Anyone a avid paintball player?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
d_m_kolb

Anyone a avid paintball player?

Post by d_m_kolb »

I'm curious to know if any of the members here are into paintball? I have recently gotten involved in it and all I can say is IT"S ADDICTIVE! I'll be buying my first paintball gun in about a month.I was just curious to know if anyone else plays?
meathead333

Re: Anyone a avid paintball player? (Admin II)

Post by meathead333 »

yes, i play from time to time. its is fun.
My myspace.com profile My 73' Bronco Cardomain page
Pablo1669

Post by Pablo1669 »

I'm huge into paintball... been playin for about 9 years now. Let me tell ya, it's a lot cheaper to play now, then it was back then. It used to cost 100 bucks for a case of paintball, now, that same paint costs like 45 bucks a case.What kind of gun are you looking to get? Most of the market these days is electronic, but I'm stickin with my AutoCocker. When I first started playing, I owned a spyder which was pretty good for a beginner gun, but now that I'm more involved, I use a tricked out cocker. If you've got some questions, let me know.
-Brian
Flip-Side

Re: Anyone a avid paintball player? (silverawd26)

Post by Flip-Side »

I love paintball. I have used a lot of the guns out there. Cockers are very accurate and efficient, but expensive. Spyders are much cheaper for the occasional player, and you can upgrade the crap out of them. There are even good electronic spyders out now for under $200, where as a bottom of the line cocker is a few hundred more.Now do you want to use Nitrogen, or Co2?Guns to check into: Tippman A-5 Cheap, never breaks, shoots fast. Can run Co2Rougher action. Spyder Electra Cheap, good parts selection, electronic and fast.Can run Co2 Cocker Expensive, high maintanance, smooth and accurate. Nitrogen only. Impulse Near same prices as cocker, but all of em are electricTons of parts and upgrades. Shoots fast andsmooth(not as smooth as cocker). Check out www.paintballgear.com. They have good pricing and gun information.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
d_m_kolb

Re: Anyone a avid paintball player? (silverawd26)

Post by d_m_kolb »

Good to see there are fellow paintballers here among us. LOLI'm going to be purchasing a Tippmann 98 Custom in about a month. I have found a incredible website with some unbelievable prices at http://www.shop4paintball.com The Tippmann runs $119.99 there. I have been playing with one for about a month and can keep up with just about any of the much higher priced markers with it. Plus it just wont break!!!I'm probably going to purchase the Flatline barrel system at the same time. A friend that got me involved in paintball uses one and the range and accuracy is better than anything else I have seen.I'm going to purchase a Tippmann expansion chamber kit and auto feed hopper as well.Since I love playing in the woods (Military background) my mask all ways fogs up. I'm going to be buying one of the fans you can install in the mask to get rid of this problem.I'll probably stick with that set up for awhile. Plus I'll be broke for a while as well. LOLWhat kind of paint is everyone using? I have been having great success with RPS/PMI Superswirls that Walmart sells. I probably only break 1 paintball out of 500 shots. You can't beat the price either for $24.00 for 1000.Thanks for the replies. Any tips and or tricks are very welcome. I'm all ears!!!!
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

quote:I'm probably going to purchase the Flatline barrel system at the same time. A friend that got me involved in paintball uses one and the range and accuracy is better than anything else I have seen.I used a 98 as my second gun. It was one of my favorites. Tough, reliable, accurate, and cheap to buy and maintain. I got the "Flatline" when it first came out and it is truely an advantage on large fields. Problem is, it is not accurate at all with even the slightest breeze. The spin it puts on the ball makes its trajectory unstable. To switch to a short game of Speedball, I went with the Lapco Bigshot barrel. I tried tons in the 98 and the 12" Bigshot was tops. Its also cheap at only about $50. Light em up.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Pablo1669

Re: Anyone a avid paintball player? (Flip-Side)

Post by Pablo1669 »

Many repies in one post, so here goes (some of this might get really technical):Auto cockers can be very costly, but most will still run on CO2, as mine does. They have unbelievable accuracy and range, with still a great amount of speed when upgraded like mine. I use a '00 FX 'cocker with rock regulater, and expansion chamber. I've got a shockteck bolt in that baby as well. I use a 14 inch DYE boomstick and I've got a spare 12 inch rifled Armson barrel that came with the gun (good in the winter, don't know why). I use a 9volt revolution loader because when I'm layin down paint, you need a little help loadin the balls. Oh yeah, and my gun is powedercoated metallic blue. It's really sweet, and I'm in love with it. All my friends who are starting to go electric are having so many problems with their guns, and my "unreliable" 'cocker hasn't broke down once on me. I guess if you know how to use it without "short-stroking" the trigger, it's all good. I'm looking into getting compressed Air instead of CO2 or Nitrogen since it'd be really easy to fill at my local Diver's shop, but the tanks are just so expensive, and I'm spending too much on my Vibe. The Flat line barrel, it's great for accuracy, but the lack of speed will kill you. I personally prefer DYE barrels, I use a 14inch DYE "boomstick". it's a 2 piece aluminum/stainless steel. I love it, DYE's are known for being very quite, and with my 'cocker being as quite as it is, they call me the ghost.As far as paint goes, RPS makes a great paint. I used to use Diablo Blaze (changed to Draxus) but I found every-so-often the ball would roll out of my barrel, so I had to get a different paint. you lose the element of surprise when your first shot is blank. Anyhow, the RPS I use is the Fireball. It's prolly the same stuff they sell at Walmart but with a different (prettier) name for the big name stores like Walmart or Bass Pro-shops. Tippman 98's are great reliable guns, pretty much undestructable... but I'm not a big fan of them. I don't find them to be very upgradable, and most beginnners get them, and replace them after a year or so of playing a lot. If you're looking for a great reliable gun to use every so often, then Tippman is a good choice. don't buy a mask fan... they aren't as reliable as a "thermal" mask. I would highly recommend just getting something like a JT Spectra thermal... they are sweet. They have 220 degree lenses (visual range) and are easy to replace the lenses in them. If you get the thermal, I promise you will never have any fog problems. I use the JT Flex 7, which is a more expensive Spectra because of a rubber chin piece (hence the name Flex7) instead of a hard plastic piece... if you don't mind the extra 10 bucks, i think it's worth it because it'll bend when you have your gun up near your mask for better aim. I played last saturday (as noted in "my first road trip" post) and all I have to prove of it is 3 tiny scratches on my neck from some underbrush.I think that sums it up. Sorry if i was long winded, but I LOVE paintball.
-Brian
Pablo1669

Re: Anyone a avid paintball player?

Post by Pablo1669 »

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention...Silver, Love the new Avatar.
-Brian
meathead333

Post by meathead333 »

i just bought the tippmann A-5 w/ response trigger. i also added a drop forward and a 13 in progressive barrel. anyone know what othe rmods i could get to improve the performance?? i wanna try and make it not so loud. . any ideas? anyone know expansion chambers are a universal fit for tippmanns? are they easy to install?? i am kinda new to upgrading the gun.all the help would be very welcomed, thanks
meathead333

Re: Anyone a avid paintball player? (meathead333)

Post by meathead333 »

anyone??????
lordyogi

Post by lordyogi »

I used to play all the time. Michigan has quite a few nice fields, specially Hell's Survivors. Mainly though me and my friends would go to gravel pits and pine forests and play. My gun that i have is a Spyder TL with a 14" carbon fiber 32 degrees barrel. I used to play with marbalizer paint, or anything that RP Shearer made, man i miss those days of runnin around for hours shootin people.yogi
MagnaFlow ExhaustAEM CAI Windows Tinted 35% up front 20% rest17" Quantum Tek S-16 wheels w/ Dayton Daytona ZR performance rubber.Wish list:Eibach Lowering SpringsHotchkiss Sway BarsStrut Tower BarJL Audio Vibe GT Systembest time: 15.564@90.64dyno run : 162.1 wheel hptranslates to approx: 192 flywheel hp
Pablo1669

Post by Pablo1669 »

If you want a quiet gun, you should not have bought the Tippman. From my experience, those are some of the loudest guns out there. One really good way to quite down a gun is with a new barrel. DYE barrels are the best for quietting down a paint gun, but I see you already bought a new barrel. Also, a new bolt might help ya out a lil bit.
-Brian
meathead333

Re: Anyone a avid paintball player? (Pablo1669)

Post by meathead333 »

thanks for the info. i added a drop forward and a x-chamber, maybe ill look into a new bolt now.
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

quote:If you want a quiet gun, you should not have bought the Tippman. When it comes to a tippman, don't worry about quieting it down. It just wont happen...at least not to a great degree. When you hear the A-5 guys on the field with response kicking in, the fear effect it has is an advantage in itself. They have the unique tippman sound, repeated much faster. Here are some basic upgrades for A-5. Many cheap, and very usefull. Like rear velocity adjust, and 2-finger trigger. http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/pa ... parts.html
Pablo1669

Post by Pablo1669 »

quote:When it comes to a tippman, don't worry about quieting it down. It just wont happen...at least not to a great degree. When you hear the A-5 guys on the field with response kicking in, the fear effect it has is an advantage in itself. I don't know about the Fear Factor. Loud guns don't scare me. I kinda like the nickname my friends gave me... "ghost". there is something to be said about not knowing where the shot came from because you can't hear the gun. Pretty much all you hear from me is my back block hitting against the body chamber, and that is a really quiet "ka-chink"
-Brian
meathead333

Post by meathead333 »

yeah, thats what i wanted. maybe i should not have gotten the a5. oh well its mine now. i added alot of stuff to it, so hopefully i can be stealth like to a certain degree. kinda like the "shock and awe" campaign.
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

Here's a update to my original post.I have had my marker for a few months now and love it! Lots of mods done. Tippmann 98 CustomTippmann Flatline barrelTippmann Expansion ChamberModel 98 Sniper F/X Stock (ProTeamDirect.com)Barrel Extension (PaintballSniperSupplies.com)Empire Reloader HopperPalmer In-Line Stabilizer32 Degrees Coiled Remote System (using 20oz CO2)ADCO Sure Shot Dot (Sight)JT Spectra Proshield Thermal Black (with JT Vortex Fan)4+1 Pack with (4) 100 round supertubesDYE Core Knee Pads Full military camo
meathead333

Post by meathead333 »

how do you like the flatline? i hear the 98 ones dont work so well. i was thinkin of gettin one for my A-5, supposedly the A-5 flatlines get better reveiws. not sure though. you play woods ball or speed ball?
d_m_kolb

Post by d_m_kolb »

I love the flateline. I will never purchase another barrel for this gun. I had problems with it at first, but it was because it wasn't installed just right. If the barrel isn't pushed in all the way, or isn't straight, your paint is everywhere but where you want it.I'm very happy with it.I wrote a review and instilation help post at the below address.http://www.m98modstop.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=112My user name is flatline98
tribalman

Re: Anyone a avid paintball player? (d_m_kolb)

Post by tribalman »

alright, just bringing this thread back. anybody still play? if it wasn't for 2 jobs and school i would still be going at least every month like i used to. what markers do you all have? i have a:spyder compact classic with warpfeed(started as a mech, but now it takes 5 9volts to run the thing. lol)tac oneemagfreestyletrilogy sport32 degrees pistol2k2 bob long intimidator.
None. Vibe is gone.