Strange phenomenon asphalt

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
PopeyeFAFL

Strange phenomenon asphalt

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

I got the same house since 20 years, the house is really 22 years old and so is the asphalt drive way.I was very surprised to see that my asphalt is lifting up (at the beginning , near the house foundation, but now right in the middle) literally bursting, what is underneath???, could you guess???... A mushroom!!!!! I never saw this, a large mushroom (3 to 4 inches in diameter, flat, round) is capable of lifting the slice of asphalt until it burst and crack, even in the middle of the drive way. Did anybody here, know anything about this??? (I'm not joking, by the way).Thanks in advance.P.S.: I don't know exactly what to do?, patch it locally, redo the drive way all together (what precaution should I take for this not to occur again?). I hope that the house foundation is an order of magnitude stronger to resist mushroom growth ?
keithvibe

Re: Strange phenomenon asphalt (PopeyeFAFL)

Post by keithvibe »

my guess would be that there isn't enough base material under the blacktop or there was a void that created a greenhouse effect . A local patch job should be fine.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
KNINE

Re: Strange phenomenon asphalt (keithvibe)

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »^^^^^what he said^^^^How can you tell us about something so cool without pics? Shame on you.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
kevera

Re: Strange phenomenon asphalt (K-NINE)

Post by kevera »

It might be a magic mushroom 3+ on the pics.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
CountryVibe

Post by CountryVibe »

It could be a tree root that found a soft spot in the ground.
2005 GTmoons & tunes, keyhole covers, SRI,2.5" borla catback exhaust, seatbelt beep deletedWagons Rule.......Sedans Drool
harryyiii

Post by harryyiii »

Asphalt driveways suck. You are at the end of life. When I move in 22 years ago, 2/3 of the houses on the block had asphalt, the rest concrete like mine. Most of the asphalt driveways have either been repaved or replaced with concrete. None of the concrete driveways have had any maintenance. No yearly coating, no sealing, nothing.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Time for a new driveway!
PopeyeFAFL

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Explain me briefly how to add pictures to this post, and I will add them.Do I need to download my photos to an external site (which one) and then Bracket URL Bracket ... Bracket slash URL bracket them?
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

best way is to make a photobucket or imageshack account to upload them too and paste the links in your reply.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by PopeyeFAFL »Explain me briefly how to add pictures to this post, and I will add them.Do I need to download my photos to an external site (which one) and then Bracket URL Bracket ... Bracket slash URL bracket them? Thats one way except its bracket IMG bracket Image Location bracket slash IMG bracketPhotobucket is a popular FREE image host.you can also directly attach a single photo per post thats under 2MB in size.
PopeyeFAFL

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Ok, I'm trying a photo insertion.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

pretty insane
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

WOW... yea.. very nicely done on attaching the photo.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I saw a show about those on TV. You have to be careful with fungi like the one in the picture, that is the zygote stage, and from the looks of it, in about 19 days it will have completed it's metamorphosis and become mobile and search for blood. . Don't go near that at night, or it will launch zombifying spores at you. oh wait, nevermind, that was a movie on the sci-fi channel.That's pretty wild, buried for 22 years, lying dormant, biding it's time, waiting ... How close is it to the edge of the asphalt?You'll have to patch it and seal it to keep the damage from spreading, so when you dig it up, see if CountryVibe is right and there's a tree root or something under there.Maybe there was already a crack you hadn't noticed that allowed the mushroom to get a start
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

i had a very tiny mushroom thing growing in my bathroom :D
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
keithvibe

Re: (lowincash)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash »i had a very tiny mushroom thing growing in my bathroom :Dthats just NASTY... ever think about cleaning?HAHAHA
moongdss

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by moongdss »

^^^ XD ^^^I almost sprayed my monitor!
Pandora the 2006 Pontiac Salsa Vibe, 17"wheelsMods: tint, "Pandora" windshield decal, front badge skull overlay, rainguards, hoodguard, Projectorz headlite covers, black painted grills, FIAMM dual-tone horns, black grafxwerks overlays, redouts, Genvibe decals, splashguards, scangaugeII, 12v console outlet, DRL interrupt and I turned off that @#$% seat-belt beep! upcoming: red interior LEDs
Herb

Post by Herb »

That's quite incredible. I wonder what type of mushroom it is
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

What the heck! I hate mushrooms!
Sublimewind

Re: (lowincash)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash »i had a very tiny mushroom thing growing in my bathroom :DTime to clean the toilet... geeze...
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

The thing about ashfalt is that it stays pliable and moreso when it's hot out... It might not seem like it, but if you grabbed some of it that moment, it was prolly mushy or mushroomy... lol...
ramenboy...

Re: (joatmon)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I saw a show about those on TV. You have to be careful with fungi like the one in the picture, that is the zygote stage, and from the looks of it, in about 19 days it will have completed it's metamorphosis and become mobile and search for blood....hahahahahahahahahaai think that is Agaricus vibeous bisporus. those things actually eat pontiac vibes and mate with matrixes. be careful.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

DO NOT feed it after midnight!

Attached files
ramenboy...

Re: Strange phenomenon asphalt (ToolGuy)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »DO NOT feed it after midnight! hahahahahahahaQuote, originally posted by moongdss »^^^ XD ^^^I almost sprayed my monitor!hahahahahaa
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four
ColonelPanic

Re: Strange phenomenon asphalt

Post by ColonelPanic »

Holy crap that's one huge mushroom! I always figured them being soft, mushy things - to think that one is tough enough to break through asphalt... I'm with the others, be afraid... be very afraid!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

Likely, you got more going on than meets the eye here. If it's hot, the asphalt gets pliable, but all indications are that you are going to need a good patch. I'd look around on google to see what others are saying about plant life busting through. It's bound to happen, but if it's the same as with other asphalt bases I've seen, it is worth further investigation.I'm assuming that, given it's 22 yrs, it's not the recycled/rubberized asphalt. That's what I'm used to dealing with so I can't say for sure.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
sloth

Re:

Post by sloth »

I would think you had some kind of winter damage, frost cracking the asphalt. Then this mushroom took advantage of the damage and made it worse.
PopeyeFAFL

Re: Re: (sloth)

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

Quote »I would think you had some kind of winter damage, frost cracking the asphalt. Then this mushroom took advantage of the damage and made it worse.In Quebec, last winter was a record year for the amount of snow on the ground, but it was not very cold (in fact, that snow partially melted twice during that winter, people were afraid for their roof).That portion of my driveway was covered by 8 to 10 foot of snow for almost the full winter (I empty it, as soon as I could, at spring).So, I'm not sure what caused this (except for old and probably not done properly driveway (didn't dig thick enough, with perhaps not the the right size gravel, etc.)).I will try to patch it up, for now (if people can advice me, how, I will appreciated that), if it does not last, or other patch start, then redo the driveway will be the solution.Thanks in advance.
chrisk14

Post by chrisk14 »

Wow, and I thought I was the only one Here is what I had erupting in my driveway through 2 or more inches of asphalt. The mushroom (or alien artifact) never actually erupted out of the top. This went from no lump to this in about 2 weeks.I've removed the offending lump (now awaiting UFO certification) and patched the hole.

Attached files
808 Vibes

Re: Strange phenomenon asphalt (ToolGuy)

Post by 808 Vibes »

YIKES! Good job on the pic, BTW!Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »DO NOT feed it after midnight! and don't get that thing wet!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
ramenboy...

Re: Strange phenomenon asphalt (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »...and don't get that thing wet!hahahahathe last thing he wants is a scary wet okole
de-badged o4 vibe
o2 triumph speed four