Redbox in a fight

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Whelan

Redbox in a fight

Post by Whelan »

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/56470Basically Redbox is being made to be the bad guy by industry people cause they charge $1 for the latest releases. Personally they have enough cash and I feel $1 is plenty for a one-night rental. Plus I can return it anywhere and I am not locked into a contract, and my information is not stored on some company database (blockbuster, netflix) for use by advertisers. Me and my gf use Redbox constantly and love it. It's easy, quick, and is right there in the store, no separate stop/trip needed. And I don't have to worry about the 16 year old behind the counter who never puts returns back on the shelf and leaves a pile behind him (hard enough to find a movie). Redbox, yes it'here, no it isn't. Done.Not to mention movies are expensive to go see. I'm not sure what changed, the cost to make them, cost of actors, etc. But I stay away from Sat. and Fri. nights cause it's full of little kids being kids and trouble makers. Not the ideal place anymore for a date night for adults. They think by throwing an ad making Redbox the bad guy showing the hurt in the movie industry it will change minds. Not mine, unless there is a movie Act passed to help these people too.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
jake75

Re: Redbox in a fight (Whelan)

Post by jake75 »

For me - neither. 1. Netflix uses pop-up ads. That ticks me off. How do they think those annoying ads are going to get them any business. Stupid!2. Redbox at $1/day - the Public Library is "free" and you can keep the movies several days.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
L5K

Re: Redbox in a fight (jake75)

Post by L5K »

Capitalism at work.They have no right to be angry when someone else offers their customers a better service at a better price. It's called competition and it's a good thing for consumers.I guess movie stores are mad that people aren't just letting them gouge their wallets.
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)
BlueCrush

Re: Redbox in a fight (Whelan)

Post by BlueCrush »

I use Blockuster Online for $13/month I get 1 DVD at a time. I usually receive 8-10 movies per month by mail and I also get 5 free in-store rentals (used to be 2 free in-store rentals up until last month). A better deal then Redbox, and I think they increased it due to Redbox. I have used Redbox a few times when we have gotten groceries. Very convenient.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I would go back to Netflix if they recognized my address, but since my house is in a newer subdivision Netflix doesn't think I exist. Right now we use some program through Hollywood Video that we pay $13/month and get more movies than we watch in 1 month.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I love Redbox and use them non-stop. I do, however, still go to the regular rental stores for the Unrated versions of films. I prefer an "uncut, unratedm or director's cut" over standard films. Occasionally Redbox will have and Unrated version of the film, but more often than not, they are the rated versions. So for people like me that prefer to see the film exactly how it was intended, then we will still go to the regular stores. Redbox still has the price and convienance factor right on. I wake up on Tuesday's and reserve my movie(s) online and can rest assured that I'm getting that day instead of getting lucky at the movie store.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Weird...after my latest post about Netflix I got an email from them asking me to come back. I checked and my house now exists.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Redbox is awesome, now they just need to give them a bigger selection/quantity and make their machines move a little faster when retrieving/returning movies it would be even better!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!