Does anyone on here use linux of some form?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
wyatt89

Does anyone on here use linux of some form?

Post by wyatt89 »

Just wondering if it is a good OS, ive been thinking of putting it on an old computer, something like Ubuntu or similar...please share your thoughts as I'm clueless about it...
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
millster

Re: Does anyone on here use linux of some form? (wyatt89)

Post by millster »

I run Ubuntu in Parallels on my Mac at work. Runs alongside a Windows XP VM as well. Personally, I love it but due to the nature of my work it's not practical to run it alone. My personal opinion is if you have the ability to install it, do it and learn it. It never hurts to try it out. IMHO, Ubuntu is a good distro to start with. Simple install, simple use.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
wyatt89

Re: Does anyone on here use linux of some form? (millster)

Post by wyatt89 »

What are the benifits over the typical windows or mac os? You said you can run them in parallel, is this for enhanced speed like the Sun systems where you can have more than one computer working on something at once?Im not that knowledgeable about computers so any insight is helpful essentially what is it good for and what kind of programs can you run on it?
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

linux offers a great appearance (better than vista) and doesn't require a high end pc where as vista does. linux is very stable and very secure but does have a bit of a leaning curve (kinda involves a bit of coding language knowledge). its not just point and click to install programs and you have to search a lil for what you want depending on how you use a pc. if you just use internet word and excel stuff linux is fine upon install. some examples of what programs you use now would help us to let you know what is available (maybe its just me tho cause i've only messed around with linux).
psiu

Post by psiu »

I use BrazilFW for my router/firewall/gateway (running on an old P3).I have Ubuntu 7.10 installed on my laptop and my wife's computer (dualbooting alongside XP).And I have Puppy on my keychain (USB flash drive).Ubuntu is pretty easy and you can add lots of programs easily with their Synaptic package manager.However like coldmm803 mentioned, depending on what it is you might have to fiddle a bit more and you'll be getting into the command line probably at that point. Ubuntu does have a large forum community though, so that can be helpful.It's good for being free, of course if you bought a computer with Windows already on it then that's not an issue, security is arguably better (and I would argue in favor of it) and you can do just about anything in it that you can do in Windows or MacOSX.Probably the main thing holding it back is driver support for hardware, and gaming compatibility (related to driver support since games stress a computer pretty heavily).
bull77

Post by bull77 »

I used to run a Linux firewall on an old pentium while I was in school. I've only used redhat but I'd say the same --- if you can install it, try it out for a bit and see if you like it.
ColonelPanic

Re: Does anyone on here use linux of some form? (wyatt89)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Heck yea, Linux is good. Running Kubuntu on mine - same good stuff as Ubuntu but with the KDE desktop which I've personally always preferred. Started out with Linux Mandrake, then to SuSE, OpenSuSE and ultimately Kubuntu.I've been using Linux for about 9 years now - it's been an amazing ride, seeing how the OS has matured. It was tricky back then to install, lots of hardware didn't work right, etc... Now, I can do an install in no time and everything works right then and there.I love the fact that I can still have a PC that is usable that I built back in 2002. Something tells me that wouldn't work in Vista. (removed)! Very efficient with old hardware, it gives new life to stuff you'd otherwise be forced to throw out.I have a Mac and a Linux box, love both. Before I got the Mac though, I was running strictly Linux. Didnt' really have anything I couldn't do back then - there are plenty of comparable apps that allow you to do the things you could in Windows. And if not, there's always emulation options you can try.LOTS of flexibility, stability, and security. Give Kubuntu or Ubuntu a try. Linux isn't too scary anymore, it's getting easier and easier to use all the time.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

linux and mac ftw They have tons more free opensource software that is actually useful. Here check this, its beryl installed in linux for the crazy gui effectshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3p8IBNNd88I had that running on my powerbook g4, sweetness. I would suggest ubuntu or kubuntu as a starter for getting into linux, they are super easy to install. Pretty much if you can install windows you can install ubuntu, its all through a gui. If you need to run some windows apps theres always WINE or just dual boot if you game. Linux is so sweet it runs on my ps3 I should try to get osx on there haaha.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i use linux on the ps3, does that count?
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

how exactly do you install an os so you can dual boot? it sounds cool, i have an old (removed) p2 that i am going to try putting it on.
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

from my experience, the safest way to dual boot is to use 2 separate hard drives and have only the one you want to install to plugged in when you install.since the pc is a p2 it may have issues installing because it may not recognise the specific hardware
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

older the better To dual boot on 1 hdd like i do. I partitioned the drive 1/2 and 1/2. the first partition has my windows as NTFS. I installed windows so its the first one (this will make it easier). then boot up a linux disk and install on the blank partition. if your newb to linux just to the gui install, or if you are knowing of stuff you can make the 3 partitions for ext2/3 and swap...i think i used xfs for my file system...mmmm fast.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Ok looking for some input here:I have an older Dell Inspiron laptop (about 5 years old) that was running XP pro. Now I want to scrub that drive and start over with linux. Could someone recommend a good Graphical User Interface version that I could start with. I pretty much will ust use this machine for internet and some basic office type stuff, maybe some photos or mp3 stuff.This machine is running a 1st gen Intel Celeron Processor and about a gig of Ram. Thanks
ColonelPanic

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I find Xubuntu to be a perfect candidate for lower end machines. It's essentially Ubuntu, but comes with the XFCE desktop which is less bulky than GNOME. You can still run any GNOME app you want, and if you need something KDE-based Synaptic will install the necessary libraries to make that work too. It's a solid OS that will do whatever basics you need right out of the box.I run this on both my eeePC netbook and my desktop as well.. Both are reeeeally far from high end machines and it works quite well. Give it a shot, just grab the ISO and burn it to disc - you can run it live off the CD to test it out.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

well also ubuntu is a little bloated as is; as it installs everything even if you dont need it. Something like gentoo where you pick each driver is more efficient. I do find ubuntu much easier though. so ya i agree xubuntu would be a good one, light, easy to install as its a full gui install with ubuntu. Once install is done you have all the basic tools installed, including openoffice.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

First post running Xubuntu 9.10 on my own Laptop, via Live CD!only one quick issue I need to figure out how to configure my internal wifi card
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

I dual boot Xubuntu and Windows XP. Xubuntu so far is the easiest distro I have dealt with.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

i think i got a lot to learn... i did finally install xubuntu on the old laptop and had an issue with the wirless and i think i got the driver installed and still didnt work.then i forgot my router had the mac filter turned on and this mac address wasnt in the list. disable the mac filter and presto all works fine.yea! for me!now to learn the logic of how this new OS works.
Tubaryan12

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Welcome to the dark side.I have a Xubuntu desktop on my second machine that looks exactly like windows all the way down to the start menu button. Kinda funny, but very easy for others in the house to use.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »i think i got a lot to learn... i did finally install xubuntu on the old laptop and had an issue with the wirless and i think i got the driver installed and still didnt work.then i forgot my router had the mac filter turned on and this mac address wasnt in the list. disable the mac filter and presto all works fine.yea! for me!now to learn the logic of how this new OS works.grats! i dual boot between ubuntu 9.1 and XP pro on my laptop, but pretty much use linux for everything on it. it's faster (i've cleaned it up, same as i do with windows) and i've even made a few custom themes for the login (it's annoying to change it in 9.1. do-able, but annoying) and desktop. desktop is win 7 only cause i'm too lazy to get games to work in 'nix.i love being able to install linux on a flash drive and just plug it into any computer. its nice having my own secure OS. i use it at school all the time. even though i have been using windows for 20 years, nix was such an easy pickup for me. i prefer GNU over KDE, but it's all preference.one (of many)thing i love about linux is the programs, easy to download and they install them selves. don't like it? quick removal, no needing to clean up a darn registry cause it's got a lot of lost hooks. if you ever need help, i'll try and help where i can. but usually a very short google search will net the results.
None. Vibe is gone.
zionzr2

Re: (tribalman)

Post by zionzr2 »

i actually do have a question:Is there a way to see in the available wireless networks list which ones are using security and which are not like it shows in Windows?
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

are you using a recent ubuntu or fedora? ubuntu should show you. in the top right menu just to the left of the clock there should be an icon showing if a network is available, either by plug or wireless. if you click it a list should drop down showing the available wireless networks. secure ones should have a padlock icon next to them. at least that's what i see. i can post pictures if you want.
None. Vibe is gone.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I dont see any pad locks to networks i know to be secure.I seem to be running NetworkManager Applet 0.7.996 on Xubuntu 9.10on an internal Broadcom wireless cardI do see a radio signal meter for several networks. but thats it
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Ok I just switched from Xubuntu to regular Ubuntu. I like it a but better.Plus books and online help a little easier to follow.I also Got a 8gig Thumbdrive for $25. and installed Ubuntu on that so now i have a portable Ubuntu Computer that fits on a keyring that only cost me $25. (cheapest computer I ever bought) 2 Thumbs UP