the most overrated band ever?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
bodhi_tree777

the most overrated band ever?

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Over the 4th, by a fire and after many beers and white russians, some friends and I got to wondering who the most overrated band ever might be. Thought I'd trawl the forum for opinions. No sacred cows here, and no hurt feelings, but what band, in retrospect, strikes you as completely overrated and just kinda okay, when you take the hype away?For the record, the two contenders from our debate were Led Zeppelin (i disagreed on this one) and Nirvana (yeah, probably).
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
808 Vibes

Re: the most overrated band ever? (bodhi_tree777)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but hands down, it's The Wiggles.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

In what context are we talking? Actual music, the musicians, their impact on music, or the whole package period?
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
bodhi_tree777

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »In what context are we talking? Actual music, the musicians, their impact on music, or the whole package period?the whole enchilada.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

AFA Nirvana, I almost have to agree. I don't think their music was all that great. I like some songs but that's it. The only real musician out of the, I think, was Dave Grohl. But the impact they had of music was massive. So for Nirvana, I'd have to say almost overrated.The one band lately that I think is extremely overrated is the White Stripes and Kings of Leon.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
bodhi_tree777

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

I know I'm going to get destroyed for this by some angry, vengeful metal god (or you ), but Metallica is up there for me as well. And I was a huge Metallica fan back in the day. I guess their more recent antics, whiny documentary and all of that junk made me re-examine their music a little more and..meh. They're okay. Actually, I really like all of the bands mentioned so far (even the Wiggles). But definitely overrated.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

lol, I'll somewhat agree with you on Metallica. I think every band can have a crappy album, but to release 3 in a row... that to me tarnishes a legacy. Even if there are a few good songs on those albums, they were still bad. I think my feelings for them are along the same lines as what I stated about Nirvana. However, I think Metallica done so much more for music (metal in particular) Nirvana. I love Metallica and always will. I still did during the dreaded 3, but I think had they maybe relased one of the bad albums and then went back to a true Metallica album, then they would be no where near overrated. And I agree about the whining, and Napster, and ego's and all of that. I still blame it on those 3 albums though lol.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I'll have to agree 100% on both... Here where I live, we get "nightly Nirvana" I get soooooooooooooo effin sick of it... Yeah, they helped revolutionize the music industry, sweet, but there where OTHER bands that did as well.. Pearl Jam (which are STILL alive and kicking) Soundgarden..ect.. Let the band DIE already... seriously... They weren't even that "great" if you look at the music, they caught the world by surprise with "Smells Like Teen Spirit" wooooo big deal.. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the band, but with the relentless play it gets to this day, it's REALLY REALLY OLD.... I Love Metallica, but nothing after the Black Album.. These days, I usually turn the station or shut the radio off when some of the new stuff comes on... it's just downright terrible... I can't believe they even get to make records anymore We also get "Mandatory Metallica" nightly here on the local rock station... Which isn't bad, because they often play the older stuff, but when we get back to back of the newer stuff, i'm without the radio for 10min or more... Don't get me started on the Napster BS... They wouldn't have a name if it weren't for people passing on bootlegs in the beginning..
Kari

Post by Kari »

COLDPLAY.
GenVibe Global Moderator
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

+1 Kari!!!!!!!!I'm glad you brought that up Sublime. That was really the basis of the whole Bay Area Thrash scene out of the early 80's. No Life Till Leather was traded and bootlegged like crazy in order to get their name out there. I'll just leave it that if it wasn't for trading tapes and bootlegging in the early 80's, the metal scene would faintly exist today.
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »white russiansGood choice And Nirvana isn't overrated, they're overplayed. Listen to something other than Smells Like Team Spirit, or some thing that isn't playd that often, they're a great band.Lil' Wayne, now there's someone who is way overrated...
bodhi_tree777

Re: the most overrated band ever? (Amtron)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by Amtron »Good choice And Nirvana isn't overrated, they're overplayed. Listen to something other than Smells Like Team Spirit, or some thing that isn't playd that often, they're a great band.Lil' Wayne, now there's someone who is way overrated...I agree, and I love Nirvana. I think they're at their best on noisier stuff like Incesticide and then pulling out the Meat Puppets and Vaselines covers on Unplugged. But the singles just get old after awhile. Coldplay's a good choice, not a terrible band but not nearly as epic as they'd like you to believe. Radiohead as well, and I really like them, but Thom Yorke could fart into a bag and release it on vinyl and reviewers everywhere would eat it up.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Amtron »Good choice And Nirvana isn't overrated, they're overplayed. Listen to something other than Smells Like Team Spirit, or some thing that isn't playd that often, they're a great band.Lil' Wayne, now there's someone who is way overrated...Oh God, don't get me started on rap these days... I'm a oldshool rap LOVER (Ed Lover that is, wanna wanna wanna wa wa, wann wann wanna wa wa.. Ed Lover dance...lol...Yo MTV Raps...boyyyyyyyyyyy)There are a few rays of hope these days with Jurassic 5 and Gym Class Heros, just to name some, but 99% of it is total GARBAGE... makes me wonder how people get record deals and MAKE MONEY anymore... But they do, and a lot of it.. how, I don't know... but they sure love to flaunt it... I really miss the days of De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest and that whole "peace" crew... I have all the albums still and break them out every so often, still know 99% of the words to0!!... my GF looks at me like i'm a total lunatic, when I start rappin, though... lol... I watched Lakview Terris last night and the main guy liked the Jungle Brothers.. (which is funny considering some of the slang terms for his interracial relationship...lol... the irony)
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

most of the winners of American Idol.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I agree with all of the answers given so far. But now it is time to turn the fire up higher fellow Vibers. You need to stop picking garage bands when voting for the MOST overrated. Time to reach for the top here. I have two: Elvis Presley (we all know the REAL Elvis is Costello), and The Beatles. Good gravy, give these two a rest already
ColonelPanic

Re: the most overrated band ever? (Sublimewind)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »99% of it is total GARBAGE... makes me wonder how people get record deals and MAKE MONEY anymore... But they do, and a lot of it.. how, I don't know... but they sure love to flaunt it... That's the corporate machine at work, the entity that has destroyed music. Create cookie-cutter "stars" who are sorely lacking of any sort of talent, have them turn out a substandard product, force feed it to the sheeple and take their dollars, repeat. Barf. This sort of thing has been around for ages but it can not be denied that it has become worse in recent years.Coldplay is a prime example of that. They have no talent, yet I couldn't walk around in the mall without hearing that horrible la vida vida playing in every store at some point. Definitely overrated!I'm with you on the old school rap. This new crap is annoying... I was listening to A Tribe Called Quest outside today when I cleaned up the car. I liked alternative (maybe not so much Nirvana) from the 90's but I can't listen to what they try to pass as "alternative" today with the pretty boys wearing mascara... And don't get me started on the teeny bopper pop crap.Maybe I'm just becoming a crotchedy old fart... Everything today sucks. They don't make 'em like they used to. Guess it's time for me to go throw on Kind Of Blue which turns 50 this year.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Caretaker

Re: the most overrated band ever? (ColonelPanic)

Post by Caretaker »

You are so right Colonel. Even when a genius comes along like Michelle Branch, she gives up her stellar talent and blockbuster albums and goes to Nashville to pursue Country music!! Yikes
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Tough call but I'd give it to Nirvana.... but the new G'n'R wins the overratedness in my books!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

The Greatful Dead.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Caretaker

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by Caretaker »

+1 on that K=NINE
ned23

Post by ned23 »

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »Over the 4th, by a fire and after many beers and white russians, some friends and I got to wondering who the most overrated band ever might be. Thought I'd trawl the forum for opinions. No sacred cows here, and no hurt feelings, but what band, in retrospect, strikes you as completely overrated and just kinda okay, when you take the hype away?For the record, the two contenders from our debate were Led Zeppelin (i disagreed on this one) and Nirvana (yeah, probably). In terms of 90s bands, Nirvana was actaully halfway decent and Pearl Jam is probably the most overrated, IMO. I'd also buy coldplay for 2000's bands.
ned23

Re: the most overrated band ever? (scherry2)

Post by ned23 »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »most of the winners of American Idol. they're not really bands, tho. They're mostly just solo singers who don't even write their own music and haven't added much of anything new or unique to the art as other "singers" like Elvis did.
scherry2

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by K-NINE »The Greatful Dead. lol even though I do have a few of their vinyl LP's they really are overated, but to their defense, if you were in their state of mind it sounded quite good!
ned23

Re: (scherry2)

Post by ned23 »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »lol even though I do have a few of their vinyl LP's they really are overated, but to their defense, if you were in their state of mind it sounded quite good! If you consider that they're really a live performance band then I'd say they put on one of the best traveling stage shows in rock for quite a while in that genre.
lifes tuff

Post by lifes tuff »

I can tell all of you the best band ever, Insane Clown Posse
ICP Fan
DeClerq

Post by DeClerq »

Rolling StonesAerosmith
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring'04 Vibe - M&T, Power Package, Protection Package
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Milli Vinilli FTW
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
KNINE

Re: (DeClerq)

Post by KNINE »

+1 on the Stones. They had some alright songs, but over rated.+1 on Metallica, too.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Oh God, don't get me started on rap these days... I'm a oldshool rap LOVER (Ed Lover that is, wanna wanna wanna wa wa, wann wann wanna wa wa.. Ed Lover dance...lol...Yo MTV Raps...boyyyyyyyyyyy)How about some Funkdoobiest, Cypres Hill, Snoop Dog or some Dre?There's some decent new stuff, Kanye has a lot, Eminem has never disappointed...
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Amtron »How about some Funkdoobiest, Cypres Hill, Snoop Dog or some Dre?There's some decent new stuff, Kanye has a lot, Eminem has never disappointed...It's old school.... so there was still plenty of talent left... I loves me some Snoop and Dre... I just get soooooooooooooooooooooooooo stick of the lack of rhythm and rhyme anymore.. it's sad.. everything sounds so bleak and chopped up... Understand also, i'm not saying that there aren't any good people out there, i'm just saying they are few and far between anymore...
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I know I will (removed) some people off.....Pink Floyd & Jimmy page from Led Zep. I always thought he was a much better rythm player than solo player. Im not in touch with the newer bands.As far as Rap goes, I believe the last group to do anything signifigant or artstic was Public Enemy. They were heavy (for rap) & actually had something to say. Seems like all new Rap music is about Drinking, Money, disrespecting women, & being proud of living in the ghetto. I remember the song "the Message" from Grand Master Flash. It was about living in the ghetto & not being happy with it.....now its cool cause it sells?? Im just old.Emninem just anoys the hell out of me.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Amtron

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by cptnsolo77 »I know I will (removed) some people off.....You're right. Pink Floyd is amazing. There's nothing better than listening to the Dark Side of the Moon album late at night.
Caretaker

Re: (Amtron)

Post by Caretaker »

---------You're right. Pink Floyd is amazing. ------------Ah, Dark Side of the Moon: Engineered by none other than the endlessly talented Alan Parsons, who also had David Gilmour on his latest album, A Valid Path.
goochsmooch

Post by goochsmooch »

I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned: U2, and specifically, BONO! Who the hell decided these guys were cool? And I completely agree that any American Idol winner is grossly overrated. Basically, anything that's voted on by teenage girls is going to suck BIG TIME.
2009 1.8L Vibe - Manual
Neouka

Post by Neouka »

Nickelback.garbage garbage garbage garbage garbage I like my Billy Joel and Jimmy Buffett thankyouverymuch. Joel has a ton of good songs that you never hear. It's much better than the crap put out today.
03 Abyss Base, not 5 .. 6spd!2012 Focus soon...
Caretaker

Re: (Neouka)

Post by Caretaker »

Yes, Nickelback is the worst of the worst garage bands. I can't understand why anyone would think that awful voice would translate into talent. Again though, Nickelback doesn't deserve the most overrated since they were never considered tops by anyone in the first place.
KNINE

Re: (Caretaker)

Post by KNINE »

How about Kid Rock? He should have been a one hit wonder years ago. Yet they still play his crap on the radio. I don't know if he's considered to be great by music critics. I'm just saying, go away!
cptnsolo77

Re: (Amtron)

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Its just my opinion. For progressive rock I always thought Relayer, Close to the edge & Fragile were better progessive rock albums. Yeah they can sound kinda gay with Jon Andersons vocals, but Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Bill Buford & Rick Wakeman were just incredible in thier heyday. I know Floyd influenced them but I thought they just did it better. Kinda like Rush was a better version of Yes. Yes was good acid tripping music...LOL.Kid rock....ewwwwwww......I wanna be a cowboy baby...lolI do like Neyo though, he at least uses live instruments, and has a decent voice. Hey its all subjective and generational.Some people hate Van Halen with Sammy Hagar I like them with sammy lol. Dave was awesome too!Nirvana, yeah i would say overated but after all the glam rock from the 80s we sure needed it. It was refreshing! I think Foo Fighters are better than Nirvana. I like Everlong better than Teen spirit.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by goochsmooch »I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned: U2, and specifically, BONO! Who the hell decided these guys were cool? And I completely agree that any American Idol winner is grossly overrated. Basically, anything that's voted on by teenage girls is going to suck BIG TIME. +1 for any American Idol b.s.U2 on the other hand is one of the best bands that ever has or will exist.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Amtron

Re: (Neouka)

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by Neouka »Nickelback.garbage garbage garbage garbage garbageQuote, originally posted by goochsmooch »I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned: U2, and specifically, BONO! Who the hell decided these guys were cool? +1. I change the station every time that garbage comes on.
renate

Post by renate »

Thats another reason I like Rhapsody.I never have to change the station because I only download stuff I like....
Renate and "Babycakes"2008 Stealth/graphite VibeAuto tranny. 16" aluminum wheels,steering wheel cover,front seat covers,Sony stereo w/mp3 jack and satellite ready,Alarm system,proud parent of U.S.Marine magnet
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

These threads tend to always turn into this.. It becomes much more of a debate when peoples feeling get hurt.. lol... I hate to admit this, but I like Nickleback... It's rock, pure rock, much like Saliva, which is another I like a lot... they don't try and cover up what they are doing, they are rock stars, plain and simple.. AFA the voice on Chad Kroger, well, it's no different than any of the other "raspy" voiced singers out there... I'm not saying everyone should like them, not at all, i'm just saying for what it is (rock) it IS what it IS.... lol... Same for Kid Rock.. He's put out a lot of rockin music.. Mullet boys (and girls) here in Mi, LOVE the KR.. It is what it is... Floyd... well, they were epic.. I think a lot of people lose interest with radio play... I try not to listen to the radio because of this... There is nothing worse than a GREAT song being ruined by the radio...
Amtron

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »It's rock, pure rock, much like Saliva, which is another I like a lot...Another great band right there.
silvrhawk7

Post by silvrhawk7 »

As far as overratedKanye West.....Eminem....Enough saidAs far as overplayed...AerosmithThe PoliceLynrd SkynardSteve MillerGreen DayLed Zepplinetc....Personally, the local radio stations in my area (Clearchannel and infinity) are the ones that seem to overplay a lot of the stuff and the "classic rock" station here seems to think Green Day belongs on that list of classic rock, and it wouldnt be so bad if the stations would play other songs that just the ones that made billboard charts. Thats why i have given up FM radio.. Also dont get me wrong, the overplayed bands i loved growing up with, and still play their music in my car to this day, however when big business takes control of the airwaves, it just kills these bands....
In Memory, taken too early in a rear end collision
Sunrise: June 2006, Sunset: Jan 2015 :cry:
Miles 129,000
2006 Silver Mono, Base 4-Speed auto.
In Memory of Pontiac Motor Division 1926-2010
In Memory of the Pontiac Vibe 2002-2009
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

Oh speaking of over played...I'm sorta sick of hearing MJ. I mean he was great and all, but give it a rest :S
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

I'm going to date myself here a bit (well, maybe not as much as you guys spouting 70's bands). But here's my list of crappiest bands who got air time and publicity during the "decade of decadence" when I was livin' the life:Pretty Boy Floyd (Me and 3 drunk monkeys could make better music.)White Lion (Worst friggin' live band I ever heard, and I heard a lot.)Autograph (Just plain wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.)Europe (Who thought a lead singer who sounds like he's crying through every song was a good idea?)There are others deserving of this list, but these are the worst offenders in my book. How any of these guys got radio play and a record deal is beyond me.
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
Sublimewind

Re: the most overrated band ever? (NUBlackshirts)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by NUBlackshirts »I'm going to date myself here a bit (well, maybe not as much as you guys spouting 70's bands). But here's my list of crappiest bands who got air time and publicity during the "decade of decadence" when I was livin' the life:Pretty Boy Floyd (Me and 3 drunk monkeys could make better music.)White Lion (Worst friggin' live band I ever heard, and I heard a lot.)Autograph (Just plain wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.)Europe (Who thought a lead singer who sounds like he's crying through every song was a good idea?)There are others deserving of this list, but these are the worst offenders in my book. How any of these guys got radio play and a record deal is beyond me.Good thing the thread isn't about the worst bands ever, JUST the most overrated.. lol..
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Limp Bizkit was over rated. Liked a few of his songs but that was about it. Korn was good but now... same thing... meh. People buy the new stuff cause come on, its KORN! Linkin Park is another on my list of overrated. They were good with the first album.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

i can't believe it took so long to mention nickelback. generic lyrics pushed out in a voice fit for a pepto bismol commercial.then you have theory of a nickelback... i mean dead man. that group fell straight out of chad's (removed) and continued his legacy of mediocrity. how about the chili peppers? sure, some of their stuff is catchy, but most of the lyrics are pure crap that just rhymes. not to mention, when you fail to come up with words to a melody, just make up some babble to go along with the music. also, songs about california; we get it already.weezer? especially the newer stuff. here's one sure to ruffle feathers: linkin park. i can sum up all their crap like this: "i'm going to change who i am. you can't change who i am. i don't want to be like you. you will never be like me. noone understands what it's like to be me."i could go on and on and i just popped my first beer of the evening!-edit-mav beat me to linkin park while i was typing
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

Nickelback! talk about over kill.As far as under rated,has to be Helix......these guys are still awesome even after 30 years.
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.