Alaskan Oil Dividend

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
jake75

Alaskan Oil Dividend

Post by jake75 »

Read this: Individuals pay no state income tax in Alaska. Alaska has no sales tax. Everyone in Alaska (including children) got a $1,654 dividend check for 2007. The dividend for 2008 should be between $2,500 and $3,000 due to the increase in oil prices. Curious - is that "dividend" subject to federal income tax?
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Mavrik

Re: Alaskan Oil Dividend (jake75)

Post by Mavrik »

I don't believe so... but I don't care. Its still free money for me and the wife haha
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
jake75

Re: Alaskan Oil Dividend (Mavrik)

Post by jake75 »

OK - I did the research - it is subject to federal income tax - so for most people they lose 25% of it to the federal government. And since most gainfully employed people in Alaska make good wages, perhaps they lose 28% of it in federal income tax. At least that federal tax helps the rest of us.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Yes, we pay tax on it, and it's like any dividend from an investment so it's a lot of tax. However, no matter how you slice it, we still come out ahead. and I think we end up paying about 30 or 33? I don't know but it sucks.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
02csnow

Re: Alaskan Oil Dividend (jake75)

Post by 02csnow »

I remember getting those every year and oh how I miss them. But when I was getting them, they were usually between $1000 and $1200.
Bye Bye Vibe.............
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

they all depend on the market. usually about a 2 year delay. so this year should be high, last year was high, the year before that was low, etc. I believe the smallest one I received has been about $600? and the most, just shy of $2000.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by Mavrik »

vacation, car parts and bills here we come lol
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Whelan

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by Whelan »

It's funny cause you can tell who handles the bills and taxes in your household HAHAHA!MavrikI don't believe so... but I don't care. Its still free money for me and the wife hahaAKLGTYes, we pay tax on it, and it's like any dividend from an investment so it's a lot of tax. However, no matter how you slice it, we still come out ahead. and I think we end up paying about 30 or 33? I don't know but it sucks.It's funny cause you can tell who handles the bills and taxes in your household HAHAHA!
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

It is good that residents of Alaska get a piece of the pie as many more than likely depend on that money, living and working in Alaska is different than working and living in the lower 48 States. Quote, originally posted by Whelan »It's funny cause you can tell who handles the bills and taxes in your household HAHAHA!You would be surprised how many women take care of the finances in many families.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Mavrik

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by Mavrik »

Yeah the wife handles the bills. I just work as hard as I can to make money to cover them.
AKLGT

Re: (Whelan)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »It's funny cause you can tell who handles the bills and taxes in your household HAHAHA!MavrikI don't believe so... but I don't care. Its still free money for me and the wife hahaAKLGTYes, we pay tax on it, and it's like any dividend from an investment so it's a lot of tax. However, no matter how you slice it, we still come out ahead. and I think we end up paying about 30 or 33? I don't know but it sucks.It's funny cause you can tell who handles the bills and taxes in your household HAHAHA!LOL. and you didn't know this already?? FINANCE, TAXES, MONEY, PAY BILLS, SPEND MONEY (good at this), FUTURE PLANNING AND ASSETS = meHOUSE WORKING AND OPERATING, VEHICLES WORKING AND OPERATING, MAKING THINGS WORK AND OPERATE = MavrikAnd actually, this year, one will go to our planned trip and the other to taxes and the newly formed Business/Corp.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »It is good that residents of Alaska get a piece of the pie as many more than likely depend on that money, living and working in Alaska is different than working and living in the lower 48 States. You would be surprised how many women take care of the finances in many families. true. for us, it's great to have the money and it helps with the finances, but we're not dependent upon it. However, in rural areas, they are. If they don't have it, they are really screwed financially.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Whelan

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by Whelan »

I've never had a girl handle my money. Even when I was engaged we had our own bills and separate accounts.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »I've never had a girl handle my money. Even when I was engaged we had our own bills and separate accounts. ah well, if you keep everything separate, don't be surprised when you separate too. It's about trust and putting your money in together, that you're in it together. Sure, it sucked when I went thru my divorce long ago, but we keep all our money together except for the business. My money goes into our big pot that pays the bills including any extra stuff like PFD. We both have to pay the bills, I just make sure they're paid on time and our credit is excellent... no bad marks. I have a separate spending money account to help keep my spending down. Don't have to worry about Mav though... he buys the occassional vid game or CD IF I haven't bought it for him first. Sometimes I get busy and forget something but quickly make sure I remedy it before it gets to a bad point or late payment point. God bless autopay and online banking!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »I've never had a girl handle my money. Even when I was engaged we had our own bills and separate accounts. I have let my wife handle all the bills for the last 9 years. We started out dividing the bills up and paying from our respective accounts but she drove me nuts about it. Every 2-3 days; did this or that get paid? I couldn't get her to embrace technology and just look it up on the banks website. I finally said enough and just gave her the paychecks. It's so much easier this way.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

we've been hearing a lot of rumors as to what the amt will be this year. I hope it's at least $2K each. we could really use it. We're still waiting on our stimulus check! LOL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »I've never had a girl handle my money. Even when I was engaged we had our own bills and separate accounts. There's nothing wrong with combining assets. Only a fool would marry somebody they don't trust. Just don't let that trust be blind. Make sure you know where the money is going. There's nothing worse than being burned by somebody you trust. I learned that the hard way. I'm not bitter or opposed to marriage. I hope to do it again some day. Let's just say that I will make myself more aware next time.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Whelan

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by Whelan »

Oh it had nothing to do with trust. I'm glad it never happened cause we never got married.I would have no problem if the future wife to be when she finally comes around and meets me wants to pay the bills, have at em. I've got no debt, very good credit, and money in my savings. I'm in a very good position currently. Just need the promotion/raise and I can get my own place.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT