Braggin for the troops, in a way!

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
ToolGuy

Braggin for the troops, in a way!

Post by ToolGuy »

These are two of the Military vehicles I work on every day. The first one is called the Husky and was built for the UK. It is brand new and not there yet. We are still developing the information for it and the truck has had a few minor changes. I personally am wrting the entire Operators Manual for it.

Attached files
ToolGuy

Re: Braggin for the troops, in a way! (ToolGuy)

Post by ToolGuy »

The next is called the MaxxPro truck. It is a boy boy, 50,000 lbs, all dressed with extra armor! (no extra armor in this pic) It has saved many, many, lives and it is always nice to hear stories form the troops on it. They tell me thankyou and I say oh no, you deserve the thanks. They thank us because they know if they go on a mission in one, they will most likely come back alive. Sadly if the MaxxPro trucks were there for the start of the war, more would have been saved. Both trucks are built by International and this one falls under the MRAP category. Mine Resistant Ambush Protected.

Attached files
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Very cool. I work on NAB Little Creek in Norfolk Va. I'm sure I'll be seeing these guys sometime here in the future. There's a new vehicle that I've seen our EOD guys playing with that has a V shaped undercarridge for deflecting blasts from mines and IED's. I have no idea who makes it, or what it's called.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Those are freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
ToolGuy

Re: Braggin for the troops, in a way! (K-NINE)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »Very cool. I work on NAB Little Creek in Norfolk Va. I'm sure I'll be seeing these guys sometime here in the future. There's a new vehicle that I've seen our EOD guys playing with that has a V shaped undercarridge for deflecting blasts from mines and IED's. I have no idea who makes it, or what it's called. Yes both of these trucks have the V shaped hull as part of the belly armor. The MaxxPro is a lot larger of course. That design is key of course to saving lives as I am sure you know. I have heard of the NAB and should really check it out too. Military vehicles is all new to me, being that my background is automotive.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I've been working on some kind of military equipment since I joined the Navy at 18. I wish I would have made it a career. I get to see alot of cool stuff beacuse there is so much military in the Norfolk area. The Hummer is a great vehicle, but never really designed to take fire. That vehicle of yours looks like it will hold up to small arms fire with no problem. It should be a great asset in the mountains of Afghanistan.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

These trucks are great and tough for sure. However, just recently International lost in the bidding for the Hummer replacement. Like you said, the Hummer can't take fire, sure armor could be added, but that was not the original intent of the very dated vehicle. The truck above has a weight disavantage too. International wanted the business badly, but Oskosh Truck got it. Or at least the first 2,240 vehcilces. International called their vehicle the Scout, from old days, but the military class of the next gen hummer was called the M-ATV and was lighter for sand and maneuverability. Stood for, MRAP, All Terrain Vehicle. Internationals truck was a great truck and Oskoshs looked similar, I knew it would come down the Int. and Oskosh. For whatever reason, the military picked Oshkosh... Check it out one day, the truck is on their site. Possibly Int. will get some of the M-ATV business down the road, since I read and article that the military wants up to 10,000 M-ATVs, and International has a huge assembly plant in MS, didicated to defense production.So bye, bye, any new Hummers, hello M-ATVs! I am sure you will see an Oskosh M-ATV coming soon as well!
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Do you work for International, or for a company that was contracted to write the manuals?
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Contract...
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Same here. If the economy dries up too much in Michigan, there's plenty of military contract work here.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

They need HID's LOLsharp
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
ToolGuy

Re: Braggin for the troops, in a way! (keithvibe)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »They need HID's LOLsharpActually, the MaxxPro truck has all LEDs, except the headlamps, the markers near them and the top fender lamps. However, I just worked on a project in which ALL lamps were LEDs. I did not see them lit but all looked cool. The Husky does not have LEDs, the UK did not want them for whatever reason.
KNINE

Re: Braggin for the troops, in a way! (keithvibe)

Post by KNINE »

You should bid on the contract!
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »Same here. If the economy dries up too much in Michigan, there's plenty of military contract work here. That is good to know! Right now I feel safe, my wife, only a little with her work. Glad I made the career move from auto, to military when I did though!
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Those are frikkin SWAEEET ..TG..!!I like the MaxxPro better, but who wouldn't, most guys like BIG GUNS... lol..
keithvibe

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind » most guys like BIG GUNS... lol.. SAY WHAT??Most girls like big guns.... Guys just want to have the big guns. BWHAHAHA
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

yore play on z words is not amusing... you knowz what I meants..