Drivers Ed

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Kevzaz

Drivers Ed

Post by Kevzaz »

Ya, So I am taking drivers ed since I am a new driver, and I want to be a good new driver. And to lower my insurance. Thoughts on drivers ed?
Whelan

Re: Drivers Ed (Kevzaz)

Post by Whelan »

10 and 2, or is it 11 and 3. Ugh who cares, in the Trix one hand is on 9pm, I cruise casually.My driver's ed class was through my HS so it was free, our drive car was a 1997 Ford Taurus (the oval style). Huge car for a first timer, but you get to know the road. Don't freak out when you get on the highway and he yells "Gun it!!!" my guy did. And don't stare at the pedal on the right that they have and wonder when they are going to use it.Nowadays they use smaller cars like Civic and Corollas to teach people in. But do yourself a favor, be patient and literally pay no attention to the people around you. They may get aggravate and pass you or honk, just keep paying attention to your teach and the road. It will pay off. It's how my Dad taught me standard, he got in the passenger side, threw me the keys and said, let's go. No parking lot, just drive. And if we were on a hill with people behind us, he would wave them by so I didn't roll back to them. Had his hand on the Ebrake just in case. After about 3-4 times of driving, I was allowed to go on my own. Ever since then I drove a standard till I got my Trix last year. Man I miss them.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

heck yes do it, cheaper insurance and you get to hone your driving skills. i cant believe ive actually heard my sister and another 16yr old tell me they are good drivers.. my sister then totals my car 3 days after getting her license and the other kid did too... uh to much confidence, cell phones and little experience. if my insurance had that id totally do it. there a rally school in NH..wonder if those classes would count :D
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I took drivers Ed way back when...It was actually a lot of fun.Our Instructor was the best! She would give the bird to morons around us.
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

by law we have to take drivers ed classes twice, 6 months apart in time. also, once we get our license, there is a midnight curfew, and if you get any ticket or in any accident that curfew is extended even longer
kunkstyle

Re: (ITcar)

Post by kunkstyle »

Even if there was no discount on insurance I'd say take it. You never know when your life (or others) are going to depend on it. I don't even think Drivers Ed should be optional. I've seen the way people in this city drive without it...
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Ah yes, drivers ed, took it in high school... We had this guy who was the football coach teach driver's ed. Fricken alcoholic as it comes, I kid you not he'd have you go by his house "to get something" and he'd go inside for a few minutes and come back out reeking of booze. Other times he'd give you a destination and then he'd take a nap. When he was awake he'd light up his pipe, or would sit there and eat sunflower seeds. If you smoked, he'd let you smoke in the car. I don't really think I got a whole lot out of it except a reduction in my insurance. But I feel everybody should take it and hopefully they have better instructors than I had.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

dang i thought drivers ed was manditory, i was thinking of the extra driving class that teaches you skills for stopping, swerving etc. also some drivers ed classes have much more driving in car training..my sister took those....didnt help her much
Merzbow

Post by Merzbow »

I joined this forum when I was 15 years old as well before I got my license! I think you are the new youngest one here as I am 20 now lol. Been here a while If you haven't taken your road test yet, The best advice I can give aside from the basic driving rules is that when the instructor tells you to turn at intersections, turn into the closest lane to you and THEN get over if you need to....like if you are turning right at a light. Turn right into the right lane of the road you're turning onto until traffic is clear and then get over into the left lane if you need to get over further....get what I'm saying? That will make the instructor happy.Thankful for those extra pedals on the passenger side though. I almost rear ended a Cadillac in Diver's Training haha..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
kunkstyle

Re: Drivers Ed (Merzbow)

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »dang i thought drivers ed was manditory, i was thinking of the extra driving class that teaches you skills for stopping, swerving etc. Those are good too. I've had to take 2 of those through work. Fun too!
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

safety is a required high school class here. my dad even had to take it and his eyesight was too bad to obtain a license.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Kamikaze

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by Kamikaze »

I lucked out, my dad was (and still is) a drivers Ed instructor.not to sound like a no it all, but I knew all the rules before I could even drive. Learned on a manual trans just like Whelan. it's a lot to learn right away, but if you can learn that, you can easily learn how to drive correctly.Just be patient, and follow the rules.. and remember it's not the speedy ones that win... it's getting there in one piece, and w/o any tickets... to save yourself 5 minutes in time to be in a rush... isn't worth the consequences.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Ya, I am really excited I am going in like an hour or so. The guy seems to be cool. Ill tell you guys how it went.
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

You should try this school... http://www.skipbarber.com/
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

ramenboy...

Re: Drivers Ed (VforVIBE)

Post by ramenboy... »

good suggestion v!or this onehttp://www.bondurant.commy cousin did a course and said it rocked.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The first, most important rule of driving is:Don't hit anythingalmost all the other rules just help you comply with that first one.
AZViking

Re: Drivers Ed (ramenboy...)

Post by AZViking »

We all cheated on our written tests in Driver's Ed. The instructor didn't collect our quizzes or final test to check. He'd have us pass them to the person next to us, and we all gave each other 100%. I took driver's ed when I was 13 (as long as we turned 14 by the end of that calendar year, we could take driver's ed that summer) At the time, our permits only restricted the time of day we could drive (could only be on the road from 6am to 8pm) Didn't need our parents in the car either.I'd been 'driving' since I was about 10 though. My mom would stop the car about 5 miles from my Grandparents' farm so I could practice on the gravel roads.Our Driver's Ed car was a brand new 1994 Buick Century on loan from the Dealer. I hear now the students have to pay $50 each to use the school's car.
2015 Kia Sorento 32,000 miles, 2010 Kia Sportage LX, 68,000 miles
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I'm not old enought yet to have Drivers "eD".... lol
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

i never did it, my version of drivers ed was my dad "showing" me how to drive a manual then i rode with him for like 20 min and he got out and let me go, i already knew how to drive and auto... i must say a manual is MUCH more fun and it makes me not want to sleep because i have shifting to do,if you want real drivers ed try to find your local scca autocross chapter, that will really make you learn how to control your car :D
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

well i took drivers ed..met a girl...things didnt work out...insurance wasnt lowered like many claim....learned lots of stuff easier...all can say is as long as you pay attention..the test is a piece of cake...the only worry you should have is the parallel parking...practice practice that...that what most people fail on......and if you get yo licenze by the time the gatlinburg meet comes...you better be there...lol
tribalman

Re: Drivers Ed (Whelan)

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »My driver's ed class was through my HS so it was free, our drive car was a 1997 Ford Taurus (the oval style). Huge car for a first timer, but you get to know the road. Don't freak out when you get on the highway and he yells "Gun it!!!" my guy did. And don't stare at the pedal on the right that they have and wonder when they are going to use it.in HS we had Drivers ED and then behind the wheel. both of them required. we also drove the 97 taurus. as you are driving, obey the rules of the road and use common sense. back senor year of HS, a friend picked me up at my house in his manual trans 85 mustang and drove to his house. we were playing xbox when there was a ring at the door. the girl across the street just got her license 2 hours ago and backed into his car. . my sister's friend by her senior year had to go to driving classes 3 times (after the required sophomore year one) because of the accidents she was in. she even backed into her house numerous times! just clam down, think, and follow the laws of the road. be safe and good luck
None. Vibe is gone.
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Well, I just got back from running around like an idiot. But I did do drivers ed. And the guy is great. He is really nice and knows his stuff. I got the highest score so far. So I am happy about that. I don't know when my next day is.Edit: Where can I find information about the gatlinburg meet?
joholste

Re: (Kevzaz)

Post by joholste »

Quote, originally posted by Kevzaz »Edit: Where can I find information about the gatlinburg meet?Hey hey, we may have another one...Here's the signup thread:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=30621and here's the planning thread:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=30655right now we don't know a whole lot about the meet we just kinda got confirmation on where it would be a little while ago.
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
Merzbow

Post by Merzbow »

Congrats. I scored highest in my class too. Even on the final road test he said I got a perfect score, he hadn't seen in a long time lol...maybe you can do that too, just use common sense and pay attention when driving with your parents.When you do drive with your parents, even though they yell at you and make you feel like an idiot 95% of the time they are driving with you, all of their suggestions are very only meant to be constructive. You will get sooooo irritated with them: "you took that corner too wide and fast, you rolled through that stop sign blah blah blah" Just keep in the back of your mind that they have been driving longer and GENERALLY know what they are talking about On the road you can definitely tell which drivers put themselves through driver's training and didn't pay attention to any suggestions BTW you should definitely go to the meet in July and your parents may not let you go so talk to them about it now to give them fair warning The more the merrier
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
ITcar

Re: (Merzbow)

Post by ITcar »

haha, i lost one point for coasting. stupid imo, but it still to this day drives my mom nuts. but hey, why be in a gear if you dont need to be??
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Merzbow, you met my parents? Lol... I really want to go. But I will only have my junior liscense and I can't leave state with it. At least thats what I think. But if I can leave state, see you there.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Strait from the PA DMV.LEARNER’S PERMITAfter successfully completing a physical examination, vision screening and knowledge test,young drivers may begin behind-the-wheel practice. Basic driving skills and safe habits aredeveloped under adult-supervised conditions. Requirements under the law include:• Six months of learning: A six-month skill-building period to practice and gainexperience is required before a young driver may take the road test for a juniorlicense.• Supervising adult for permit holder must be at least 21: An experienced, licenseddriver aged 21 or older must accompany the young driver at all times.• 50 hours of adult-supervised skill building: A parent or guardian must certify (Parentor Guardian Certification Form (DL-180C)) that the young driver’s six months of skillbuilding included at least 50 hours of practical, adult-supervised driving experience.• Nighttime driving restriction begins at 11 p.m.: The young driver may not be behindthe wheel between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. Young drivers may travel foremployment and for volunteer or charitable service during these hours, but they mustcarry proper documentation.• Passenger limitation: The number of passengers must not exceed the number of seatbelts in the vehicle. This applies to all drivers under age 18.• Learner’s permit valid for one year: The learner’s permit will be valid for one year withextensions for those requiring more practice time.• Required sanctions for high-risk drivers under age 18: A young driver’s permit will besuspended for 90 days if he or she accumulates six or more points or is convicted ofa single high-speed violation (driving 26 miles per hour or more over the posted speedlimit).JUNIOR LICENSEYoung drivers who graduate to a junior license have satisfactorily completed all learner’spermit requirements, including the road test, but the following restrictions still apply:• Required sanctions for high-risk drivers under age 18: A young driver’s junior licensewill be suspended for 90 days if he or she accumulates six or more points or isconvicted of a single high-speed violation (driving 26 miles per hour or more over theposted speed limit).• Nighttime driving restriction begins at 11 p.m.: Even with a junior license, a youngdriver may not be behind the wheel between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m.Exceptions for employment and volunteer or charitable service will apply, but youngdrivers must carry proper documentation regarding their need to travel.• Passenger limitation: The number of passengers must not exceed the number of seatbelts in the vehicle. This applies to all drivers under age 18.Way back when... HAHAHA.. I took drivers ed... and my instructor did the following to me..... It was winter time and there was snow still on the side roads, the instructor asked me what do I do when the car starts to slide in the snow. I reply steer slightly in to it to regain the forward movement, let off the gas till I feel the car stop sliding and correct the car to keep it from hitting anything.He said ok... turn here... which was down a snow covered side road... tells me to speed up a bit... which I do then with out telling me he YANKS on the emergency brake, Fortunatly I did not hit anything, from his bone head move..... After I get the car stopped I turned to him and said... do that one more time while I am driving and I will have your (removed) handed to you, you will be fired and lose your teaching licence... his responce to that was I was testing you to see if you would do what you said you would do. I told my father that and he called the school, yes is was my drivers ed teacher in Highschool, and had the teacher fired.The way my dad tested my driving was to have me pull out of their driveway, stop, proceded to back up and around the entire development which is one big circle and over two miles around, then back up the driveway in to the garage. He then said if you can back up you can drive forward.. HAHAHAMy brother *RIP* tought me how to drive standard, on a 20%grade... HAHA he said roll this truck backward and inch and I will kick your _____! Nothing like getting a beating from your older brother to inspire you. He laughed after I got the truck going and said, hell i couldn't even do that on my first try, like you just did...
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Sooo. I CAN drive out of state, just not between the hours of 11 and 5?
tribalman

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »Strait from the PA DMV.• Nighttime driving restriction begins at 11 p.m.: The young driver may not be behindthe wheel between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. Young drivers may travel foremployment and for volunteer or charitable service during these hours, but they mustcarry proper documentation.at least this law is better than one we have in illinois. if you are underage(under 18) and are out driving past curfew not only can you get in trouble for curfew, but your license is also invalid so you are driving without a license and get heavily fined. and then there the passenger limits. if you are a permit driver, only family can be in the car. if you just got your license until 6months after you can't have any friends in the car. and then until 18th b-day you can only have one friend.good thing this happened after i hit my 19th b-day. i was always out till around curfew and i drove a dodge caravan usually filled
None. Vibe is gone.
Merzbow

Post by Merzbow »

(removed), I didn't know you guys had those kind of restrictions there! When I got my license I hit the streets fresh and clean I'm glad I live here lol.