Want your opinion on this....

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
damronjr

Want your opinion on this....

Post by damronjr »

I am considering trying to talk to my step-dad about getting this truck from him. As far as I can tell it is a '48-51 Chevrolet Loadmaster. I believe it was his dad's as it has been sitting in the same place for nearly all my life. It is in VERY good condition as far as body, windows, etc.... go, but not sure about under the hood. I can only assume that is why it has been sitting there for 20+ yrs! I want to try to see if I can get it from him and restore it. I think it would be awesome fixed up. Anyways, here's the pics, tell me what you think.
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
GMJAP

Re: Want your opinion on this.... (damronjr)

Post by GMJAP »

I have NO idea what would be involved to get that thing up and running. I'm sure the interior needs to be gutted. But if you could restore it, that would be very cool! A really classic look.
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
damronjr

Re: Want your opinion on this.... (GMJAP)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by GMJAP »I have NO idea what would be involved to get that thing up and running. I'm sure the interior needs to be gutted. But if you could restore it, that would be very cool! A really classic look.I'm going to ask him about it while I'm over there and take a better look at it. I will most likely end up dropping a different engine in it (I was thinking something really big and powerful ) if it is gone (which it most likely is!), and the headliner looks to be falling, but beyond that I don't know/can't tell. I'll get more pics as well!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

my wife kaye's uncle buys old trucks like that and restores them. and I ask him over and over " why don't you get an old car or truck you can get parts for"his answer: "what fun would that be"on that note, go for it! it would be fun. I could even get a website or forums he goes to and gets alot of parts.Boy they sure had good sheet metal back then.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Looks Like a fun project!!!beware of stinging insects and other roadents that may have found a home in the nooks and grannys of the "beast"
NUBlackshirts

Post by NUBlackshirts »

Bad news/good news from someone who's been there....bad first.The first question I ask anyone considering taking on a project like this is why are you doing it? If you are looking at fixing it up to sell it, don't waste your time and money. You will almost never get out of it what you have put into it. At best you might break even. Only in the case of very rare/desirable vehicles will you ever turn a profit. On the other hand, if you are fixing it up to keep and enjoy it, go for it! Just make sure you understand what you are getting into ahead of time. Things like this can quickly turn into a money pit.Now, with that out of the way, I could easily picture a truck like this running a monster-torque 500+ CID big block. Figure out some way to lower it (air bags?) and some sort of decent looking wheels. You may have to go one-off customs unless you change the bolt pattern. Or if the stock wheels are in good shape, you could have them cleaned up and chromed or painted. Geez, I could really go nuts thinking of the possibilities here! It would certainly be a unique truck.
'04 Frosty GT <---Click here!Tein S-Tech springs; Tokico HP struts;Progress rear sway bar; DC Sports strut tower bar;Scion TC wheels; K&N Typhoon intake;GG Racing ground wires; JAW voltage stabilizer;FilterMAG SS-250; Militec-1; Sirius Satellite Radio
iinan

Re: Want your opinion on this.... (NUBlackshirts)

Post by iinan »

go for it that looks like a really fun project
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
NascarXprt

Re: Want your opinion on this.... (iinan)

Post by NascarXprt »

yes sir very unique! DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Thanks for the feedback guys!Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »" why don't you get an old car or truck you can get parts for"his answer: "what fun would that be"on that note, go for it! it would be fun. I could even get a website or forums he goes to and gets alot of parts.Boy they sure had good sheet metal back then. I couldn't agree more! As fas as sites go, I guess I'll wait until I see if I'm even going to get it, but I will certainly keep you in mind!Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »Looks Like a fun project!!!beware of stinging insects and other roadents that may have found a home in the nooks and grannys of the "beast"This would not surprise me in the least, especially out on a farm in OK where it has been sitting! Snakes are a definite possibility too!Quote, originally posted by NUBlackshirts »The first question I ask anyone considering taking on a project like this is why are you doing it?Things like this can quickly turn into a money pit.Now, with that out of the way, I could easily picture a truck like this running a monster-torque 500+ CID big block. Figure out some way to lower it (air bags?) and some sort of decent looking wheels. You may have to go one-off customs unless you change the bolt pattern. Or if the stock wheels are in good shape, you could have them cleaned up and chromed or painted. Geez, I could really go nuts thinking of the possibilities here! It would certainly be a unique truck.Definitely don't plan to fix and sell it, it would surely be a keeper. have had a '62 and '58 Cadillac Sedan deVilles and know what the turn around is like, and those were supposed to be keepers as well!Big block is definitely in the plans if this goes down, my wife's uncle was saying to get a 572! Don't know about lowering it, as the way it is built it doesn't look very lower-able. I was thinking of leaving the rear and dropping the front though! The wheels on it look pretty cool and appear to be in good shape, so I might just get those polished and chromed. Just ideas right now, but it sounds like fun!
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

that would be an AWESOME truck to fix up! i would LOVE to do something like that (if i knew how, had the money and had any time). maybe when we're old and gray, phil and i will start a restoration business. lol
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS