Garage Door Monitor

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
jake75

Garage Door Monitor

Post by jake75 »

Several times I have forgotten to close our garage door at night. I was at Sears and saw a garage door monitor - it was about $30-35 as I remember. I thought I might do better on eBay. I patiently waited until the eBay community was napping and got a Chamberlain brand, Model CLDM-1, for less than $14 including sales tax (Ohio seller) & shipping. I was the first and only bidder for that one. Most of them end up going for about $20 with shipping. If you have two doors you can just buy an extra transmitter and the indoor unit will blink red if either one is open.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
keithvibe

Re: Garage Door Monitor (jake75)

Post by keithvibe »

so what exactly does this dohicky do? close the door if you forget?I don't know if I would want it to close automatic. Good forbid there is something under the door and it gets smooshed LOL
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
scherry2

Re: Garage Door Monitor (keithvibe)

Post by scherry2 »

The Chamberlain® Garage Door Monitor tells you if your garage door is open or closed from any room in your home.http://www.chamberlain-diy.com...=1513not that its going to help .5 mile down the road if you forgot.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

there are other sensors required to be part of garage doors to prevent squishing of things as it goes down.one is a path beam interupt that will cause the door to go back up and the other is a pressure seansor if it run it an object it wont crush it but reverse direction going back up.
djkeev

Re: Garage Door Monitor (jake75)

Post by djkeev »

Well, Confession time........I read this post months ago and sorry to say thought...."Who is stupid enough to not remember if the door is closed or not?!?!?"Well, at 7:30 this morning I closed my garage door as I left the house to walk the dog!Fortunately I live in a neighborhood where it really doesn't matter if I do or don't but still.......Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
jake75

Re: Garage Door Monitor (scherry2)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »The Chamberlain® Garage Door Monitor tells you if your garage door is open or closed from any room in your home.http://www.chamberlain-diy.com...=1513not that its going to help .5 mile down the road if you forgot. That is the one I got cheap on eBay. The indoor part (with the lights) has to be plugged in like a cordless phone. I wish they made it battery powered. (The part that goes on the garage door does use a battery).It does not close the door - just lets you know if it is open or closed. When the door is up the part that you attach to the door is in a horizontal position. When the door is closed it is in a vertical position. That is "how it knows".
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
DeClerq

Post by DeClerq »

We had one of those that the previous owners left with the house. Used it for awhile but there really wasn't anywhere good to put the indoor monitor where we could see it. Then my wife decided it was just a waste of electricity (not that it uses that much...). So now it's sitting in a drawer. Now I just open the kitchen door and take a look if I wan't to make sure the door is closed. Works just as well I guess.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring'04 Vibe - M&T, Power Package, Protection Package
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

install a peephole into the door to the garage!is a cheap non-electricity way of checking on the garage door
jake75

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by jake75 »

If I could remember to look though a peephole I could remember just to open the side door to see if the garage door was closed. Wait until your nearer 70 than 60 and you will appreciate a more obvious reminder - like the red light on that monitor.