So am I the last schmuck to get his tax refund?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Cougar Vibe

So am I the last schmuck to get his tax refund?

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Anybody else waiting on their $$$? I've got $5 large comin'...and it's been burning a hole in my pocket for awhile now.BTW: No, I will not be putting it down on a new car (though I really do like the new Sonata SE).
808 Vibes

Re: So am I the last schmuck to get his tax refund? (Cougar Vibe)

Post by 808 Vibes »

OH NO you're not!! Ours won't start coming out 'til JULY (thanks, governator!) and I filed my taxes IN JANUARY!!! I need new tires all around!! I'm trying not to go too far, hoping these last 'til then...
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Did my taxes 2 weeks ago; State arrived yesterday and waiting on Federal.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

What is this "refund" of which you speak?
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
ou.grizzly

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »What is this "refund" of which you speak? Guess you made too much last year.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »What is this "refund" of which you speak? hahahahahaahah!!!!! i was just about to say...i did my own taxes last 4 years. got money back. then this year, did exactly the same thing, THIS YEAR I 0WE!!!! did my taxes 3 weeks ago. but since i'm not getting anything back, i'll wait til the 14th.refund shmeefund.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
ponta2147

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »hahahahahaahah!!!!! i was just about to say...i did my own taxes last 4 years. got money back. then this year, did exactly the same thing, THIS YEAR I 0WE!!!! did my taxes 3 weeks ago. but since i'm not getting anything back, i'll wait til the 14th.refund shmeefund. Yeah, for me being self employed means... no withholding... so I have to actually write my own checks to the government four times a year... even only making a "low" salary would still be thousands of dollars in taxes. SO painful! Got a good CPA that gets me all my proper deductions but STILL!I keep saying that if you got rid of withholding and everyone had to do what I do (write their own tax checks themselves) you'd see a lot of people suddenly interested in cutting spending and tax reform... lol...
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »What is this "refund" of which you speak? x2
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I never get a refund because I have only a small amount withheld. Seems kind of goofy to make a $5,000 loan to Uncle Sam for a year at ZERO interest. I prefer to owe Uncle Sam on April 15, that way I got to borrow the money interest free!If anyone wants to hand out interest free loans, I'll take it. You can just send me an extra $96 every week and next January I will return your $5,000. Meanwhile, of course, I will be collecting interest on it.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Whelan

Re: (beemerphile1)

Post by Whelan »

That's why it pays to do your taxes early. I got my money back in February
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »I never get a refund because I have only a small amount withheld. Seems kind of goofy to make a $5,000 loan to Uncle Sam for a year at ZERO interest. I prefer to owe Uncle Sam on April 15, that way I got to borrow the money interest free!If anyone wants to hand out interest free loans, I'll take it. You can just send me an extra $96 every week and next January I will return your $5,000. Meanwhile, of course, I will be collecting interest on it.
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Just filed mine yesterday,got the accepted e-MAILMy digital dash in the 85 has been acting up for a few years now,may redo it with new gauges.Been window shoppen on various gauge sites.
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

"Seems kind of goofy to make a $5,000 loan to Uncle Sam for a year at ZERO interest."Ah...it's a little more complicated than that.I have an S-Corp and a large part of my refund are business deductions and equipment write-offs/depreciation that can't necessarily be planned for in advance (especially in this current economic environment). Plus, even if I could accurately plan throughout the year what my deductions should be (which is impossible w/my sort of business), I wouldn't garner much interest anyway as I would probably keep those funds "fluid," meaning 3-month money market accounts which earn zilch these days.So, my "overpayment" is effectively a "rainy day fund" for which I may be losing a quarter point of interest on...not exactly something to write home about. Plus, had I spent that money throughout the year, I probably wouldn't even remember much of what I bought (unlike now, where I have a nice chunk-of-change to play with)...However, I did spend some of it last night (I scored a "Bag of Crap" on Woot!); $8 down the drain!
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

idk if mine are done yet, they were suppose to go to a cpa as I dont have time... but I never assume I get money back, I try to break even.
ponta2147

Re: (Cougar Vibe)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by Cougar Vibe »"Seems kind of goofy to make a $5,000 loan to Uncle Sam for a year at ZERO interest."Ah...it's a little more complicated than that.I have an S-Corp and a large part of my refund are business deductions and equipment write-offs/depreciation that can't necessarily be planned for in advance (especially in this current economic environment). Plus, even if I could accurately plan throughout the year what my deductions should be (which is impossible w/my sort of business), I wouldn't garner much interest anyway as I would probably keep those funds "fluid," meaning 3-month money market accounts which earn zilch these days.So, my "overpayment" is effectively a "rainy day fund" for which I may be losing a quarter point of interest on...not exactly something to write home about. Plus, had I spent that money throughout the year, I probably wouldn't even remember much of what I bought (unlike now, where I have a nice chunk-of-change to play with)...However, I did spend some of it last night (I scored a "Bag of Crap" on Woot!); $8 down the drain!Oh man, S-Corp. We decided to go the LLC-as-Partnership route because we didn't want to deal with all those complicated financial and legal things that are involved with an S-Corp. Totally makes sense, then! I'm sure we will also at some point have overpayments, just because you don't want to get the penalties for underpayments. I was lucky this year that it was my first year of operating the business, so we didn't have underpayment penalties (had to pay a whole lot for the fourth estimated tax payment though).
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »I never get a refund because I have only a small amount withheld. Seems kind of goofy to make a $5,000 loan to Uncle Sam for a year at ZERO interest. I prefer to owe Uncle Sam on April 15, that way I got to borrow the money interest free!If anyone wants to hand out interest free loans, I'll take it. You can just send me an extra $96 every week and next January I will return your $5,000. Meanwhile, of course, I will be collecting interest on it.And with savings accounts running about 0.5% that would get you about $20 max. And you would have to pay tax on that so the net might be $15. [avg of 2,500 x .005 for a year plus $5,000 @ 0.005 apr for 3.5 months]
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
808 Vibes

Re: So am I the last schmuck to get his tax refund? (ou.grizzly)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Did my taxes 2 weeks ago; State arrived yesterday and waiting on Federal. That's strange...I did my taxes 1/27 and the federal was in my account on 2/6. But there's like a cutoff date-when you file determines which batch of refunds yours will get sent from.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

probably not. I have to file an extension for our taxes. Still working on the biz taxes before we can file them. And we should get some money back from the hit we took for 2009.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
oriden

Post by oriden »

just got a check for $1700 cnd last week