WARNING-Another Way Banks Screw You- VISA Debit Cards used for rebates

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
jake75

WARNING-Another Way Banks Screw You- VISA Debit Cards used for rebates

Post by jake75 »

I had two rebates on Norton software products for purchases at Staples.They were provided in the form of a Visa Debit Cards issued by Metbank - sort of like a gift card. The face of the card said "Good thru 9/2010. One was for $40, the other $20. Today when I tried to use them for those amounts they were declined. When I called the 800 number I was informed that per the fine print on the back of these cards beginning 6 months after they were issued there was a $3 per month deduction. So these cars were actually now only worth $34 an $14 respectively. With little argument this call center person - obviously in India - reinstated the full value. I think this is a rip off. One would logically think the card could be used for its face value until the expiration date noted on the front.Before the next $3 deduction on 6-3-10 I will use these cards to buy a $60 Target Gift card that then will have no expiration date.I doubt that Staples realizes what Metabank and Norton are doing to their customers. I have informed Staples of my concerns.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
ponta2147

Re: WARNING-Another Way Banks Screw You- VISA Debit Cards used for rebates (jake75)

Post by ponta2147 »

Gift cards in general have been doing that for ages... pretty much every gift card or "money" card I got when I was younger (though many companies have stopped as people complained)
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
hskater26

Post by hskater26 »

if i didnt use a gift card for 6 months theres a good chance i lost it
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

If they sent you a rebate check instead of the card, would you leave it lay around for 6+ months before you cashed it? If memory serves, rebate checks are often only good for 90 days or at most one year.It doesn't really seem unreasonable to me. They don't want to carry that thing on the books forever.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
jake75

Re: (beemerphile1)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »If they sent you a rebate check instead of the card, would you leave it lay around for 6+ months before you cashed it? If memory serves, rebate checks are often only good for 90 days or at most one year.It doesn't really seem unreasonable to me. They don't want to carry that thing on the books forever.I think you miss the point - the card says "Good thru 9/2010" but when you go to use it you find that they have already started deducting fees, a condition that is disclosed in fine print on the back of the card.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

yeah imo a card, visa, ones like that should hold value until the date they expire. Usually they can be "Recharged" ie. more money added as well. I didnt know that about them, I will be careful now.