Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
keithvibe

Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint?

Post by keithvibe »

Ok, first who the heck does door to door sales anymore?So the other night I had this college age girl ring my door bell at 7pm at night and proceded to tell me about kirby vacumms. After telling her a few times I wasn't intrested she didn't seem to get the hint. She kept insisting to come inside my home at that late of an hour to give me a demo on her carpet shampooer. This girl had no ID, didnt' know where the local store was located. And didn't have said vacumm with her. She wanted to look at the carpet and make an appointment to come back later.I said well I don't know you lady and uninvited guests in my home get shot or malled by my dogs or both. So if you really wanted to try and enter in to my home to give me a demo on your shampooer, proceed with caution.She finally got the hint and left.But I got to wondering was she just trying to case the joint to see if her friends would come back at a later date to loot my house? After talking with my wife for a few mins she seemed to think so because after talking to a few of her friends the crime rate went up in their neighborhood after the "kirby" sale people came threw.I personally never ever let anyone in my home unless they are invited. I don't care if you are the dictator of our country, er I mean president or Pope John. You will get a serious hurting if you enter in to my home uninvited.This isn't the 1950's you know where door to door sale people were common.WTH
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
scherry2

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (keithvibe)

Post by scherry2 »

I agree with you. but don't be suprised if you see even more door to door sales people as the hunt for "real" jobs get harder and harder to find and school is too expensive to return to with no job....I'm just sayin. we have a scwhann's delivery truck driving down our small town roads at 8 at night. you want to stop it? post a no soliciting sign outside your door. advise your town council to inact an ordinance to prohibit door to door sales. our burg has one that prohibits magazine sales door to door. I remember this company selling brushes door to doorhttp://www.fullerproducts.com/
keithvibe

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (scherry2)

Post by keithvibe »

They are required to have a license to sell door to door in my township. But when questioned they usually say my boss has it and he is down the street. I then say well then I guess your the one that will get fined and arrested not your boss.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

my wife got arrested for selling magazines when she was young and stupid. cost her $$$. the company just up and left her.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

The Caretaker handles these cases like so:"I'm so glad you are here. Before I hear your demonstration, I want to try this new brand of rope I manufacture. I'll tie you to the post and see if you think it is comfortable." Once tied up, the police are called and she can sell the Officer a Kirby Vacuum.Sorry that happened to you Keith. She simply was a flim flam artist casing homes and should have been arrested on the spot. She by no means was a helpless individual selling vacuums.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

It is amazing how the crime rate increased since the economy has taken such a dive...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
808 Vibes

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Soliciting is "not allowed" in my area, but they unfortunately they still do come around. I get: carpet shampooers ("oh please...if I do just one more demo today I can get a trip to the mainland!") and certain religious affiliations. My dogs go ballistic when any stranger stands in front of my screen door, whether they ring the bell or not, and I don't open it. The carpet shampooers I can usually shoo off with "I already bought a carpet shampoo machine". But........Two men from such religious affiliations once asked me if they could come in my home. "No" I said. Them: "Why not?" There had been a rash of crimes in the area and the suspects were two "well dressed men". I wasn't taking any chances. "Well, can we leave you with a brochure?" "You can, but I'll just throw it away." I have heard of cases where someone had carpet estimate and while one guy did the measuring, another guy would take a look around the house, looking at stuff, and other cases where people had their homes termite-tented and came back the next day to find the place had been burglarized while it was being gassed!!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
jake75

Re: (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by jake75 »

My fear (I guess I am paranoid) is that the young girl comes into my house, and then claims I molested her or something. Sorry - I don't need that problem.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

The movie "Super Sucker" starring Jeff Daniels comes to mind when I read this thread. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293624/ http://www.videodetective.com/...18615
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

When I was little I remember a man busting in the door after my mom opened it.. He plugged in the Kirby and started to vacuum the floors!.. then he goes and pull she sheets off my parents bed and vacuums the mattress too; Weird! I remember being freaked out.. but turns out my dad knew him.. kinda.. if he sold one more he got a trip to Hawaii..
Whelan

Re: (09vGT)

Post by Whelan »

In my town you are not allowed to do D2D sales. Aside from non-profits having exceptions (girl scout cookies and boy scout trail's end popcorn, yumm). Even the Jehova looney's stopped coming around.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
scherry2

Re: (Whelan)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Even the Jehova looney's stopped coming around.I wish they would come to my door I would put on a goats head skull, whip, and underwear dip my hands in blood red paint and answer the door with "come on in we're just gettin ready to party!! lol
Whelan

Re: (scherry2)

Post by Whelan »

Not bad, I would go for the dress up like Santa Claus and have a Birthday Cake in my hands with candles lit and ready
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Houston

Post by Houston »

The Kirby people have been coming here just about each of the last twenty-four years giving demonstrations and trying to sell me their machine. They have always called first to make an appointment. Thanks to them repeatedly doing all my carpeted floors, I've never paid for somebody to clean them. Their machines do a good job, but I don't tell them that Consumer Reports gives them low ratings.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
Whelan

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (Houston)

Post by Whelan »

1) Call the company to ensure people are in your neighborhood2) Notify authorities of the activity and they will keep an eye and do additional patrols in your neighborhood.3) Get a security system, you should have one anyways as it lowers your home owners rates and is worthwhile.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
bodhi_tree777

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (Whelan)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

I'm way too paranoid to let anyone into my house who I didn't specifically ask to be there. I live in a sketchy neighborhood and already have too many cracked out "salesmen" offering me a "nearly new" microwave or just flat out panhandling. I can't imagine wanting to work in door to door sales. When I was 19 I answered an ad in the paper for "sales" and ended up walking into a group meeting where all of the applicants were being told about the wonders of door to door knife sales. Seemed like a pyramid scheme, and I cannot imagine trying to get people to let you in to their homes so that you can show them a bunch of very sharp knives
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
keithvibe

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (bodhi_tree777)

Post by keithvibe »

You too hu bodhi Cutco knives. But they said it wasn't door to door... BS they wanted you to hold a knife party at your home, invite 10 people, those 10 people are soposed to give you 10 more names each, so and so on. But you needed to buy your own display knives. LOL to the tune of something like 400bucks lol
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

In MN many city's require all door-to-door salespeople to have a peddler's permit from every city they sell in. If they do not you can call the cops and have them removed from you property, ticketed, and lose the chance to buy a peddler's permit from that city in the future. I frickin' hate these people...especially the kids trying to sell magazines so they can win a stupid trip. Get a real job and earn some damn money to pay your own way for a vacation.So, ask to see their peddler's permit(even if you city doesn't require one, they won't know that) and laugh as they run away...hahahhaa!Also, I have a NO SOLICITING sign on my door...it does nothing...they still come a knockin'.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
keithvibe

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (BlueCrush)

Post by keithvibe »

they are required to have one but most instances when I have asked to see it they say their boss has it... ^^^ see my post above
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I wish a college girl would come to my house. Bwa ha ha ha ha!Okay, so maybe I watch too many horror movies.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
keithvibe

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (K-NINE)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »I wish a college girl would come to my house. Bwa ha ha ha ha!Okay, so maybe I watch too many horror movies. you would have liked this one K-nine, she was a HOTTIE!!!
joatmon

Re: (scherry2)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »I wish they would come to my door I would put on a goats head skull, whip, and underwear dip my hands in blood red paint and answer the door with "come on in we're just gettin ready to party!! lol That's a good use for those things, especially since you have them laying around.I have a large dog, who reacts to knocks on the door, and when they see him through the screen, they never try to push in. But the only door to door sales people I get are christian cultists trying to tell me my religion is gonna send me to he11 if I don't convert to theirs. I don't feel bad about using the dog to keep them out of the house.
Caretaker

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (scherry2)

Post by Caretaker »

--------I wish they would come to my door I would put on a goats head skull, whip, and underwear dip my hands in blood red paint and answer the door with "come on in we're just gettin ready to party!!------------I've got you one better Sheldon: When they come, I spin my head around in circles and do some projectile vommiting. I just love to see them running down my driveway....................oh these are the days worth living!!
GoodVibErations2004

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

i usually answer the door with my 12 gauge in hand(when i see them walking up the driveway). ive only had one person actually still try to pitch their shtuff. it was that knife scam thing...... when he wouldnt take no for an answer he got my dog..... havent had a single peddler since
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
jasony0423

Post by jasony0423 »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »You too hu bodhi Cutco knives. But they said it wasn't door to door... BS they wanted you to hold a knife party at your home, invite 10 people, those 10 people are soposed to give you 10 more names each, so and so on. But you needed to buy your own display knives. LOL to the tune of something like 400bucks lolQuote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »I'm way too paranoid to let anyone into my house who I didn't specifically ask to be there. I live in a sketchy neighborhood and already have too many cracked out "salesmen" offering me a "nearly new" microwave or just flat out panhandling. I can't imagine wanting to work in door to door sales. When I was 19 I answered an ad in the paper for "sales" and ended up walking into a group meeting where all of the applicants were being told about the wonders of door to door knife sales. Seemed like a pyramid scheme, and I cannot imagine trying to get people to let you in to their homes so that you can show them a bunch of very sharp knives I wandered my way into a Cutco knives sales "opportunity" when I was younger, too. Part of the demo was cutting a penny in half with some scissors that come with the kit. Seemed like a scam to me, even at that young age.
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Got a kirby out in the shead,the transmission went bad ! now we just buy the cheap'os & chuck em out when thay bite the dust.had a Rainbow also but it was a PITA getten rid of the water the other half wants hard wood floors now,I want a Z06
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
keithvibe

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (TONY TAT2)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by TONY TAT2 »Got a kirby out in the shead,the transmission went bad ! now we just buy the cheap'os & chuck em out when thay bite the dust.had a Rainbow also but it was a PITA getten rid of the water the other half wants hard wood floors now,I want a Z06 HAHA tell her she can have hard wood floors but only in the garage where the z06 would sit LOLMy parents had a kirby, dame thing lasted something like 20years.They only got rid of it because they couldn't get parts for it anymore. My grandmother had an electrolux as well that she got when she married. I finally dumped that vacuum, it was only 50years old and it still ran great... but weighed a ton!
djkeev

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (BlueCrush)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »....................Also, I have a NO SOLICITING sign on my door...it does nothing...they still come a knockin'.Sadly this is probably showing the quality education that our young people are getting today. These individuals probably do not know what soliciting means and thus haven't a clue why you do not want them doing it.You should probably put something like this, it involves small groupings of letters in an easy to understand fashion.DUDE, I DON'T WANT YOU TRYING TO SELL ME CRAP!! GO AWAY!!
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
808 Vibes

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (djkeev)

Post by 808 Vibes »

I just had one come to the door dressed like she was going a-skankin'...hoochie heels, clubbing outfit and sparkly dangling earrings...yeah, that's a carpet cleanin' professional all right!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
keithvibe

Re: Kirby vacumm sales or casing the joint? (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by keithvibe »

HAHAshe was hoping for a guy to answer the door so she could show him her "goods" when she bent over to check out his "carpet"
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Somebody called the cops on them because next thing I knew I heard a police cruiser driving around looking for them, then saw a large white van with "NEED A JOB?" on the side windows being chased off property.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~