I feel like Global Warming is winning

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Whelan

I feel like Global Warming is winning

Post by Whelan »

Not that I plan to leave the state. But the last two years we have seen no snow that would amount to anything mentionable. Maybe one small storm last year with like 6-8 inches. But I remember as a kid having white stuff covering the ground from almost just after Turkey day till practically March. Heck I used to go for sledding parties on my birthday (btw its next Saturday). As I look out my office window I see partly cloudy and an almost 50 degree day.Is it El Nino, La Nina or just global warming running its course turning CT into an almost Virginia styled climate. I realize when I lived in Ohio for a few years we got blizzards from lake effect snow thatw ould pile 2 feet like it was nothing. Some parts of northern CT get some snow, but along the coastline we get rain, if even. Everything seems just so flukey.For instance, the temps do not work as they used to with weather. I mean it used to be 22-30 out and it would snow. But the ground has been so warm it doesn't stick. Or the air is too dry and its 20 out so we get sleet. It seems nothing is measuring up or coordinating to make a good snowfall happen.Not to mention our forecasters are some of the worst in the nation. We were supposed to get 3-6inches a few weeks back in January along the coast with 8-12 inland. Well we got some rain and up north got about 2". Talk about a dud. I guess global warming is a reality. But I will say we get dang cold temps for CT, the temp will go to the negatives and everything turns to solid ice, even the shoreline from the beach can freeze up the salt water. But not this year, we had a two week dip into the teens and negs. But today like I said, it's 50 out and yet Sunday it's supposed to go down to 20 then to 6? I really wish it would make up its mind, Spring early or more cold. Pick one and be done with it.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
lovemyraffe

Re: I feel like Global Warming is winning (Whelan)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I agree. I remember playing snow football on Turkey day when I was a kid. One year we had so much snow here we had to shovel it off the roofs of the houses. Utah hasn't had the "greatest snow on earth" for 10 years or so. The ski resorts here used to open just after Halloween. This year alot of them weren't open for Thanksgiving.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Agree 100%! When the snow and winter arrived, it stayed for awhile, you did not see the ground for months! Now, it comes and goes.States that never really got any suddenly are.We just got dumped on last night. Crazy!
Mavrik

Re: I feel like Global Warming is winning (lovemyraffe)

Post by Mavrik »

Move to alaska to rethink that... its been -10 every morning for the past week. sure isn't warming here. haven't seen grass since november.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

I think it's more of a national drought thing than global warming (probably biased though). In general, precipitation has decreased over the last decade.Before you blame this on global warming, higher temperatures cause increased evaporation, which would in theory result in high humidity and more saturation (although admittedly more violent and sudden).These are just my thoughts.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
futureviber

Post by futureviber »

I remember having drifts so big we made tunnels in them or ramps off of them. We have a deck on the back of our house and its about 3-4 feet off the ground with no rails - one year we had a drift 5 feet tall on the deck that went all the way off the deck and ramped down on to the ground. we had a great time with snow tubeing on that one. But the last 2-3 years havn't been much of anything. It has been storming - rain, lightening & thunder the last 2 nights. it froze this morning... but still i dont remember getting thunder storms in February before.I think southern Indiana had Tornados a few nights ago. Last week we were supposed to get 6-8 inches... i dont think we even got one. My boyfriends school (where he teaches)was closed because they didnt have elctricity, my brothers school was closed i think because of ice. It was thick adn solid in the morning, but by that afternoon it had melted into slush.
Whelan

Re: (futureviber)

Post by Whelan »

I wouldnt say its humid out here. The air is very very dry. Although the last two days prior we had rain on and off and loads of fog. I guess I will wait for the ice cap to melt a bit so I can get some more snow.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Hmmm, from the weather here in CO, I would say global warming is losing. It hasn't snowed this much in over 10 years! I would gladly give you guys back this snow, but I want a green lawn this year.
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
piecuch1

Re: I feel like Global Warming is winning (NUBlackshirts)

Post by piecuch1 »

And it is supposed to be almost 60 this Saturday here in the Denver area. So I can finally wash all the road grime off the cars. Maybe even take the bike out.
2004 Pontiac Vibe GT2006.5 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X42004 Honda Shadow Sabre
Mavrik

Re: I feel like Global Warming is winning (piecuch1)

Post by Mavrik »

Thinking back to the winters we used to have in Ontario back in the 80s... I remember huge drifts we'd build forts in and such. I don't think Ontario has had that kinda winter since the 90s. At least not a big dumping that stayed all winter.Then again I was a kid back then and perspectives change as you grow up.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Whelan

Re: I feel like Global Warming is winning (Mavrik)

Post by Whelan »

Perspectives do change but I can look at photos of me as a wee one playing in mounds of snow, streets and yards covered, icicles on every house, etc. Now its just either cold and dry or rainy.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

we just had a huge snow storm, and supposed to get more snow this weekend, stupid lake effects..
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I say , bring it on. My January propane bill was $300.00. Ouch!
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

lol that is a big ouch, how come so high? we've had extreme cold and alot of snow up here but hardly had that much of a bill..maybe $150 if we're lucky
redlava

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by redlava »

That is pretty much what is going to happen with global warming. Most people think that it will just get hot. Really hot summers, and mild winters. That isn't true. Scientist are talking fractions of a degree or just a couple is enough to melt the ice caps, which add more fresh water to the oceans, which mess up the currents, which are the main driving force for weather patterns around the world. Get used to it people, it's only going to get worse every year.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Old 3000 sq. ft. farm house built in 1900 that doesn't have the best insulation in the world. My house is not "green". It costs me green.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

nice, i like the farm houses, they're cozy, with the right insulation that is lol
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

There is a show on discovery called 6 degrees and it literally tells you how each degree of difference will change so much. Funny to think that one degree makes so much difference. What I always found hard to believe is that it really does, just as an inch increase in ocean height can somehow bury cities?
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
NUBlackshirts

Re: I feel like Global Warming is winning (piecuch1)

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Quote, originally posted by piecuch1 »And it is supposed to be almost 60 this Saturday here in the Denver area. So I can finally wash all the road grime off the cars. Maybe even take the bike out. My poor Frosty GT has been looking pretty brown for awhile now. Would be nice to see it white again.Whelan: If you think about the sheer amount (gallons or liters) of water that extra one inch would be if stretched out over the entire ocean, it's not so hard to imagine coastal flooding as a result.
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

It is suppose to be -15°F to -20°F actual temp and -35°F to -45°F with windchill on Saturday night. No global warming goin' on here in Minne"snow"ta.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by NUBlackshirts »Whelan: If you think about the sheer amount (gallons or liters) of water that extra one inch would be if stretched out over the entire ocean, it's not so hard to imagine coastal flooding as a result. I'm going to watch my property value increase when it becomes ocean front property. I think I'll start on the fishing pier this weekend.
piecuch1

Re: I feel like Global Warming is winning (K-NINE)

Post by piecuch1 »

Same here in Colorado. If the big one hits California or the ice caps melt. Won't happen in my lifetime.
2004 Pontiac Vibe GT2006.5 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X42004 Honda Shadow Sabre