I'm glad I'm not in school anymore

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Whelan

I'm glad I'm not in school anymore

Post by Whelan »

Just saw on foxnews.com that there is some shooting goin on at an Illinois University. Jesus god people! It seems that there is one every week now, total craziness. From the two high school shootings last week and the week before I think it was, and then the other college ones that took place, it's gettin nuts. It also seems to be mostly Midwestern and Southern schools. So if you wanna be safe, send your kids up my way to New England.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
redlava

Re: I'm glad I'm not in school anymore (Whelan)

Post by redlava »

I don't know what the heck is wrong with people now a days. Why can't the just go someplace and quietly commit suicide like they used to. Why do they find it necessary to take their frustrations out on people who don't have anything to do with their problems. Hopefully somebody can figure this out sooner or later.
silver_vibe

Post by silver_vibe »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »...It also seems to be mostly Midwestern and Southern schools...We get our share here in California too http://www.kfwb.com/Attempted-...58081
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/....htmlincase anyone wants to read about it
Mavrik

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by Mavrik »

School shootings used to shock me... not any more. guess thats a bad thing.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

It was the year mark for the Trolley Square shootings in Utah this week. Quote, originally posted by redlava »Why can't the just go someplace and quietly commit suicide like they used to. Why do they find it necessary to take their frustrations out on people who don't have anything to do with their problems.+1000000000000000000 to that! Stay at home to kill yourself. Don't take others down with you. It's hard enough on the family of the one who commits suicide. Why make it hard for other families?
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

my roommate told me about this earlier, its ridiculous.a few months ago/last semester we had a few messages written on walls causing the campus to lock down. the first one happened on a friday and they had most of campus evacuate. glad i'm living off campus and a few miles away
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

ugh, im sick of it too.its cool though, because of VT my school created an emergency text message system. Last time we had nasty weather i got a text message from the system about tornado warnings and since i dont have tv, i never would have known. It was pretty sweet.
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

we got an emergency message system too. not only for text messages but it will send a message to you email too. how retarded is that, i have to sign up for a service to recieve an email shortly after it happens instead of several hours later!!!I was reading the article about the shooting on yahoo and the guy was an alumni!!! he wasn't even a current student, (removed) would you go back to the school to kill people you dont know and yourself?
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

oh we get emails automatically through the schools email system. We got one not too long after VT from the prez herself.
Sublimewind

Re: I'm glad I'm not in school anymore (redlava)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by redlava »I don't know what the heck is wrong with people now a days. Why can't the just go someplace and quietly commit suicide like they used to. Why do they find it necessary to take their frustrations out on people who don't have anything to do with their problems. Hopefully somebody can figure this out sooner or later.Maybe not in this case, but many of the people ARE the problem... Like Columbine, It wouldn't/didn't surprise me one bit, they went in there, going after the bullies that tormented them most of their lives (which is what they were doing from what I understand) Kids are cruel....period... And it's only gotten worse... I remember when I was a kid and we would bring guns in for show-and-tell... As long as the office knew before hand, we didn't even have to give them up... placed in a locker, unloaded... good... It's all to easy these days for people to be desensitized by many of the movies and games.... GTA anyone..
breezd

Post by breezd »

This shooting hits me close to home. NIU is not too far away from me, and I also have some friends that go there. It really scares me... what if this had happened at my college a year ago when I was still attending?
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
Mavrik

Re: I'm glad I'm not in school anymore (Sublimewind)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Maybe not in this case, but many of the people ARE the problem... Like Columbine, It wouldn't/didn't surprise me one bit, they went in there, going after the bullies that tormented them most of their lives (which is what they were doing from what I understand) Kids are cruel....period... And it's only gotten worse... I remember when I was a kid and we would bring guns in for show-and-tell... As long as the office knew before hand, we didn't even have to give them up... placed in a locker, unloaded... good... It's all to easy these days for people to be desensitized by many of the movies and games.... GTA anyone.. Exactly. people are cruel, if your not like them, they pick on you. School is nothing but a big popularity contest with some education on the side. This has been going on for a long time, only now people are fighting back with gun violence. Of course everyone starts saying "we had no idea this was going on, why us?" etc. sure not every victim is guilty of picking on the shooter.. But when you get pushed far enough, you don't care who you hurt, just as long as someone feels the same pain you did.I was never one of the popular kids in school. I fell into the norm/skid/geek group lol. Never got picked on cause I'd always fight back and they ended up getting more hurt then it was worth.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Sublimewind

Re: I'm glad I'm not in school anymore (Mavrik)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »Exactly. people are cruel, if your not like them, they pick on you. School is nothing but a big popularity contest with some education on the side. This has been going on for a long time, only now people are fighting back with gun violence. Of course everyone starts saying "we had no idea this was going on, why us?" etc. sure not every victim is guilty of picking on the shooter.. But when you get pushed far enough, you don't care who you hurt, just as long as someone feels the same pain you did.I was never one of the popular kids in school. I fell into the norm/skid/geek group lol. Never got picked on cause I'd always fight back and they ended up getting more hurt then it was worth.Yeah, I was the "skate-geek" in school... I dnd't get it that bad, because I STAYED under the radar most of the time, and I was good at dodgeball, but, I knew PLENTY that could have easily been pushed far enough to do something like this, and this was 16yrs ago now (my god, i'm gettin old)... It's easy to play GTA and kill hundreds if not thousands, full on head poping and think nothing of it, cause it's a "game" but, then what happens when you get pushed over the edge?? You've already done enough violence in the "game" world to be "used" to it... so WHY not.... it's sad and sick... It's also one of the reasons i'm not having children...
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

It is true that most of these kids were either outcasts or loaners or picked on repeated by bullies and what not. Just goes to show you that you should be nice to everyone.On the other hand if i was a kid who kinda bullied people around, I would be scared to do so in today's world cause who knows which kid is gonna walk in and blast me away while I'm in Match class snoozing in the back of the room. Bullies should be more scared than anyone.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

I've played GTA 3-5 for more hours then I can recount and can say even after playing that... I would never in any way feel the need to take a life.Unless you were attempting to take mine.
Sublimewind

Re: I'm glad I'm not in school anymore (Mavrik)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »I've played GTA 3-5 for more hours then I can recount and can say even after playing that... I would never in any way feel the need to take a life.Unless you were attempting to take mine.Yes, I'm the same, BUT, if I was being constantly bullied, to the point of having thoughts of doing something so very WRONG, It would be as funny as the game to me... Just remember, these people are crying out for something, for soooo long, and nobody hears this, it becomes like a sickness (I've been down some dark roads, I can tell you that, times haven't always been good for me)
Vivid_Art

Post by Vivid_Art »

Gun control! Now thats one thing we desperately need, not a bunch of Security guards and metal detectors at schools. That is simply unrealistic considering how many SEPARATE buildings college campuses have, we just need less guns. My friends Ex died in that ****ing shooting, I hung out with her and its weird to think she's dead. My GF goes to U of I Champaign where this crazy F*** went to school to and apparently lived near him. This is a crazy f'ed up world we live in.
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

This is one of thoes things that you never that will never happen close to home. My heart and prayers go to their families.Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

I would suggest move to Canada lol.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

agreed..dont get me wrong, stuff like that happens up here too..but not every month like the states it seems
Mavrik

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by WaveAction »agreed..dont get me wrong, stuff like that happens up here too..but not every month like the states it seemsbut we got gun control in canada.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

so you "say" lol..look at toronto, i swear every week atleast 2 ppl die from guns, or getting stabbed but thats one reason why i love canada, is gun control and other things such as free health care and stuff that the states dont get, even though i'd love to move to the states somewhere
Sublimewind

Re: (Vivid_Art)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Vivid_Art »Gun control! Now thats one thing we desperately need, not a bunch of Security guards and metal detectors at schools. That is simply unrealistic considering how many SEPARATE buildings college campuses have, we just need less guns. My friends Ex died in that ****ing shooting, I hung out with her and its weird to think she's dead. My GF goes to U of I Champaign where this crazy F*** went to school to and apparently lived near him. This is a crazy f'ed up world we live in. I hear ya on gun control, but where "I" live, "gun control" is how big of deer you get in the fall.... It just wouldn't work.... Maybe eliminating hand guns, but you would start a civil war here taking hunters guns... My condolences to you, losing a friend and all...
mjbsb69

Post by mjbsb69 »

Sometimes I think if the media wouldn't show the shock and awe side of those stories and only briefly mention a 'shooting' event, that might help reduce the sensationalism of it all.My police buddy says....the media should show the dead shooter laying on the ground twitching, bleeding and leaking body fluids as a deterrant......."Mass Shooting is NOT glamourous!"
futureviber

Post by futureviber »

I was talking to a woman that works in an inter city school in Cincinnati, OH. She said that (at that time) all the school shootings were suburban schools where the parents for the most part have money and the kids are brought up in good homes. They go in to shoot everyone, not just the people that were mean to them, but everyone. She said at her inner city school if a kid is mad at someone, they go for that one person, not everyone between them. If a kid gets upset with a teacher then the teacher might not go in the next day or so until the kid has time to cool down.This was probably 2 years ago, but it was an interesting conversation.