my lack of confidence for this: WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much drywall. I don't think I understand? You mean there is too much drywall in the way, or you've installed too much drywall in the past?
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Too much drywall in the house with parts of it already with water damage
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »Too much drywall in the house with parts of it already with water damageI think she is saying she don't want to damage anything else in the house.Honestly it's not hard.. there will be a clamp on the end of the hose where it meets the disposal... losen it. Then remove the hose from the disposal pull it back threw the hole where the diswasher is then loop it up over the cabinet under the counter top then reattach it to the disposal and retighten the hose clamp.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

This is what mine looks like....I should add that the black thing partially hidden behind the sink drain is the vent/check valve.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

minedisposal endThen it loops up over the cabinet just under the counter top then down to the dishwasher.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Hey Bud, You need to enable MACROS when taking close ups. Your close up pics will come out much clearer.Just sayin'.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

it's not my good camera