Thanks all...we're safe

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
808 Vibes

Thanks all...we're safe

Post by 808 Vibes »

Heard the civil defense siren early this morning, but shrugged it off as a false alarm. It has gone off every few hours ever since. I went out for spare non-perishables and dog food-petco and target were strangely...empty. It *may* affect my island in about an hour, but my hilltop community is near 1,000 ft. above sea level, so am not worried. People from low-lying areas have come up to camp out on our main street to wait it out.Will check back..have aircard in case we lose electric/phone.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
keithvibe

Re: Thanks all...we're safe (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by keithvibe »

stay safe hon
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
wt2ga

Post by wt2ga »

Herb

Post by Herb »

Keep us posted and stay safe!
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
lovemyraffe

Re: Thanks all...we're safe (Herb)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Wishing you well. Keep us informed.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Caretaker

Re: Thanks all...we're safe (lovemyraffe)

Post by Caretaker »

I noticed the waves were coming ashore at Hilo, where we got the helicopter to fly into the volcano. Its just a matter of time before the Gov of Chile asks for assistance. Their roads are a mess, and given the traffic there, will be causing economic chaos for years to come.
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Stay safe. My grandmother lives there too, in Kihei, hoping you both see nothing but some impressive surf this afternoon.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
06pvibe

Re: Thanks all...we're safe (bodhi_tree777)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »Stay safe. My grandmother lives there too, in Kihei, hoping you both see nothing but some impressive surf this afternoon. I'll second that!!! All but the grandmother part. Stay away from the water.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

Please stay safe
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »It *may* affect my island in about an hour, but my hilltop community is near 1,000 ft. above sea level, so am not worried. Stay safe..... I was reading an article earlier and in Chile, they closed all the roads less that 1,600 ft above sea level just in case and warned everyone to head for higher ground I believe.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
808 Vibes

Re: Thanks all...we're safe (ou.grizzly)

Post by 808 Vibes »

There were reports of water receding and coming back into harbors, but looks like we escaped another one.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »There were reports of water receding and coming back into harbors, but looks like we escaped another one. We are all glad you are safe! On a side note, this brings up a great discussion. People think it must be heaven to live in such a beautiful place, but I will say this, there is always a price/risk. Not sure if I could do itExample:Cali - earthquake/wildfires/mudslides
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
morbay

Post by morbay »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »There were reports of water receding and coming back into harbors, but looks like we escaped another one. Good to hear, thought about you when I heard about this. Glad you are OK.Rob
Rob Pettigrew2009 Ultra White 2.4 AWDPearl White Arrowhead overlaysPainted Calipers October 2010 MOTM
lovemyraffe

Re: Thanks all...we're safe (morbay)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Glad you are ok.Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »On a side note, this brings up a great discussion. People think it must be heaven to live in such a beautiful place, but I will say this, there is always a price/risk. Not sure if I could do itExample:Cali - earthquake/wildfires/mudslidesI too feel the same way. One thing many people do not know, Salt Lake City is located on the Wasatch Fault. It is only a matter of time before SLC gets hit hard. Many people who were born and raised there don't know about the fault they live on.
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

Glad to hear everything is OK over there.
ou.grizzly

Re: Thanks all...we're safe (lovemyraffe)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »Glad you are ok.I too feel the same way. One thing many people do not know, Salt Lake City is located on the Wasatch Fault. It is only a matter of time before SLC gets hit hard. Many people who were born and raised there don't know about the fault they live on.Isn't that the next big one that may wipe out half the US?
Houston

Post by Houston »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe » Glad you are ok.I too feel the same way. One thing many people do not know, Salt Lake City is located on the Wasatch Fault. It is only a matter of time before SLC gets hit hard. Many people who were born and raised there don't know about the fault they live on.Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Isn't that the next big one that may wipe out half the US?What do you do now, Griz, flip a coin?Seriously, life can be dangerous no matter where you are. Enjoy the good parts!
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
ou.grizzly

Re: Thanks all...we're safe (Houston)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Houston »What do you do now, Griz, flip a coin?Seriously, life can be dangerous no matter where you are. Enjoy the good parts! This is true my friend! I need to head to Home Depot, purchase some bubble wrap in bulk, and wrap myself in it...
Houston

Post by Houston »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »This is true my friend! I need to head to Home Depot, purchase some bubble wrap in bulk, and wrap myself in it... Somebody will probably smash into you on the way there, so maybe it's best to stay home and never leave the place ever again. But then there's always those falling airplanes and meteorites, so maybe that's not a good idea. Hey, man, I don't know what to tell ya.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
ou.grizzly

Re: Thanks all...we're safe (Houston)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Houston »Somebody will probably smash into you on the way there, so maybe it's best to stay home and never leave the place ever again. But then there's always those falling airplanes and meteorites, so maybe that's not a good idea. Hey, man, I don't know what to tell ya.Haha!Sad thing is some people do think like that... I will travel the world one day, as for living in a certain hot spot, eh; I would have to think about that one. Something is going on as there was a earthquake off the coast of Japan I believe the other day and there was a Tsunami Warning...
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Also glad your ok
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

No; the most devistating US quake of our past will be the worst of our future: the New Madrid fault running underneath Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Shallow faults (like we saw in Haiti) where the epicenter is not too far underground, causes massive damage no matter what the Richter scale registers. However, couple shallow fault with no parent rock material under the surface to absorbe the S waves, and you have rolling beach sand that allows the "magic carpet ride" to travel for hundreds of miles. When the New Madrid fault goes again, St. Louis and Memphis will likely be destroyed, and cities as far as Chicago will have devistating damage. Again, got beach sand underneath you, coupled with fault lines?????..........head for the hills!!
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Glad your ok and safe Deb!
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Isn't that the next big one that may wipe out half the US?Some people think that it will be "THE BIG ONE."
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

glad you're safe.keep us posted
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Glad all is well with you HPL!!Hawaii has been in my thoughts and Prayers as well as those in Chile.news is saying the tsunami was not near as big as was expected. A good thing but worries me the next time. Dont want a crying wolf situation to arise.