Bug identification pros, this one's for you...

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
jkm311

Bug identification pros, this one's for you...

Post by jkm311 »

We're going WAY off topic with this one. Hang on tight...Right at dusk tonight, my wife and I noticed dozens and dozens of insects flying in a concentrated area in the huge tree in our front yard. Right away, I thought "bees making a nest." They looked like bees from afar: oval bodies, speed of flight, coloring, etc. So, I get online and research how to get rid of them, buy the appropriate items, wear the protective garb (who knows how big the possible nest could be!), wait until dark (least active time for bees), grab a flashlight and head outside.Well... they're not bees. I could not find a nest. In fact, now that it is pitch black out, I can see they are spread out amongst many, many leaves across the bottom/lowest hanging branches, hardly moving. I saw two that were flying around, but not as frantic as during daylight. And half of them are, well... mating. Paired up, and doing you know what.I thought, "Google and the internets to the rescue!" I have some proven facts: I'm in the midwest, these suckers fly, love trees day and night, mate during early summer and are more of a dark gold in color with brown wings. Well, believe it or not, I looked for an hour straight and NOTHING. I thought they were the Emerald Ash Borer, but every pic I have found of them... not a match. Unless this is an early "stage" that isn't photographed and documented, but I highly doubt it. I have found a lot of sites that are very thorough, and believe they would have proof of such things.Once again, "help me GenVibe, you're my only Off Topic hope."
Steelies to the rescue.
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Maybe a pic? As in a picture of the bug..
tpollauf

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (jkm311)

Post by tpollauf »

Can you say .... GRUBS !!!!! That's exactly what you have! Kill these beetles before they lay eggs and spare your yard next spring!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jkm311

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (tpollauf)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »Maybe a pic? As in a picture of the bug.. Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »Can you say .... GRUBS !!!!! That's exactly what you have! Kill these beetles before they lay eggs and spare your yard next spring!We get Japanese Beetles each year, but these look different, Tim. Wondering if the traps we use for the Japanese kind will work?
Steelies to the rescue.
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

I've seen them before flying around.. and sometimes on my shirt.. UGH!.. I HATE bugs..But sorry.. I don't know the name of them!
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Looks like a june bug to mebut i dont think june bugs fly
REDHOTROB

Post by REDHOTROB »

June Bugs are what they are. They do fly. Disgusting little critters. They will go away on their own they seem to have a short season.
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

we have grasshoppers EVERYWHERE here. ALL over store windows and all in teh parking lots. All over the poor Vibes! Happens every year and then they go away.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by REDHOTROB »June Bugs are what they are. They do fly. Disgusting little critters. They will go away on their own they seem to have a short season.They do kinda' look like a June Bug, and June Bugs do fly... though not in a very directed way. At least not around here. I'm guessing they don't see very well, or perhaps their wings are barely adequate for their body weight. In any case, they don't usually fly for extended periods and fall down a lot!! June bugs nest and come up from the ground and are especially attracted by lights. Ours here in Texas are a little more brownish-red than that picture shows. I am not aware of ours mating in, or even hanging out in trees either. Here, they are primarily a ground bug that will fly around for a while usually coming to a very bad landing, then flop around on their backs until they can right themselves again, if they ever do. I think they are the dumbest bugs I have ever known. They sure seem like they have no clue.Could these, the ones you're seeing be an early adult stage of a Cicada? I'd get rid of them whatever they are. They probably don't have your yards best intentions in mind.Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »we have grasshoppers EVERYWHERE here. ALL over store windows and all in the parking lots. All over the poor Vibes! Happens every year and then they go away. I saw that here for the first time about 10 yrs ago!!! They COVERED EVERYTHING, especially if it was in the shade or partially shaded.Then they went away for a few years, and now the cycle seems to be starting again. 'Seen more of those leaf eaters this year than since that invasion in 2000.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
jkm311

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (06pvibe)

Post by jkm311 »

Cicada was also on my list of possibles, but I just don't see these things "evolving" to what I know a cicada to look like. But who knows. They were all gone this morning. Completely. They're probably in my dang lawn...
Steelies to the rescue.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »Cicada was also on my list of possibles, but I just don't see these things "evolving" to what I know a cicada to look like. But who knows. They were all gone this morning. Completely. They're probably in my dang lawn... Well, then I would say you have a June Bug on your hands....I just dug this one out of our pool, saved it from drowning so I could take this picture and squash it's little brains out.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
A Psycho Martyr

I saw this crime solving show where this guys alibi said he was in one state, but he was a suspect for murder in another. After extensive investigation, they decided to check his car for any clues that he was out of state. Some bug expdert lady picked bug pieces out of his radiator and pieced them together finding two species of beetle only found in 2 states, one of which was where the murder was. So he was proven guilty because that proved he lied about not being in that state, so he had NO alibi.lol This thread totally reminds me of that show
Wolfman213

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by Wolfman213 »

Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »I saw this crime solving show where this guys alibi said he was in one state, but he was a suspect for murder in another. After extensive investigation, they decided to check his car for any clues that he was out of state. Some bug expdert lady picked bug pieces out of his radiator and pieced them together finding two species of beetle only found in 2 states, one of which was where the murder was. So he was proven guilty because that proved he lied about not being in that state, so he had NO alibi.lol This thread totally reminds me of that show Dude!!!! I just freaking watch that show the other day!!!! Extreme Forensics!!! Ok, got a little to excited about that hahaha
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

Hungry? http://www.google.com/imgres?i...3_e0E (Scroll down a little...)
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »I saw this crime solving show where this guys alibi said he was in one state, but he was a suspect for murder in another. After extensive investigation, they decided to check his car for any clues that he was out of state. Some bug expdert lady picked bug pieces out of his radiator and pieced them together finding two species of beetle only found in 2 states, one of which was where the murder was. So he was proven guilty because that proved he lied about not being in that state, so he had NO alibi.lol This thread totally reminds me of that show all that proves is that the car was in that state! It doesn't prove that he was driving it in that state let alone commit a murder.Who has ever completely cleaned out their radiator of bugs? sorry for going off topic!
A Psycho Martyr

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (zionzr2)

Thought I'd bump this thread instead of starting another, so check this out.Doin yardwork today and I saw WAY too many of these to wanna walk barefoot in my yard ever again!I caught this one
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Brandon, what the heck is that? A bee? An ant? I can't tell....
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Dayam! All insects are bigger in the south, that thing is ridiculous!
Herb

Post by Herb »

Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

I never saw one like that before. That's wild... and BIG!!!Do they bite or sting like fire ants do? Now those I know something about.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (06pvibe)

dude i friggin HATE!!!!! fire antsthey hurt SOOO bad. When my dog got into them a couple years ago she was all bruised up and purple and green frog the bites.And heres a youtube vid that show this things stinger
06pvibe

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by 06pvibe »

I don't know, Man. That thing looks totally nasty... maybe nastier than a fire ant would be. Do they make that noise as on the video? That ching-ching noise?For the record, I hate fire ants too. They are so hard to get rid of and attack anything they feel is threatening their nests. We put out food for them all the time but it never gets rid of all of them. Since new queens and males will fly up and mate up to 800' in the air, even if you could rid yourself of all the ones you have, other new queens will fall back to earth as the wind carries them and begin new colonies there... and "there" could be your yard, or anywhere. It's hard to know where to be in your own yard sometimes.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (06pvibe)

they really make the noise... it's almost a chirp.... very cricket-esque
morbay

Post by morbay »

This guy was hanging outside our dining room window in a nice big web.
Rob Pettigrew2009 Ultra White 2.4 AWDPearl White Arrowhead overlaysPainted Calipers October 2010 MOTM
PHXLavaVibe

Post by PHXLavaVibe »

Thank you for posting this bug! I came across one very simular, a couple weeks ago in my back yard. freaked me out, because I have never seen anything like it before. Since then I have seen a total of 4 of them around my house.Infact I saw the last one on Saturday while talking to my exterminator. He couldn't identify it so he took it with him and said he would let me know as soon as he finds out. After seeing your post and searching Google I am so glad my daughter didn't come near it. I can only imagine the pain she or I for that matter would have felt. The only noise I heard was a loud crunch when i stepped on it (luckily with my boots on).

Attached files
2006 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER Overall...an amazing vehicle for my family and lifestyle!!! Thanks everyone for allowing me to stay on GENVIBE SPECIAL THANKS TO KAMIKAZE FOR THE NEW SIGNATURE
06pvibe

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by 06pvibe »

That's just creepy/weird!!
06pvibe

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (morbay)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by morbay »This guy was hanging outside our dining room window in a nice big web.I can help with that one: It's a Yellow garden spider (Argiope aurantia), similar to the St Andrews Cross spider found in Australia. http://www.bugsinthenews.com/T...X.htmI currently have two of them in our yard that I know of. They don't hurt anybody. Just leave 'em alone. They are a "good" spider. You will be surprised how big they get (and how many bugs they eat getting that way.)
A Psycho Martyr

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (PHXLavaVibe)

Quote, originally posted by PHXLavaVibe » He couldn't identify it so he took it with him and said he would let me know as soon as he finds out.it's actually a wasp! females dont have wings and the males do...weird huh?
morbay

Post by morbay »

He climbed down and left on his own. But that does look similar to him. I won't even get close enough to them to hurt them.
Rob Pettigrew2009 Ultra White 2.4 AWDPearl White Arrowhead overlaysPainted Calipers October 2010 MOTM
kostby

Post by kostby »

Squashed this one with a fly swatter yesterday...

Attached files

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
star_deceiver

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (kostby)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by kostby »Squashed this one with a fly swatter yesterday... FINALLY!!! That thing's been buzzing around here for WEEKS!!!! Glad you whacked it right on the nose!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
808 Vibes

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (star_deceiver)

Post by 808 Vibes »

My turn, my turn! I know you have different bugs there, so might not know, but figured it was worth a shot. I found two of these in my kitchen, and I've had the house for 15-16 years and have never seen these before. They are glossy black, about half an inch long, have a hard shell (?) and seem to play dead. They also seem to prefer walking-I didn't even know they had wings until I found the second one bumping and flying into the light fixture...They are NOT termites.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
06pvibe

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by 06pvibe »

That pretty much looks like a common beetle, HPL. Nothing to be too concerned about just an annoyance.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Yep, that looks like the same ones we find under every streetlight in the summer. How about coming across one of these critters inches from your hand in a dank basement when you're patting around for the water shutoff...
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
06pvibe

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (CAMOGIRL)

Post by 06pvibe »

Ooooo.... Creepy lookin', but probably harmless.
csxt8058

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (CAMOGIRL)

Post by csxt8058 »

I've seen those before where I used to work, always where it was damp. A friend who's into bugs and stuff told me he thought it was in the cricket family. They look really fluid and smooth when moving/crawling. They are harmless indeed. JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Its called a house centipede... Originally it was dubbed acockamouse as per the "how I met your mother"episode. I do believe that my research said it was a relative of the cricket and feed on other bugs.
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
808 Vibes

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you... (csxt8058)

Post by 808 Vibes »

You know, I was gonna post about a huge ant I found last night, but after seeing that.......... my big, wasp-butted ant!!!! Quote, originally posted by csxt8058 »I've seen those before where I used to work, always where it was damp. A friend who's into bugs and stuff told me he thought it was in the cricket family. They look really fluid and smooth when moving/crawling. They are harmless indeed. I'd still kill it! Centipedes are fluid and smooth moving too, and don't they like damp, dark places? Something got THAT many legs, there's no place for you in my house! I don't find centipedes that often, but oh man...I turn all Rambo when I do. *whack, whack* Die, you *smash, smash*
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
A Psycho Martyr

Re: Bug identification pros, this one's for you...

Revival of the bug thread again! :lol:

ok, so this one is weird...never seen these little guys before

Went out to trim my hedges (getting difficult to see out the driveway) and there they were

if you have any idea what these are, lemme know! :?

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

They look like red aphids. I have never seen them before personally, but apparently they are possible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go buy some live ladybugs to sic on them! Woo! And take pictures of the ladybugs, I love me some ladybugs.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
A Psycho Martyr

Yep, you nailed it.

Just found this pic

Apparently some ants will 'milk' the aphids for some junk they secrete and the ants will protect them, even house them in the winter! :o

MIND=BLOWN
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

How about a story about my demented childhood? At the sight of the June bug, I was reminded of wrapping floss around the joint of June bugs' thorax and abdomen, then letting them fly on the end of the floss like a kite. They're one of my favorite bugs to play with because they don't bite.

We also found a praying mantis almost frozen to death outside the other day and brought her inside. The cats haven't found her yet, luckily.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit