Dumbells vs. other Weight Training

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Whelan

Dumbells vs. other Weight Training

Post by Whelan »

So as I've been told, weight training is the best way to shape yourself up. Being that I have a beach trip next June and then a cruise in August followed by another beach in October. I am currently trying to shed pounds and shape up. I know in the holiday season its tuff but I am committed. I have a friend getting me goin with the weight loss/diet part. But for me, I hate gyms, not cause of the people there, just never got into them. It's too cold for me to want to go outside for anything either. So I figured something at home. No room for a set of barbells either. But I keep seeing these adjustable dumbells like the Bowflex and Stamina's. So please cast your vote and give an opinion as well. Will Dumbell workouts be good for just toning me out a bit? Also is a 25lb dumbell (each hand) ok for a true beginner?*keep in mind I'm not looking to get into serious bulked massiveness, just some toning to shape out.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I think the 25lbs work work good for now. They will be a bit of a hassle at first due to their weight, but once you get past a couple of week and are able to start gaining reps, they will be good. Plus, using them as resistance for stuff such as crunchs, dips, etc will be a good start at 25 lbs. It would actually be best to start of with a lower weight, but since you sound rather committed, 25 would prob work. Just take it easy at first and don't strain yourself jumping into the 25 lbs.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
lovemyraffe

Re: Dumbells vs. other Weight Training (Whelan)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I like any of the voting options. Weight training is great for you, but weights alone is not going to lose weight. If you want to lose weight, you need to do a cardio workout. Balance it with weights. There is no 1 weight that will work for everything. Some exercises you will want more weight than others. If you only have the ability to do either cardio or weights, cardio will lose weight, weights will tone and build.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

I'd say get the 50 lb set as well, that way when you eventually build up your muscle you can use the larger weights. lovemyraffe is right, no one weight is good for every prt of your body. You might use more weight to do when you do squats, or maybe less for your triceps.Since you said room was an issue, I'd recommend getting yourself an exercise ball. With an exercise ball you can open up for many more different exercises, especially pecs. For example, flies, dumbell press, etc. Plus, you can use it for a lot of ab exercises like holding it between your legs when doing leg raises. If you want to get in good shape, working your core is really important. Get some abs in your workout for sure! Your dumbells you have now can be put to good use for ab routines as well. And don't forget to balance out your whole body! There's my input, hope it helps!
Whelan

Re: Dumbells vs. other Weight Training (Amtron)

Post by Whelan »

I plan on doing crunches, push ups, and when the weather gets nicer getting my Gary Fisher on the road. Also when I say 25lbs. I don't mean just a set of 25lb straight. I am talkiing the adjustables where you can select your weight in 5lb incrmements up to 25lbs per bell. I was hoping to use them when doing things like lunges and what not too for resistance. Working up to multiple reps
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

If you are looking for an adjustable set, go with a 50 lb set. You will use the extra weight. An exercise ball is a great tool to use. It really works your core muscles. Definitely worth the $$$.
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

And of course you also want to eat right. No deep fried anything and garbage like that I just did a diet for 25 days and I lost 15 pounds. If you want to shed some extra fat then that's the way to go. I wasn't overweight to begin with, my buddy just bet me I couldn't do it. Then it turned into a competition to see who could get a 6 pack first, so I kept with the diet.If you're interested I can give you the diet. It's a high protein, low fat, low carb diet. And before anyone gets on my case, yes, I know you need carbs and fat, but that's taken care of with supplements. And I am also aware that most of the time when you get off of a strict diet it is hard to keep it off. If you have a healthier life style after then it'll be fine.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

http://hundredpushups.com/finaltest.htm ... ore/wiifit with yoga and strength training helped too. You dont need to spend tons of money to get a work out, its just about being active and eating properly.
BlueCrush

Re: (northvibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

I prefer using dumbells since it enables you to pinpoint muscle groups better and does a better job of building core muscles while also increasing your overall stability. I use a set of 10's, 15's ad 25's for now. But am also thinking of getting a set similar to a Bowflex SelectTech(?) with the adjustable weight selection, but a cheaper version.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Whelan

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by Whelan »

Currently I have my friend who did WW'ers help me out, I got points setup and what not, its like doing it without paying for the service.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

i agree with wolfman... ideally you should build up to that weight. but i'm assuming you're pretty active so you should be ok. also try to do some aerobic type of work too, like walking or running (i hate both ) to burn off the fat. if you just lift weights, you'll be building muscle, but it wil be under a layer of something else. and diet is important too. sucks to not have kfc every other nite, but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do...keepp in mind that lower weights with more reps help slim and tone; going heavier w less reps will build your mass.have fun!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
joholste

Re: (Whelan)

Post by joholste »

are you looking to gain tone or gain tone and mass. would you like to lose weight or do you want to actually gain a litte weight and get cut. If you just want to tone down and lose weight then 25 lbs should be fine...but you need to do high rep / low weight workouts. If you want to gain cut and some mass then I say go with High Weight / Low Rep workouts. You also will benefit if you can find an indoor pool and swimming laps for 30 minutes a day. If you really want to get cut look into some weight loss pills, the top two non prescription weight loss pills are Lipo6X and Hydroxycut Hardcore. I know you said you don't like public gyms but they honestly are the best bet for you. Some have mentioned an exercise ball. I agree with them... exercise balls are outstanding for at home workouts. You should also look into medicine balls they are great for abs and pecs.
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Alright, 2 dumbells isn't going to get you anywhere. Not trying to be harsh. But you can only really work out your biceps, tri's, and chest. And other muscle groups as well, just not as well if you were to go to the gym and get trained by a trainer. Its the best way. Tell them what you are aiming for, and they will help you out.If you have ANY questions at all, just ask. I know a lot about physical fitness.
Whelan

Re: (Kevzaz)

Post by Whelan »

I debated gettin a trainer, there is a place near my house like a little private gym that they do one on ones with you. I may check it out this week for S&G's.I wanna lose weight first get back to my core. Ever since I stopped smokin which is pulling on 6 months now I put on the pounds. So I am workin on cutting back on that first.Ultimately I want to get slightly cut, not ridiculously ripped but a flatter stomach (possibly a pack), some definition up top (never really had arms but some tone would be nice). And I would be happy with that.Maybe heading to a PT would not be horrible since I am totally clueless when it comes to working out. The most I ever did was swim back in High School and sailboat race in college.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »I debated gettin a trainer, there is a place near my house like a little private gym that they do one on ones with you. I may check it out this week for S&G's.I wanna lose weight first get back to my core. Ever since I stopped smokin which is pulling on 6 months now I put on the pounds. So I am workin on cutting back on that first.Ultimately I want to get slightly cut, not ridiculously ripped but a flatter stomach (possibly a pack), some definition up top (never really had arms but some tone would be nice). And I would be happy with that.Maybe heading to a PT would not be horrible since I am totally clueless when it comes to working out. The most I ever did was swim back in High School and sailboat race in college. Nothing wrong with swimming. If you can, get to a gym that has a pool. If not, no biggie. Swimming is a healthy choice, it burns 3 times as much calories than running, and keeps your body cool. Works out most of your muscles.But if you want to work on your core. Look into squats, bench, dead lifts, power cleans, and standing military press. But make sure to discuss this with a trainer due to potential stress on joints and bones.But one of the most important things to keep in your head is nutrition. No matter how much you work out, if you go home and eat ice cream after, you wont get anywhere. Nutrition is 75 percent of loosing or gaining weight. When a gym trainer can be there for you when your in the gym, your on your own on what you do when you leave, so it takes some serious discipline.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Glad to hear you are still not smoking! I did not know that you were a swimmer in high school. Jump back in the water. It is one of the best workouts anyone could ask for. I swam in high school and college. To lose the extra weight, you gotta burn extra calories. Lots and lots of cardio.
harryyiii

Post by harryyiii »

I lost 40 lbs with weight training and elyptical aerobics, but I have kept the weight off for 6 years (BMI24.5) with weights alone. I do a circuit at the gym, so I get aerobic effect. If you are going to do dumbells, consider the quick change type (turn a knob and the appropriate weights attach to the bar). A little expensive, but don't take up a lot of room.Consider the South Beach Diet as a lifestyle change. Works for me.Get a ball or a bosu and a chin up bar. Do lots of chinups, pushups, and abdominal excesses. Just some thoughts, flame freely.
Kari

Post by Kari »

Free weights/dumbbells are actually better to use than the machines because the machines unnaturally isolate muscles, whereas the use of free weights more mimics the way you use your muscles in life and leads to "functional fitness"....teaching your muscles to work together instead of be strengthened separately.
GenVibe Global Moderator
Kevzaz

Re: Dumbells vs. other Weight Training (Kari)

Post by Kevzaz »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »Free weights/dumbbells are actually better to use than the machines because the machines unnaturally isolate muscles, whereas the use of free weights more mimics the way you use your muscles in life and leads to "functional fitness"....teaching your muscles to work together instead of be strengthened separately.Correct, but he was wondering if it was dumbbells or not dumbbells. But that is true. Free weights are better than machines. With free weights, its usually a compound workout which utilizes more than one muscle. Also, it gives you better balance and a better core. However, it could potentially be more stressful on joints (i.e. Squats, Deadlifts). Because if you do things with incorrect form, you can hurt yourself, another reason to go to a trainer, to learn correct form.
Whelan

Re: Dumbells vs. other Weight Training (Kevzaz)

Post by Whelan »

Yeah I think I may pickup a trainer just for a few times to get myself in a routine or some kind of set plan. Not smoking has made me feel soo much better even though I gained the weight, I feel healthier. I wont be able to start the workouts for a few though cause I had an ankle injury the other day moving sheetrock into a house. Stupid lawncare guys left their tools out, I stepped on on and rolled my ankle. Felt great. But I didnt drop the sheetrock! 3 sheets of 4x8 5/8" is not light.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
joholste

Post by joholste »

honestly the best workout program right now is called Crossfit...It really worksout just about every muscle you can possibly imagine...I will probably be picking it up in June or July...and the good thing about it is it only takes about 20-30 minutes. you can google it if you want.
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)