Anybody try the Brita water filter pitcher

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
808 Vibes

Anybody try the Brita water filter pitcher

Post by 808 Vibes »

I saw it advertised on sale and have a coupon, just wondering if anyone had this thing, their thoughts on it, if it uses filters and if so how much do those cost? I'm doing multi-weekly store runs for big bottles of water, trying to stock up as much as I can carry at once because me, mini me to be and the dogs don't drink the water from the sink. Thanks in advance
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
morbay

Re: Anybody try the Brita water filter pitcher (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by morbay »

We used to have one, and liked it quite a bit. I see walmart has a 5-pack of filters for 39.99. If you don't replace the filters on the recommended schedule the water will start tasting funny. We moved further out into the country and the water there was not bad like at the apartment. If the water had not improved, we would probably still be using it.
Rob Pettigrew2009 Ultra White 2.4 AWDPearl White Arrowhead overlaysPainted Calipers October 2010 MOTM
Silversn95

Post by Silversn95 »

We had those years ago before we got a fridge with a filtered water dispenser in it. They work but you do have to change the filters as directed or like stated above, the water will taste funny. If I didn't get the fridge I would probably invest in an under the sink filter since the one thing I didn't like about the Brita pitcher is that you are constantly filling it up.
2009 Pontiac Vibe - 1.8L 5-speed 1SB Carbon Gray Metallic with 20% tint
keithvibe

Re: (Silversn95)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Silversn95 »We had those years ago before we got a fridge with a filtered water dispenser in it. They work but you do have to change the filters as directed or like stated above, the water will taste funny. If I didn't get the fridge I would probably invest in an under the sink filter since the one thing I didn't like about the Brita pitcher is that you are constantly filling it up.^^same goes for me.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I had on for a while and really liked it.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

We use one and like it, it does use filters but they're simple to replace, it helps a lot with water flavor.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
Herb

Post by Herb »

I've been using them for years and have been enjoying it. However my mom just had one of those under sink system installed with a spout up top for around $200 and cartridges are around $20 a year so that actually ends up being cheaper long term.I might be considering a similar system after I use up my stock of existing Brita filters
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
lovemyraffe

Re: Anybody try the Brita water filter pitcher (Herb)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I've been using a Pur filtered pitcher for 4 years or so. It works great and not very expensive.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

We've been using a Brita pitcher for years. I'm pleased with it. Our city water is fine, but tastes a little minerally and once in a while has chlorine odor. The Brita neutralizes all that.Since our water is fairly benign, I replace the filter in the Brita about half as often as Brita says you should (they say 2 months, I go about 4). The cost and environmental impacts are far lower than bottled water.If we didn't live in an apartment where we can't make modifications, I'd go with an under sink reverse osmosis system. My parents have one, and the water is awesome, and the overall cost is much lower than the pitcher systems.
2008 Frosty two tone (and 3 other Vibes)
Kari

Post by Kari »

I had one, but hated having to fill it up every time I got a glass of water out of it, so we switched to a faucet filter. I love it! I don't like my water fridge cold anyhow.
GenVibe Global Moderator
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

ya id probably go with a sink version. I got tired of filling up a pitcher. But I live in duluth and lake superior water is fantastical so I dont use filters anymore.
808 Vibes

Re: (northvibe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Thanks everybody! I will see if I can get one this week. Not worried about the environmental impact of the bottles, since I recycle all of them, but I run out of space in between recycle runs, it's just me so I only get a few bucks, and it will be harder to get out on those runs after mini me gets here. My kitchen faucet needs to be replaced, and refrigerator running strong with no problems 16 years later *knocks wood* so this seemed like the obvious route.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

We have one that hooks on to the faucet.. Its is pretty fancy.. since it has a blinky red light when it is time to change the filter..
808 Vibes

Re: (09vGT)

Post by 808 Vibes »

So there's different sizes of these things? The tar get ad one "10-cup" is $29.99, and the longs ad one "includes bonus 16 oz. nalgene bottle" is $17.99, replacement 3 pk filters $18.99.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
star_deceiver

Re: (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by star_deceiver »

Used to have one, never got used... The tap water here is great!!! Although if i lived in a big city with crummy water I'd get another one.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Yeah we had one of these too, but we got sick of filling it up all the time because we drink a lot of water. I just use regular tap water now.... completely unfiltered.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

we have this system http://www.zerowater.com/shop/product/1/ . we got it cause myself and mother started having stomach issues and couldn't stand to drink the city water anymore. has cold, hot, and room temp. while yes you do have to refill it every so often, it has a big tank. we use it for drinking and cooking. even food tastes better when you use filtered water.
None. Vibe is gone.
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

I sell bottled water.Is there no bottled water delivery service where you live? The cheapest water cooler I've seen is at BrandsMart for $38.00 with hot water as well. Get one and just buy the water as you need it.I have many customers that only call me every 3-4 months to re-order their 5-gallon bottles. Which of course is 100% recycled all the time.Where I live, there are machines at the grocery and c-stores that you can fill up your own 5-gallon bottles pretty cheap. You still have to lug them around.As to the filters, they usually only take out the chunky stuff and the replacements are a continueing cost.But then again, water taste and smell is a personal issue.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
BadBrew

Post by BadBrew »

I've been using the Brita filtering system for years now, the only issue is to refill the pitcher all the time so I bought the biggest one I could find.The water tastes way better with it, less chlorine and calcium taste.I'm using it to drink it directly, mixing concentrated juice and in the coffee machine. There much less calcium in the machine thus less vinegar cleanup to do in it and coffee taste better IMO.I'm not using this water for boiling noodles/rice though...
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

i use this system:http://www.aquasana.com/
808 Vibes

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Thanks, everybody...I'm still looking into it...
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
oriden

Post by oriden »

we have one at work for our shop at our landfill site. theres no waterline to the site as it is in a farmer feild, insted the water is trucked in and stored in an under ground tankso the boss bought one for the tap, i guess it wouldnt be nice to drink nd bits floating around in there.
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

I have a few friends who use the tap mounted ones. I prefer those to the pitchers.