Tempur-pedic

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
renate

Tempur-pedic

Post by renate »

Does anyone have one of these and do they like it? I went to get a new mattress set today and,yup! I went for the wonderful payment plan.2 grand for a tempur pedic with a 20 year warranty.
Renate and "Babycakes"2008 Stealth/graphite VibeAuto tranny. 16" aluminum wheels,steering wheel cover,front seat covers,Sony stereo w/mp3 jack and satellite ready,Alarm system,proud parent of U.S.Marine magnet
808 Vibes

Re: Tempur-pedic (renate)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Yikes! Too rich for my blood! LOL. I just got a new pillowtop platform for a little over a grand. No payments, thankyouverymuch
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

A co-worker just shelled out like $2600 or something on one of those. But hey, they threw in two pillows - a bargain. I always give him crap about it because I'm cheap. Those things are crazy expensive... Hope the sleepin's good! We expect a full write-up.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

The Tempur-pedic and the crazy gel type beds are way too pricey for me.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

self professed bed expert here: avoid the temperpedic unless you like sweating to death on the bed. Some of the newer models have a porous top to let "air flow" through to your body, but I would not believe it if I were you. If you have such a store as we do here in the Delta Quadrant: go to the Healthy Back Store (HBS). They sell both the temperpedic and their own version (much cheaper). They also carry a line called Dormia (made only for the HBS). It is part memory foam and part latex. They also come with an adjustable frame and massage. I bought two and love them. HBS also likes to negotiate too. Prices are meaningless and they are all too happy to make you happy. Strike a deal. In conclusion, I'd avoid the 100% memory foam beds. Although they do exactly what they say they will do (support the entire body VERY well), I don't like the body heat radiating back at me, nor the "crawling out of a trench" feeling every time I want to get out of bed. Good Luck.
psiu

Post by psiu »

Nope, but we have a Sleep Number bed. Queen size, dual zone, wireless remote control, frame for it. Cost: $0.Got it free from some friends of my wife's family. It's like a $2500 setup otherwise.
Sputnik

Re: (psiu)

Post by Sputnik »

We just bought a new king size bed - the bed (headboard, footboard, rails), box spring and mattress was $3600 all together. Not a tempur pedic though. I love it. King size is awesome!
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
renate

Re: (psiu)

Post by renate »

The salesman said that the "myth" that the tempur-pedic traps your body heat isn't true.Mine has the air flow thing,and also I have 100 days of getting to sleep in it within which I can return it on day 99...This being the hottest time of the year,if I can sleep on it during the summer I'm sure winter will be no problem.I will keep everyone posted.This is my first brand new bed since I was 7 years old!
Renate and "Babycakes"2008 Stealth/graphite VibeAuto tranny. 16" aluminum wheels,steering wheel cover,front seat covers,Sony stereo w/mp3 jack and satellite ready,Alarm system,proud parent of U.S.Marine magnet
djkeev

Re: (renate)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by renate »The salesman said that .......... ????!!??? Of course the salesman just wanted you to be comfy I'm sure, His #1 goal is NOT to make a sale.Believe me, they ARE hot!!! You are sleeping in a cocoon of insulation. It's not unlike a mummy sleeping bag closing in upon you. Yes, they modified their design, why? They were roasting people. Still, too hot, even modified.If you or your wife are the freezing cold all the time type, you will love it though.Test it for a few nights and then Return it while you can.My 2xDave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
IMakeVibes

Post by IMakeVibes »

I don't have a Tempur-pedic, but what I have is extremely comfortable. It is a handmade bed by the McRoskey company in San Francisco. My mom bought me the first one of there when I was 9. I bought my own when I moved out and have been sleeping on it ever since. I'm ashamed to say that was 18 years ago and yes I know the time is coming to consider a new one. Whenever someone ends up sitting or laying on my bed, they usually comment on how comfortable it is. Hope yours works out - good luck!
renate

Post by renate »

Ok.The mattress arrived today! Very nice! The box beneath is actually very heavy,much heavier than the mattress which is also fairly heavy.On the notion that it may be a "hot sleep",I have set my fan up already and my room is nice and cool. I don't anticipate too much warmth being a problem.It is much firmer than at the showroom but that was expected according to the salesman.Mine doesn't have countless people trying it out all day for who knows how long....The sales man gave me a choice of two regular pillows or a tempur pedic pillow.I chose the tempur pillow and that alone is a gift in it self.If I had a regular mattress I would get a tempur pillow.So,Day 1 and all is well.I will try to give a weekly update,as I now have 99 days to decide...
renate

Post by renate »

I have had the bed for 4 nights now.Everyday gets better! The first night was miserable.Didn't sleep at all.Very uncomfortable.Second night was better than the first,only slightly.Third night,was a lot better.Last night,I laid down for a nap with a kink in my neck and woke up an hour later and the kink was gone.Slept much better.It is a much deeper sleep,seems like.I think its a keeper.Thats my update for now.It does sleep a little hot,but I hear thats probably good for my joints,and I have a fan on me so its actually pretty comfortable.
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Yeah, it takes awhile to adjust to a new bed. I think it took me about a month! (I'm getting old LOL) The first few weeks I would wake up with back pain. Now, no more insomnia AND no more back pain
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I have a memory foam pillow (not the expensive Tempur Pedic kind but more like the $14.99 "got it on special at ALDI" variety. ) The first night I didn't sleep too well on it since it just seemed so firm but it didn't take long to get used to it. Now I love that pillow.So, i can imagine having the whole bed made from memory foam could take some getting used to. Glad to see it's working out for you.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Sputnik

Re: Tempur-pedic (ColonelPanic)

Post by Sputnik »

I slept like a baby the first night on my new mattress. In fact its calling to me right now, so off I go...
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
KrazyB

Post by KrazyB »

My brother in law worked for a place that made latex beds, and they had a trade in program bring in your old matress and get credit on your new matress. This older couple brought in there tempur pedic matress complaining that it smelt funny. After they left he cut it open to find tons and tons of mold on the inside of it. This is because like mentioned in these posts you just sweat on them. So I would not recommend them.
renate

Re: Tempur-pedic (KrazyB)

Post by renate »

Mine came with a waterproof mattress cover
KrazyB

Post by KrazyB »

Well that would solve that problem then. I should be a good mattress without having to worry about the other stuff.
Whelan

Re: Tempur-pedic (KrazyB)

Post by Whelan »

I don't have one, but I have heard the same as Caretaker. The Tempur-pedic can make you sweat like crazy.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
renate

Post by renate »

Ok.I love this bed.I am not returning it,and I love the tempur pedic pillow that came with it.No more updates needed
renate

Post by renate »

Ok just a quick update.I have had the bed for exactly 30 days today,and it is completely perfect for me.I love it.I sleep very soundly and no longer toss and turn.As good an investment as the Vibe.
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

i've always wanted to try the temper pedic matress but they're so expensive and as you can see by my name, i can't afford it my old matress was hard as a wood, as a matter of fact it was just wood with a little cushion on top. my parents liked those and got me one =/ shoulder hurts when i sleep on my side lol i added one of those 2" memory foam matress pad to it and it felt better. during summer time it was so hot and made me sweat like a pig at night so i can't imagine having the whole matress made out of that =/
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

My parents have a Tempurpedic and love It!We have a memory foam topper for our bed and its nice.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Beats the $100 dollar cot from Gander Mountain I sleep on every night.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi