Palm Pre Plus Smartphone - Anybody have one?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
BlueCrush

Palm Pre Plus Smartphone - Anybody have one?

Post by BlueCrush »

If so, let me know how you like it? Likes, dislikes, etc...I am fully aware Palms current financial situation. Thanks!!!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ponta2147

Re: Palm Pre Plus Smartphone - Anybody have one? (BlueCrush)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »If so, let me know how you like it? Likes, dislikes, etc...I am fully aware Palms current financial situation. Thanks!!!I want one but they aren't on AT&T Yet!!!!!!My dad got the regular Palm Pre when it first came out on Sprint. He hated the Sprint network here in Chicago so he got rid of it, but I got to use it a bit. I can tell you that, of the touch phones I have tried, it's got a very responsive touch interface. That's actually really impressive because very few touch screen phones impress me all that much. And it felt really cool in my hands, like it belonged there. But I know they made some tweaks to the Plus, which I haven't tried...
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

my roommate has one and he loves it, but it does have some quirks. its pretty fast, theres a hack as well to over clock the cpu. But if you have one of those sprint at home routers it has a hard time switching between that and a real tower. There arent that many apps out for it, but its open source so anyone can make apps for it for free. I think I prefer a droid 2.1 os over the palm though...but i do dig the phone. The keyboard is tiny, you have to use fingernails to poke the keys not your finger pads. if you dont want it for stupid games like the 800000000 million the iphone has you'd probably be fine. I like having a ton of games for the iphone so I can play while I'm bored everywhere.
ponta2147

Re: (northvibe)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »my roommate has one and he loves it, but it does have some quirks. its pretty fast, theres a hack as well to over clock the cpu. But if you have one of those sprint at home routers it has a hard time switching between that and a real tower. There arent that many apps out for it, but its open source so anyone can make apps for it for free. I think I prefer a droid 2.1 os over the palm though...but i do dig the phone. The keyboard is tiny, you have to use fingernails to poke the keys not your finger pads. if you dont want it for stupid games like the 800000000 million the iphone has you'd probably be fine. I like having a ton of games for the iphone so I can play while I'm bored everywhere. For me the fingernail thing would be a PLUS... I'm one of those girls with nails so it impairs me from using a touchscreen keyboard properly, a keyboard that needs fingernails to use makes it better! I understand this isn't a typical problem for most users... lol!
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
BlueCrush

Re: Palm Pre Plus Smartphone - Anybody have one? (ponta2147)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »I want one but they aren't on AT&T Yet!!!!!!My dad got the regular Palm Pre when it first came out on Sprint. He hated the Sprint network here in Chicago so he got rid of it, but I got to use it a bit. I can tell you that, of the touch phones I have tried, it's got a very responsive touch interface. That's actually really impressive because very few touch screen phones impress me all that much. And it felt really cool in my hands, like it belonged there. But I know they made some tweaks to the Plus, which I haven't tried... It is coming to AT&T in a couple months, but without the Wi-Fi hotspot capability. the biggest difference between the Pre and the Pre Plus is the Memory upgrade and the Touchstone compatible back cover.Quote, originally posted by northvibe »my roommate has one and he loves it, but it does have some quirks. its pretty fast, theres a hack as well to over clock the cpu. But if you have one of those sprint at home routers it has a hard time switching between that and a real tower. There arent that many apps out for it, but its open source so anyone can make apps for it for free. I think I prefer a droid 2.1 os over the palm though...but i do dig the phone. The keyboard is tiny, you have to use fingernails to poke the keys not your finger pads. if you dont want it for stupid games like the 800000000 million the iphone has you'd probably be fine. I like having a ton of games for the iphone so I can play while I'm bored everywhere. Yeah, I saw the Pre Plus' processor is rated ad 600mhz but it comes underclocked from the factory to 500mhz. I also saw the video of the 800mhz overclocked Pre Plus. That thing is super fast.I don't have a Sprint router so not a problem there.Palm is getting more and more apps everyday, so I can wait for them. I'm not app happy yet, but I might be once I start using a smartphone. The WebOS 1.4 is comparable to Android 2.1 from what I have read. A lot of reviews state WebOS platform is better than the Android platform. But I am sure that will change in the near future.I've tried out the Pre Plus and the keypad is not much of an issue for me. I'm not a big gamer, so the games available for the Palm will probably be more than enough for me.Thanks for the input!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

if id consider a palm, it needs to have the keyboard on screen, im not a big fan of buttons anymore after having a iphone.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »if id consider a palm, it needs to have the keyboard on screen, im not a big fan of buttons anymore after having a iphone. There are virtual keyboard apps available.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
oriden

Post by oriden »

im not a fan of the new one. in Canada they are only avaible through Bell.I still miss my Palm Treo <3
Tubaryan12

Re: (oriden)

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Quote, originally posted by oriden »im not a fan of the new one. in Canada they are only avaible through Bell.I still miss my Palm Treo I had a Treo 750. Then I sold it because I wanted a regular phone that was smaller and I could use the cash. After about 3 weeks I missed the thing so I bought another one.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
northvibe

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »There are virtual keyboard apps available.yah but the screen isnt that big and its thick...id rather have a palm optimized for a virtual keyboard.
oriden

Re: (Tubaryan12)

Post by oriden »

i gave it up for a blackberry storm... the treo i think would be better for the line of work im in now full time (heavy equipment operator) BB and Iphones dont seem to hold up to the abuse that they used to
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »yah but the screen isnt that big and its thick...id rather have a palm optimized for a virtual keyboard.Yeah, it's only 3.1" vs. 3.7" for Nexus One and it is a little thicker than the android phones, but it is smaller width and length than most others. It is almost the same size as my current Motorola MOTO W755. I really like the size of the Pre Plus. I would like to try to make myself wait until the HTC Incredible comes out on 4/1. Hopefully it will be fomally announced at the CTIA show in Vegas today, tomorrow or Thursday. But if Verizon has the Pre on the Deal of the Day, again, then I'll probably just pull the trigger and get the Pre. If not, I would need to get the Pre before the end of the March since Verizon is ending all promotions for the Pre, then.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »But if Verizon has the Pre on the Deal of the Day, again, then I'll probably just pull the trigger and get the Pre.Well, I spoke about it and it happened, so I ordered the Palm Pre Plus. Their Deal of the Day promotion lowered it to $79.99 (from $149.99). I can't wait to get it. I'll probably end up over clocking it sometime later this spring. I'll have to get a couple Touchstone charging stations for at home and work and a car mount kit. I'll write up a review once I have it up and running. Here are some pics of what it looks like for those of you who haven't seen it:Now if the Mega Millions headquarters would just draw the numbers on my ticket for tonight's lottery drawing, I'd be a happy camper!!!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

People that have, do love them. A lot of the hospital's glucose meters run Palm OS Software, if concerned about the company going under.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
BlueCrush

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »People that have, do love them. A lot of the hospital's glucose meters run Palm OS Software, if concerned about the company going under. I have read the same. Cool info regarding the glucose meters. I'm not concerned about the company going under at all. That would be like Pontiac going und.... That would be like Saturn going... That would be like Hummer go... nevermind...lol. But really I'm not concerned about it.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »I have read the same. Cool info regarding the glucose meters. I'm not concerned about the company going under at all. That would be like Pontiac going und.... That would be like Saturn going... That would be like Hummer go... nevermind...lol. But really I'm not concerned about it.(removed)
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

hey brya couple buddies have the pre. they love it. not thrilled with the battery life, but other than that, seems to be a nice phone.i'm holding out for an android os phone.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
BlueCrush

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »hey brya couple buddies have the pre. they love it. not thrilled with the battery life, but other than that, seems to be a nice phone.i'm holding out for an android os phone.Thanks! I heard the battery life on almost all smartphones sucks. The latest WebOS update should improve battery life. There are extended batteries available up to 2600 mAh. There is also an "App Killer" app to turn off background apps you don't use or don't need to also improve battery life. Some have had theirs last 2-3 days between charges. I plan on having a charger at home, in my car and at work, so I won't have to worry about it.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

sweet... yeah when you think about it, these aren't just cellular phones anymore. little computers eat up alot of power. the more we do on our phones, the more we'll have to charge them.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

HTC Legend baby!! once it hits im switching to sprint to get it
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Well, I have had my Palm Pre Plus almost a week and......I freakin' love it!!!!! I have only been just getting used to it, downloading tons of apps. I love apps. Everyone that has seen it loves it as well. We all love how user friendly and intuitive it is. I'm going to get my e-mails set up this week on my Pre. Did I mention I love it...?
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

It was officially announced last week that it's coming to AT&T... my life got significantly better.
BlueCrush

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by BlueCrush »

HUGE, HUGE news on Verizon Wireless!!!!!!! Verizon slashed Palm Pre Plus pricing down to $49.99 (buy one get one free is also still in effect) and while supplies last, Palm users can get FREE mobile Hotspot for as long as you have that phone on your plan. That's a $40 per month savings. so I just signed up for my FREE Mobile Hotspot and called in and got a $30 credit on my bill for the price drop being within 30 days of my purchase. I freakin' LOVE Verizon!!!!!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »HUGE, HUGE news on Verizon Wireless!!!!!!! Verizon slashed Palm Pre Plus pricing down to $49.99 (buy one get one free is also still in effect) and while supplies last, Palm users can get FREE mobile Hotspot for as long as you have that phone on your plan. That's a $40 per month savings. so I just signed up for my FREE Mobile Hotspot and called in and got a $30 credit on my bill for the price drop being within 30 days of my purchase. I freakin' LOVE Verizon!!!!! Wowwwwww.