weird Email

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
WaveAction

weird Email

Post by WaveAction »

i got this email just nowDear, My name is Mani Willy, First I must solicit for your confidence and approval considering the fact that we don't know each other before,I got your email from Generation Vibe Discussion Forums. I am the son of late Chief Dwilliams, who was a politician and hail from Gagnoa Village of Cote d'Ivoire, my parents was attacked by the R D R rebel on their way to Daloa village in Cote d'Ivoire and sustained injuries and died three day later. Before his death, he revealed to me that he deposited with a prime Bank in Cote D'Ivoire the sum of Ten Million Seven hundred Thousand Dollars (USD$10.7M). I am writing to inform you of my desire to invest, and continue my Education in your country.Presently I am staying in Abidjan till my inheritance has been transferred to any foreign account which I as the next of kin shall provide.Therefore I want you to help me transfer and invest this money in your country, because my father told me that it is dangerous to invest in Africa due to the market instabilities coupled with economic and political situation in Africa.I urge you to make a good arrangement for a joint business investment on my behalf in your country. I have agreed that 20% of the total amount will be for your effort and another 10% to cover all the expenses that may incure during the business transaction, Last, I urge you to keep this transaction strictly confidential as no one knows my where about. Please as you show your willingness, send me your full name, home address , Tel/Fax number and a copy of your picture or passport to build a mutal relationship between us. Thanks. Mani Willy. anyone else get an email like this??
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

Me too. Someone obviously hacked the site. Wonderful.OK I just realized there is a user list here and the default is to show the email addresses. I just went to user options and set it not to be displayed but it's probably too late.
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

yea i just did the same aswell...ahwell..if i get another just check it as junk mail and i'll be fine
Sputnik

Re: (RedFire2K)

Post by Sputnik »

I never display my email address on websites and if I do, its always a "crap" email address that I don't care about anyway. Anyone who needs to contact me through Genvibe can do so with an IM.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
BlueCrush

Re: (Sputnik)

Post by BlueCrush »

It would be nice if there was a security measure that no one can see your e-mail address except GV members if you have it set to display in your profile.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
jsimon63

Re: WARNING- FRAUD: REPORT THIS TO THE FBI INTERNET CRIMES (NeilR)

Post by jsimon63 »

I recieved the same e-mail today (3-24-07). Would these people have to be a memeber to get my e-mail address? BEWARE one and all These are scams!!!
04 Salsa Monotone base, SUPERCHARGED! Auto trans , 6 disc 200w stereo, Alloys, K&N filter, Moons and Tunes, Silver Stars in both fog and head lights, And now Magnilow Cat back exhaust! 06 Lava Monotone Base Auto trans, 200w single disc XM, On-star Alloys, Moons and Tunes Loaded 96 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD Built trans #0 fuel plate and secret adjustments!
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i dont think youd have to be a member..and besides..it takes 5 minutes to make a forum name and ur a member right off the bat..so it's easy to get emails off this website..i suggest that everyone hides their emails..if someone needs to email u or talk to you..pm them and go from there
Kari

Re: weird Email (RedFire2K)

Post by Kari »

I have received no such e-mail, likely because my e-mail is not displayed in my profile. What I would say happened is a spambot got your e-mail addresses out of your profiles...if it had been sent through the board software to all members (i.e. a "hacking"), I would have gotten it as well. Since I didn't, I am inclined to say it was a spambot...just another reason to create a second e-mail acct for "sign up" purposes only.And...just in case there was any doubt...it's a scam, don't respond.
GenVibe Global Moderator
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: (MisterBill)

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by MisterBill »Me too. Someone obviously hacked the site. Wonderful.No one "hacked" the site. The member list is publicly accessible by anyone and if you did not hide your e-mail address initially, it is displayed for all to see. This is by far not abnormal.There are web site "crawlers" that automatically go out and scour the web for forums and other web sites and follow links to harvest e-mail addresses.With this type of e-mail scam in particular, I would hope no one would fall for this as it is so obviously a scam.I could enable the option to automatically hide e-mail addresses in Profiles by default when new members sign up. That way they would have to un-hide it on their own. Unfortunately I cannot do this to existing accounts. If you're protective of your e-mail account, please feel free to go into your Profile and make the change. I'd welcome feedback if this change to new member sign-ups is good or not.
BlueCrush

Re: (NSimkins)

Post by BlueCrush »

I think it is a great idea, Nick. That way new members are automatically protected and like you stated they can make it visible if they choose to.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
breezd

Post by breezd »

I got it too... I'm hiding my email address and gonna switch my email address on here to my other email...
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

nick -- i think that's a good idea. WTG! existing members, click HERE to access your user options and hide your email address from view. It's the third option from the bottom.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Mavrik

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by Mavrik »

I gotta wonder... does anyone actually fall for that crap?
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ragingfish

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »I gotta wonder... does anyone actually fall for that crap?i'd bet money on it some shmuck somewhere has before!!!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »I think it is a great idea, Nick. That way new members are automatically protected and like you stated they can make it visible if they choose to. This has been done.
AKLGT

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »I gotta wonder... does anyone actually fall for that crap?yes. unfortunately, people do all the time. not really sure how they can, but some people actually think it's for real. how do i know? because I've had to deal with some of my customers (when I was working in Merchant Services) that would get some sort of email and want them to send some $3000 or something of merchandise in exchange for a credit card transaction. I had one customer who was all set to send out their "order" when her husband insisted she call me to just "check" and see what I thought. I told her I would personally go over to her house, block her in her driveway to prevent her from being scammed! This was only one customer. I had several others who didn't call first and were therefore scammed out of several thousands of dollars.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Quote, originally posted by MisterBill »Me too. Someone obviously hacked the site. Wonderful.OK I just realized there is a user list here and the default is to show the email addresses. I just went to user options and set it not to be displayed but it's probably too late.Wish I had thought about that earlier. I got one too...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
ragingfish

Re: (ehoff121)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by ehoff121 »Wish I had thought about that earlier. I got one too...change your settings now...it's never too late to hide your address ward off future spambots from harvesting your info!!!

2009 PONTIAC G8
VforVIBE

Re: weird Email (RedFire2K)

Post by VforVIBE »

This is my favorite part:Quote, originally posted by RedFire2K »Last, I urge you to keep this transaction strictly confidential as no one knows my where about. Please as you show your willingness, send me your full name, home address , Tel/Fax number and a copy of your picture or passport to build a mutal relationship between us. AH-DUH!!!!
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

lol that part freaked me out abit
mspalmer

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by mspalmer »

i'd bet money on it some shmuck somewhere has before!!! [/QUOTE]We have a government official who embezzled over 25% of his counties yearly budget on this scam. He thought he could get the money from the Nigeria and replace what he had taken and no one would be none the wiser. this was after he sent $72,000 of his own money with no results. I'm curious to see how they kept stringing him along to get more money.I would be incredibly irritated if I live in that county. I'm somewhat irritated that someone from my state would fall for such an obvious scam.Mikehttp://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs...80305
2005 Platinum AWDMoons and TunesXM RadioLLumar Window TintingWeathertech ventshauling my Taylor 410 w/Fishman pickup and Gibson SG guitars
808 Vibes

Re: (mspalmer)

Post by 808 Vibes »

SCAM..I didn't get one; I don't have my email listed either. But I know a SCAM when I see one
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~