My Golf Game

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Tubaryan12

My Golf Game

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Since May, my golf game has been in a complete and utter nose dive. Lately, I started removing clubs from my bag. I am going to do this until I either lose zero balls in a round, or shoot sub 50 for nine (by the way, I'm down to 8 of a max. of 14). I was having a pretty good day until this happened:Today while playing, a dog come out from one of the back yards that line the course. I was pitching back into the fairway from under a tree (my usual spot) when the dog ran out onto the fairway, picked up my ball, looked at me with my ball in it's mouth, and ran back into it's backyard. Maybe the gods are trying to tell me to give this game up.Should I?Someone, anyone, please tell me something funnier than this has happened to you on the golf course.Misery, does indeed, love company.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
Whelan

Re: My Golf Game (Tubaryan12)

Post by Whelan »

Typically when I start each season out of practice I am hitting low tomid 40's on 9. Start at 42-46 on a par 3. Then I work down to par or just above. Par being like a 32. I usually run with a 3W, 5W, 5-9 irons, Sand, Pitch, Putter. I can't hit a 1 Wood straight to save my life, and occasionally I throw my Callaway 9 degree driver in there for fun. Next year will be a new set of clubs, and a set for my gf who has never played but said she would like to learn and try it out. As far as funny, nothing other than your golf cart mayhem, occasional flips. There was one instance where we played 18 at a nice course, the guy let us play the 3rd set of 9 (27 hole course) for free since it was the end of the day. We teamed up and did best-ball. The beverage cart girl came by and she didn't have much left, but we gave her $150 and she took our cart back and we drove hers with all the beer in it for the rest of the 6 holes. Needless to say we had a pretty bad final round lol!
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Don't give it up. It isn't all about the score. Of course the score counts, but just enjoy it. From my experience, the more frustrated you are, the more you try to fix everything, the more you suck. Just relax. Go back to the basics. Spend some time on the driving range getting your swing back in order. I start out with my 60* wedge and work my way through the bag with the next wedge/iron until I get to my fairway woods. That is a good warm-up for me before I go play a round. I warm up with about 80-90 shots before I even go play. As far as the God's of golf, if I listened to them I would have stopped playing years ago. The local course is overrun by prairie dogs. Unfortunately it happens to be a protected species, so we can't move them off the course. On numerous occasions the stupid prairie dogs have moved my and others golf balls. There is a local rule that if your ball is moved by, or lands on/in a prairie dog hole, it is replaced to the nearest point of relief with no penalty.One time I was playing with my dad and a couple other friends. The hole is a long downhill, dogleg left, 585 yard par 5. I setup for the normal tee shot I play on that hole, and try to cut off as much of the dogleg as possible. I hooked the ball a bit more than normal and it careened off the cart path, took an awesome bounce, kicked off a tree and left me with a 140 yard approach shot. Since that part of the fairway is hidden from the tee, I hit a provisional shot just in case I couldn't find my first ball. As we came around the hill that hides the fairway, my dad spotted a ball about 140 yards out. We first thought that it was an abandoned ball but went to check it out. As we drive up to the ball a *#^&$(@ prairie dog started pushing it across the fairway. We chased the dog, recovered the ball which ended up being my first drive. It was and still is the longest drive of my life, and was disturbed by some stupid animal.Sorry for the novel. But don't give up the game. It is too much fun.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

I have played maybe 5 times in the last 5 yrs and I SUCK... Yet, enjoy playing the game, driving around on the cart, and just relaxing... I did get some distance due to the cart path - man can a ball bounce on asphalt!
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
scherry2

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »I did get some distance due to the cart path - man can a ball bounce on asphalt!lol ain't that the truth.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

I do quite well at Wii Golf. Real Golf? I'm ashamed to post any scores here. I guess when you only play once a year or so with the Children's husbands a good score cannot be expected.I do have my own mini golf course and three automated driving cages though. You never have to bend over to set a ball. Hit one, a new one appears like magic!
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Caretaker

Re: My Golf Game (Tubaryan12)

Post by Caretaker »

I used to shoot in the mid to high 80's when I quit the game 15 years ago. I got sick and tired of waiting behind people dilly dallying in front of me. I used to be a 250 yard driver and would hit balls over people that were obviously gambling and would not let us play through. Once I hit a guy's cart on the fly. He waved his iron as if to take me on.....I waved my driver as if to say BRING IT ON. I also used to hit wedges on to par 3's when jerks were obviously (again) gambling and lining up putts like it was the 72nd hole at Turnburry. Several times, players on the green would take my ball and toss it into the water nearby. So after many run-ins, I decided to give the game away to those who take themselves (and their game) too seriously. However, I played the other day for the first time (again) in 15 years. My once wonderful golf game resulted in nine holes which produced two par 4s on my card (yes, legitimate), and several 10's and 11's. I think I'm done again for another 15 years.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

lol god i know how that feels...about people taking their sweet *** time on the golf course..i myself have only been playing for 3 yrs..started out on 9 hole courses and usually shot 40-45..then moved up to the 18 hole courses and shooting between 90-95..so i cant complain from where i've started to where i am now...also i'm self taught since i played baseball and hockey in the passed, i picked it up pretty easily