Where to hide $100

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
PopeyeFAFL

Where to hide $100

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

On extreme rare occasion (twice in 10 or 12 years) I forgot my wallet, therefore my credit card, I don't have a cellphone, beside no one to call for help.So my question, to you, Vibe owner, where will you hide $100 in your Vibe, just in case, you make a fill-up and then realize you don't have your credit card?I want that place to be very secure, relatively easy to reach and most importantly, no dealer mechanics will ever find it out (so when needed, it will be there).Thanks in advance.
BlueCrush

Re: Where to hide $100 (PopeyeFAFL)

Post by BlueCrush »

IM'ed you.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

You can hide it in my wallet if you want. My vote goes for taking out the storage compartment to the left of the wheel and taping it to the back of it, then reinstall.... yank the bin out when you need the cash.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Around here the gas stations have signs saying they will not accept any bill higher than a twenty. Mabe they would take a fiofty if you were buying fifty dollars worth of gas but the reason might be they are afraid of counterfeits.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I could make a few suggestions, but would not want to make them public.I will state that I personally do not hide any money, or keys anywhere on or in my Vibe.As far as some stations that dont accept high billsMost cases it is not anti Counterfit.Its mostly theft deterant to theifs. No High bills they will go eleswhere or so they hope. Also they wouldnt want to change a $100 bill for some one only buying a couple gallons.
808 Vibes

Re: Where to hide $100 (ColonelPanic)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by ColonelPanic »You can hide it in my wallet if you want. My vote goes for taking out the storage compartment to the left of the wheel and taping it to the back of it, then reinstall.... yank the bin out when you need the cash.LOL...good one can't say I'd know what to do, because 1) I'm almost obsessive about making sure I have my wallet and phone if I'm going anywhere, and 2) I wish I had the 'problem' of having an extra $100 lying around that I could think of where to hide it.But then again, if you hid it from everybody, wouldn't you forget about it too eventually? I know I would LOL (out of sight, out of mind) I also agree it should be a smaller denomination, in case you do forget about it, it's not THAT big a deal. and I vote for gym sock in the glove compartment. Nobody's gonna even wanna go through the compartment if they see a gym sock LOL (they won't know it's clean...just use a ratty clean one LOL)
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
PopeyeFAFL

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

When I said $100, I didn't mean a $100 bill, 5 x $20 is fine.I always fill past the warning sign and then some, so with gas price (here in Quebec at $1.50 CDN/liter) it could reach $70.I'm pretty good at making sure, I got my wallet, but as mentioned it did happens that I forgot, and if I stop for gaz and find it out after, I will be really stuck, so hiding $80 to $100 could save me (gaz station might not accept personal check, even in "crisis situation", since teller don't own the station), maybe a debit/credit card with only $100 to $200 limit on it, hidden somewhere could do also).Thanks for your suggestion so far.I'm leaning toward, the rear access panel, near the hatch.
kunkstyle

Re: Where to hide $100 (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by kunkstyle »

I wouldn't bother hiding cash in the car for a once in 6 year occurence.. but if I were to, I'd go for taping it behind a panel. Rear handhole to replace the tail lights, or even the bottom of the spare tire tub. Also, why do $100? I realize that gas is pricey, but $100 in gas money laying around? Where do you drive that can't get you back to your wallet for $20? A road trip I could see, but I'm guessing the times you've left your wallet were when you were dashing out of the house.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

there are a lot of stations around here that wont activate the pump unless you pre-pay or use pay at the pump by first inserting your credit card.
PopeyeFAFL

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »there are a lot of stations around here that wont activate the pump unless you pre-pay or use pay at the pump by first inserting your credit card.In Québec, they are talking about it (they do it after 22h00 or 23h00, I forgot), due to the price of gas (an increase in stolen fill-up), but they have not done it yet.
PopeyeFAFL

Re: Where to hide $100 (kunkstyle)

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Quote, originally posted by kunkstyle »Also, why do $100? I realize that gas is pricey, but $100 in gas money laying around? Where do you drive that can't get you back to your wallet for $20? A road trip I could see, but I'm guessing the times you've left your wallet were when you were dashing out of the house.On a weekly basis, I'm often found 30 to 40 km from my house, so a taxi trip back and fourth, will be kind of costly (I suppose, I have not take a taxi in year) + the hassle + lost time + not making schedule, etc.So hiding 100$ is easier (I doubt I will ever forget about hiding it, but the car could be destroyed or stolen without being able to retrieve it, so long).
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by PopeyeFAFL »maybe a debit/credit card with only $100 to $200 limit on itThey do have cards like that-I've had customers, including little kids, pay with "gift cards" issued by Visa/MC. I think companies give them to employees too because I see most gift cards after Xmas. Works just like a credit card, but it says "GIFT CARD" where the name part should be embossed. Not sure where they get them though...maybe from banks?
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
kunkstyle

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by PopeyeFAFL »In Québec, they are talking about it (they do it after 22h00 or 23h00, I forgot), due to the price of gas (an increase in stolen fill-up), but they have not done it yet.BC just made it a provincial law - all hours. Total PITA for the consumer, not to mention not very safe. For the non pay at the pump stations, I've got to leave my credit card unattended with the 15 year old behind the counter? Thanks but no thanks.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
PopeyeFAFL

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »They do have cards like that-I've had customers, including little kids, pay with "gift cards" issued by Visa/MC. I think companies give them to employees too because I see most gift cards after Xmas. Works just like a credit card, but it says "GIFT CARD" where the name part should be embossed. Not sure where they get them though...maybe from banks? You just give me an idea, maybe hiding a gift card is a better idea (if a mechanics find it, and stool it, or if the car is stolen, it is not better).Now to you know if there is a time limit to claim that "gas station gift card" (I think, there is one, a this is why the merchants like them so much, not everybody end up retrieving goods that they have already paid).
PopeyeFAFL

Re: Where to hide $100 (kunkstyle)

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Quote, originally posted by kunkstyle »BC just made it a provincial law - all hours. Total PITA for the consumer, not to mention not very safe. For the non pay at the pump stations, I've got to leave my credit card unattended with the 15 year old behind the counter? Thanks but no thanks.Yes, I share your concern, with all those stolen identity, card fraud, etc. being away from your card for any length of time, is not ideal.Did you resort to paying cash?
Mattsky

Post by Mattsky »

Quote, originally posted by PopeyeFAFL »Now to you know if there is a time limit to claim that "gas station gift card" (I think, there is one, a this is why the merchants like them so much, not everybody end up retrieving goods that they have already paid). It depends on where you are. Some states like New Hampshire have laws against gift cards expiring.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I almost always hide some cash in the car somewhere, but I haven't ever hid money in the Vibe. Having a secret stash has saved my (removed) a few times. I used to just hide $20, I don't think I'd stash $100, maybe $40. I have thought about where would be a good place, nothing was all that obvious. I was looking around the interior of mine today, and found a great spot. yellow arrow in the attached picture shows money. Sorry the pic is not clear, my decent camera seems to have died and the cell phone camera is low quality.

Attached files
PopeyeFAFL

Re: Where to hide $100 (joatmon)

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Maybe in the gas tank, à la Easy Rider, LOL
NibCrom

Post by NibCrom »

This thread is about hiding drug money, isn't it? ISN'T IT?!
slvrvibes

Re: Where to hide $100 (NibCrom)

Post by slvrvibes »

Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »This thread is about hiding drug money, isn't it? ISN'T IT?! My thoughts exactly.
genvibe garage
Burns1210

Post by Burns1210 »

Why can't you just put it in the center console and when you drop off the car for maintenance, put it in your pocket?
2008~Auto~Platinum~Monsoon~Sport Package
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by PopeyeFAFL »On extreme rare occasion (twice in 10 or 12 years) I forgot my wallet, therefore my credit card, I don't have a cellphone, beside no one to call for help.So my question, to you, Vibe owner, where will you hide $100 in your Vibe, just in case, you make a fill-up and then realize you don't have your credit card?I want that place to be very secure, relatively easy to reach and most importantly, no dealer mechanics will ever find it out (so when needed, it will be there).Thanks in advance.Hide it in the rear by removing the plastic panel used to change the tail lamp bulbs. Done!
Whelan

Re: Where to hide $100 (ToolGuy)

Post by Whelan »

Asking on an open forum where to hid $100 in you car may not seem like the smartest of ideas, lol.If it was me, I would put it in a few places:1) Tape it in a small envelope on the backside of the compartment under the shifter.2) Under the cargo tray, under the spare tire tray in an envelope taped to the metal sheeting on the car somewhere under there. You'd have to remove the spare tire holder to get under there.Also, be sure it is in a place you won't forget about it. I hid some money in my Saturn in that exact spot taped under the carpeting in the trunk. When I cleaned it out one day before it was totalled I found $50!!!
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
98ex

Re: Where to hide $100 (Whelan)

Post by 98ex »

few ideas - all of these require zero tools for you to access1) get one of those hide a key things, go to back of Vibe, open compartment used to access tail lights bulbs, reach back and attach the item there2) Take off panel used for access to license plate bulbs, hide money there3) Not sure if your cargo area is like the trix, but you have your main area that stores your spare tire, and then right up against the seat is another storage area - hide there4) remove instrument cluster bezel, hide money by taping it somewhere there5) remove air vent bezel on passanger side(easier to remove than driver one) tape money there6) remove radio bezel and hide there7) under the hood, take fuse panel cover, place money in ziploc and tape to the underside, then reinstall8) remove A-pillar(held by clips) tape money thereI could go on and onNow if you had access to a simple screw driver at all times, I have many more possiblities
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by PopeyeFAFL »Maybe in the gas tank, à la Easy Rider, LOLgas at the sacred mountain enco was forty some cents a gallon. Nowadays, they'd throw away the money and take the gas

Attached files
808 Vibes

Re: Where to hide $100 (joatmon)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »gas at the sacred mountain enco was forty some cents a gallon. Nowadays, they'd throw away the money and take the gasHAHA!! True, but remember his money is Canadian-it might be worth more than ours LOL
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~