MT bike question

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
mcgusto82

MT bike question

Post by mcgusto82 »

I have a 1 yr old mt bike, the front fork has developed a back and forward play of about 1/4 inch. It's noticeable during braking. My question is, can this be adjusted or rebuilt?Or should i replace the front fork?Or should i use this as an excuse to get a new Mt with disk brakes? lol
jwalcik

Re: MT bike question (mcgusto82)

Post by jwalcik »

is this a fork with shocks? if so, your shocks should have knobs at the top that you can turn to adjust their firmness.there really shouldn't be "play" anywhere else... without shocks a fork is generally a single solid piece of metal from the neck down.
2005 vibe gt
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Sounds like the bearings are loose inside the fork tube. Try tightening the adjustment nut under the large nut on top of the fork tube. It's kinda like adjusting wheel bearings - snug enough to remove any play but loose enough to turn freely.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
prathman

Post by prathman »

Probably just needs a simple adjustment of the headset bearing. This is the bearing that lets the handlebars turn smoothly and if it gets a little loose the fork can move back and forth when you apply the brakes.
mcgusto82

Re: MT bike question (prathman)

Post by mcgusto82 »

ok. So we're on the same page. Where you see the red arrow is where i am rocking back an forward.
4azdmunky

Post by 4azdmunky »

If you paid less than $300 for the bike, most likley you wont be able to adjust it. You would replace the whole fork.Usually you dont find good forks on bikes less than $500.
mcgusto82

Re: MT bike question (4azdmunky)

Post by mcgusto82 »

Can anyone point at some bikes around 300$. Recently bought my wife a Columbia Trialhead sport. Got it from sports authority, my Swichnn came from walmart a year ago. :/The columbia was on sale from 250 at 179. Mine at 149. I guess you get what you pay for. . .
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

If you have ANY amount of sideways movement where the fork tubes are, chances are that something is really wrong with the fork and on a lower end bike they usually aren't repairable. (they are like cell phones in that regard, once they are outdated or stop functioning, they are considered garbage.)In all honesty, try to avoid purchasing a bike at anything other than legitimate bike shop, or at least find a sports retailer with an actual bicycle service department. If you do buy one from Walmart or that type of retailer, either inspect it closely yourself, or take it to a repair shop to have them go over everything to be sure that it's all put together correctly.Do you really want some critical part coming loose or failing because it was assembled poorly?MTB prices have come down quite a bit in the last few years, and a reasonably decent bike with cable actuated discs should be available in the $350 & up range.If I had my choice on a limited budget, I would go for a bike with at least one disc, and front suspension only, as I would gladly trade the rear suspension for the disc brake.My 2cents.
05 Base Vibe, Abyss (also known as Black to un-Vibers)Auto, Power Pkg, 16" alu, 20% tint all around, Black powder coated roof rails (the anodizing didn't last in the sun)Member of S.A.V.E. (Secret Association of Vibe Enthusisasts)
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

if you plan to get a new bike, check out this site for reviews, its currently selected for cross country (xc) hardtails. find some local bike shops and see what they have, each place may have different price ranges too. also dont be afraid to haggle, if you find the right place/people you maybe able to the the price down (its how i got the deal on mine).http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/xc...shtmlback in 03 i got a sweet deal on a jamis dakar sport (priced 900, paid 600) the frame on the lower model was too big for me but the sport frame was what i needed and i was gona look at a different company but he dropped the price down to that of the lower model and i couldnt pass that up, i miss riding, stupid college. cant wait for the summer
mcgusto82

Re: (coldmm803)

Post by mcgusto82 »

i've been shopping around for anew bike. I agree there is little sense in putting in 150$ of new shock on a 150$ bike. So, i'm looking at a couple of entry level Treks, GT's and Giant. I am definately going with Disc breaks this time around, and front Suspension. I must have a hard tail. i can find an 06 Trek with Disc, and 4" travel up front for 389$. Any of you guys have any experience with Columbia bikes? i've heard mix opinions..