Yeah, new neighbor is a Psycho!

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Lancer

Yeah, new neighbor is a Psycho!

Post by Lancer »

Sorry this is long!I live next to a small apartment building that has 4, single bedroom apts. There's always people moving in and out of there so I didn't think much when I noticed that the upstairs apt over-looking my drive way had a new tenant. I live in a fairly quiet neighborhood, mostly elderly folks and a couple doctors. I also live almost on the corner of a buisy main street. Some of the older people have odd habits (hobbies), like mowing and blowing their lawn at 6 am, blowing an air horn to scare the blackbirds away at 5am, or walking thier yippy dogs early in the morning. But apparently for this new guy, the thing that makes him go absolutly berserk is me starting my car in my garage and letting it warm up for 2-5 minutes while I make my lunch and say good by to my wife.Tuesday was garbage day so I started my car and rolled my garbage can to the curb (6:15am). While I was getting it out of the garage I hear someone trying to open a window really forcibly. I turn around and I see the 'new guy' hanging out the window shaking his fist at me, pointing to my car and cussing at me about how much he thinks I'm an a** hole and and to fix my Gd POS car, and some other words that are not suitable for normal conversation. I havent been talked to that way since Marine Corps boot camp! Made me feel almost nostalgic! I just kept rolling down my drivway then flipped him off as I'm walking, then told him to *-off. My land lord was also out with me wiping off his windshield of morning dew. I just shrugged my shoulders at him. He asked what was that was all about? I told him I guess he's not a morning person.Wednsday I had jury duty ( ) so I got to sleep in a little.This morning I do my regular routine and start the car and say good by. Didn't have to make lunch cause I didn't get to eat it Tuesday. So my car wasn't running more than 2 minutes. I backed out and stopped my my wifes car at the end of the driveway to get soda and I hear 'new guy' start yelling at me again. "You know, your really an *-hole and a punk. One of these days I'm gonna come down and kick your *s*." I told him to put some pants on and bring it. I'm right here and ready. "Oh, (stutter) I will!" I told him "You don't know about me, do you. I shook my head and said whatever man. Got back into my car and reved the car a little and went to work. Laughing at this puny guy that want's to kick my (removed). I'm unfortunatly used to people talking smack to me. 8 years of Marines, bouncer/security for a few bars and a resort. But this has been my home for the almost 4 years. Where my family lives, my 2 young girls play just underneath his bedroom window. (driveway is only about 12 ft from his building.) This is too personal for some crackhead to be making threats on me. I'd like nothing more than to beat him into siezures. I'm 'almost' hoping he does something stupid like; say anything to my kids or wife, or take one step on my driveway.If it happens again, I'm calling the cops and talking to his land lord about getting him removed. Unless he does do something stupid.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
keithvibe

Re: Yeah, new neighbor is a Psycho! (Lancer)

Post by keithvibe »

it takes all kinds... don't be shocked if you find your car vandilized one morning from this igget... Hope it doesn't happen but I know for a fact when my cars have been modded they become targets for iggest from the great beyond LOL
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

I know exactly how you feel, but as bad as he needs a beating, it will only bring more trouble. Your family is too important to put at risk. I would file a complaint against him this weekend for the threats he is making. I'm old school like you and spent a few years in the Army. my gut almost always says " kick his ***, but my head says it's not worth going to jail or being sued. I would file a complaint with the Police and give his landlord a copy of it. It couldn't hurt to record him screaming him at you, might be just what the landlord needs to evict him.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

congrats. for handling it like a mature adult. I'd would have reved it up a bit more and looked at him and say "excuse me did you want something other than to verbally abuse me in that manner? "
Lancer

Re: Yeah, new neighbor is a Psycho! (nygiantzz1)

Post by Lancer »

That's a great idea! Thanks for that!My car stays in a locked garage every night. But, yeah, it's been vandelised twice already. Just knuckle heads throwing food at it, 1 pumkin and 2 eggs. Throw in some cinnamin and I could have made some pie! Your right about getting him legally. That was my plan. But a guy can dream about putting foot to booty, right!
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
joholste

Post by joholste »

Yeah you can always dream. heck i would def. dream of it in your situation.
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

Maybe have your wife ready inside with the video camera to document his threats.Be careful, you just never know these days.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
Mavrik

Re: (jimincalif)

Post by Mavrik »

Yeah be careful... he might be psycho enough to be packing and shoot you.I'd try and get his threats on tape and go to the cops and landlord. Your a concerned citizen with children and he has no right to act in this way.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Yep, it would be best to get the law on your side asap.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
pacerman

Post by pacerman »

There obviously is another side to this story. Lets say I'm the guy in the window, first you could assume he has hyper sensitive hearing, many people do, including me, I can hear a mosquito fart at 25 feet.......I retired to a nice little village, on 2 1/2 acres, new house, basically in the forest, I did some reconnasince? of the hood before I bought, (barking dogs, road noise etc. There was a small track in the next lot to me , the kids used it for their 4 stroke dirt honda's, and maybe twice a month, something I could live with, as time passed the guy next door, bought a big diesel PU, tearing off the stock exhaust, putting on an aftermarket one that sounds like a POS, it sounds like a big old forklift.He also has two harleys, both of which I'm sure have no baffles. His wife owns a new mustang, her main goal in life is to make the 200 yards to the top of the hill in less than 3 seconds, every morning. Then the guy buys a Kawasaki KX 125 two stroke, next thing I see is him bringing in about 10 import beaters and then proceed over a couple of weeks, to have races on the motorcycle track, 100 feet from my house.one of the wrecks was a header- only GMC PU 4 wd, Thats when I called the cops........Needless to say we are not on speaking terms, the next step is the by-law cop........BTW he has been hauling all sorts of forklifts, some dead some not, he isn't smart enough to at least tape over the BU alarms or disconect them.....Also he just got an English Mastiff that barks for no reason when let out at 7 in the morning.So here I have worked hard 40 years, up every working day at 5AM, retired, and wanting to spend the rest of my days in peace and quiet and this is what I end up with.Stress kills people, what kind of stress do you think there is when ya got 10 cars racing aound a little track, or a KX 125 blasting around the corners??? So heres a suggestion from me, go knock on the guys door, leave your car running in the garage as normal, and just hear what he hears.....simple, maybe your cars idle reverbs through his walls, do you have a fart pipe on it, do you leave the stereo on, in the morning while its idling?? Lotsa scenarios, maybe you have to put yourself in his appartment for 5 minutes.and no I don't fire up an air horn, my only noise is the lawnmower, between 10am and 4PM once every two weeks, so no one is home unless on graveyard shift.Just my side of the story, I am him ...............I just read your sig..........I could be wrong, but I think that speaks volumes........
2005 Vibe...Abyss ...AWD53 Stude HT, 76 AMC Pacer, 91 Camry 4WD,318 John Deere, Strong GS-210 Electric Bike
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Keep a notebook and document every single thing that he says and does. So if anything does happen you will have a log of what led up to that point. What does your custom exhaust consist of?
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
CAN-AWD-VIBE

Post by CAN-AWD-VIBE »

I can see pacermans side of it but please please please dont go knocking on his door unless youre into step 2... kicking his (removed) cause thats what this phsyco is going to be ready for when you knock on his door at 6:15am.He hates that sucking noise our intakes make, we know its loud, we like it, but he HATES it.Just to be safe get the law on your side, record the verbal abuse and DO take that with you to your landlord and to the cops, and explain that its all about starting you car. Hopefully your 4 years of living there with no complaints (no complaints right Lancer ) will serve you well... but I doubt you will ever smooth things over with this guy. Maybe he does something worthy of getting the boot anyway, I just hope it's not you who has to pay the price for it.good luckkick his a** if he comes downstairs though.
CAN-AWD-VIBE03 Neptune AWDInjen CAI, Hotchkis springs, custom magnaflow exhaust w/4" tip, tint, window deflectors, stubby antenna, 3pc Mr. Grille, foglight conversion mod, Grafxwerks front & steering wheels overlays, Injen oil cap, strut tower brace, P225/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 17" ADR Sokudos
Lancer

Re: (pacerman)

Post by Lancer »

I agree with you that there is always two sides to a story. But in this case I disagree. I haven't done anything to this guy that would justify HIM making any kind of physical threat to me. I have never had any complant from any of my neighbors before about anything while living in this house.Yes my exhaust is still loud. The shop is still "trying to find the right muffler in stainless steel". No I'm not completly happy with it or them, but there's not much I can do about that right now with out going to another shop and mostly starting over testing differnt mufflers. Doing that would be stupid and more expensive. This shop gave me a warrenty and guarentee of satisfaction and I'm gonna use it until I get what I want from them. It's only really loud when you first start it. That first initial 'vroom'. Then it idles up to around 1400rpm for about a minute, then down to 1100rpm. It's a very low rumble. MUCH quieter than my Ninja. (there's an idea! ) After it's warmed up it sounds almost like the borla muffler used to but lower.Another thing that I thought of that might 'enhance' the sound is the fact that I start the car in the garage with the back pointed out. Then there's my house that runs along one side of the driveway. And the psycho's apt runs along the other side of my driveway. So ANY sound in the garage is funneld straight out to the street and right passed his window. Again, there's nothing that can be done about this and I'm NOT parking my car anywhere else but in the garage. I pay extra on my rent for it and I'm gonna use it! It's illeagal to park on the streets here in Appleton, too. Not that i ever would want to.All he has to do is close his window or do what everyone else does. Put an air conditioner in there. You can see the apt building in my sig. The brick building.
pacerman

Re: (Lancer)

Post by pacerman »

I wonder if the "older" neighbors, mowing the lawn @ 6AM , and airhorns@5AM, might be trying to say something. You will find as you get older, that different things tend to bother you. I was a kid once too, a set of Fentons on a 235 inline in a 40 chevy coupe were music to my ears , straight pipes on my Honda scrambler chopper, (they swept up to my shoulder height), theoretically I should be deaf in my right ear) and 26 different cars later in my life, all my vehicles have stock exhaust, and factory tunes. Actually, about 10 years ago in my 84 Lincoln lowrider coupe, I had an awesome (or so I thought) aftermarket sound system, listening to ACDC, Stones,Moody Blues, Trooper, Police.ummm guess I'm dating myself.....dunno what changed but I do have super sensitive hearing (in certain ranges) I'm not faulting you for what you have, looks like a nice ride, was just trying to give a different perspective. And to all those people I pissed off when I was a kid, I'm really sorry, even if they are all probably passed away......
2005 Vibe...Abyss ...AWD53 Stude HT, 76 AMC Pacer, 91 Camry 4WD,318 John Deere, Strong GS-210 Electric Bike
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

could the exhaust from a car idling for 5 minutes work it's way into his window every morning so that he ends up waking to the smell of fumes?just a thought. i'm with pacerman. we're all so stressed with our lives that it causes one guy to resort to yelling at you instead of politely asking you to stop and it has caused you to get just as angry and talk/think about getting into a fight.my grandfather always told me to first put myself in the other guy's shoes before i made any brash decisions.just a thought.
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
TraySeeLea

Post by TraySeeLea »

Well I'd rather have that then getting threatened by the guy nextdoor who has only been here 5 years oppose to my parents 27 years.....he told me he doesnt want a single blade of grass from our yard into his yard.....(removed). the grass is connected and is all the same...he is really a weirdo
Quote, originally posted by 4X4CHICHI »Oh the power of a pretty blonde...lol
prathman

Post by prathman »

I agree that it sounds like your neighbor is overreacting and also provoking an argument with his threats. But I also agree with pacerman that one should look for both sides of the story.You agree that the exhaust is significantly louder than normal and even louder than it should be for a modified system. Yet you choose to let it idle for up to five minutes before driving off - why? Most recommendations I've seen in the last 10 years or so have been to minimize the idling time on cold starts (e.g. http://www.time.com/time/natio....html) and let the engine warm up by driving gently for the first mile or so. That's to save fuel and also to reduce engine wear caused by the overly rich mxture used when idling on a cold start. If driving off more quickly after starting can also help minimize frictions with your neighbors that's just an additional bonus.While my current address is in Cal. where cold starts aren't much of an issue, I grew up in ND and never let the engine idle for more than a few seconds before driving off there either. The car we had at that time was sold after 16 years and over 250000 miles with no engine problems, so driving off quickly after starting doesn't seem to have done any harm.
vibe-04

Post by vibe-04 »

a) This guy could have been waaay more diplomatic and I'm sure you would be more sympathetic. But no, he "jumped" you verbally rather than say "hi there, I'm your new neighbor and I've got a problem..."b) He assumed that his approach would would actually accomplish something yet he didn't offer suggestions to that end. That ticks me off because to complain without exploring a solution is just to be part of the problem.So what to do? Put up with this crap for your family's sake or take a stand? Move? Well, you mention you are a former Marine. I suggest putting on your Marine cap and walk around the back yard naked constantly pumping shells in and out of a shot gun singing "I've been working on the railroad" in a monotone voice. That'll get his attention, quick All kidding aside, be the bigger man and approach this guy cause this could be the tip of the mental meltdown iceberg. Find out his bug and work out some alternative. If left to simmer, he could boil over and then your family is at greater risk. If this does get worse, document everything and I DO suggest inviting people over to demonstrate you have people who "have you back." It would be a non-violent intimidation approach.Above all, be careful and I hope this works out for youAndrew b)
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Just my 2 cents, do not take this the wrong way or a slam...When I put a cat back on my Corvette I purposely thought about my neighbors and the sound level. I went with Z06 Corvette Titanium exhausts, low tone at idle but when you stand on it they roar. I have a friend one street over from me and just moved in, with a 1970 Dodge Polara. His exhaust is way too loud, I can hear him start it up and drive away. He also recently told me his neighbors look at him when he starts it and drives. It is way too loud for a sub division and he now knows it. Not everyone is a car person and he is not gaining any votes in the sub. Another guy in my sub although I have not heard him this summer maybe he moved but at any rate he has a very, very, loud 6-speed Corvette like mine and exhaust. His is so loud I can hear him in town as he shifts through the gears! At idle it is quiet but as soon as you give it gas it is loud. My point is, yeah the guy may have over reacted and possibly should come down one day and talk to you but he is annoyed by it and chose to handle it that way. Right or wrong... He also is probably the first to express it and others may be bothered by it too. Letting a car idle to warm up is frankly a waste of fuel and not needed. If you really are concerned get an engine block heater or oil heater and just plug it in at night. Then unplug and drive away in the morns. You can even put it on a timer so it kicks on 3 hours or so before you drive. If he calls the cops on you I think you will lose. The law I am sure will state you do not have a street legal exhaust or at least legal sounding exhaust. And the law may equate your exhaust to running a chain saw or power equipment before 8:00 or what ever the noise law states. If I were you, find out what the noise law is in your area. I would also put more pressure on your exhaust place to find a muffler for you ASAP. Many companies make SS exhausts or find a place that will custome make one, should not be that hard. Again no flame, just MO.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The new neighbor certainly hasn't handled the situation well. Be the peacemaker, make an effort to talk to the guy. Right know you only know your side.Guy might have a sick wife. Or perhaps had been up all night with a baby that just got to sleep. (that will make people be psycho) Maybe he just got to sleep after getting home from doing shift work.I agree, get your exhaust quieted down, and/or stop that useless idling, or I might lean out my window and yell rude things at you too.

Attached files failure.wav (101.6 KB) 
Whelan

Re: Yeah, new neighbor is a Psycho! (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by Whelan »

Me and my friend have to push his 67 Camaro SS out of the garage to take it for night rides. The exhaust makes his house shake He also has an LT1 motor in it with about 500hp at the crank and the exhaust he put on it, crap I forget the name, well its basically the one below the track style one so its ridiculously loud. I can hear hime 3 miles away coming over. But it's sooooo much fun!
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
kevera

Re: Yeah, new neighbor is a Psycho! (Whelan)

Post by kevera »

In Lancers defense.He has to let it idle so the supercharger warms up.I fully understand that now.I have always have had loud vehicles,so I know where he's coming from.Just don't beat the crap out of him,he's not worth the headache.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
joatmon

Re: Yeah, new neighbor is a Psycho! (kevera)

Post by joatmon »

that sucks. I usually just start it up and go. Do you have to let it idle to warm up, or can you let it warm up by driving it easy like a regular car?
Lancer

Re: Yeah, new neighbor is a Psycho! (joatmon)

Post by Lancer »

Been trying to not let the car idle "sooo" long. I now only let it warm up to 120 degrees (water temp), instead of it's operating temp of 170. Takes no more than 2 minutes. The reason I warm it up is because I live just a few blocks from the interstate and the car does not like to run well cold. Plus, I have lots of stuff on the engine to keep things cool because of the s/c and it takes longer to warm up.The shop that did my exhaust has basically abandoned me and are not returning my calls and saying that they are still waiting to hear from their 'exhaust guy'. Hope their shop burns down! Is there any legal routes I could try? I paid a lot of money for this system and it's not at all what they promised. So, for anyone in this part of WI, do NOT go to Extreme Performance Motorsports for anything. They only want to work on mustangs, hemi's, corvettes, and other 'American muscle' cars. I thought it was wierd why all the 'ricer' cars, (including an Evo8 and the 400hp celica) all sit outside and by the junk piles while the 'muscle cars' all have spots inside.So I'm basically stuck with this POS exhaust until another payday. I'm thinking of just getting a big square magnaflow made for a camarro of something.Oh yeah, I haven't heard or seen the looney for a couple of weeks now. (I had nothing to do with his 'disappearance'! )