Diets?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
tnpartsguy

Diets?

Post by tnpartsguy »

Well, I don't do New Years Resolution, but it's past time for me to lose some weight. My doctor is trying to get me to do weight loss surgery, but I don't want to do that yet. I was recommended to try the South Beach diet, anyone here had any success with it? Don't want to do Atkins, it's not good for your body, and can do major harm if you stay on it long term. Any other ideas?
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
Houston

Re: Diets? (tnpartsguy)

Post by Houston »

Quote, originally posted by tnpartsguy »Any other ideas?Not to be a smart a*s, but simply eating less calories helps. This is not to say it's easy. For heavy drinkers of alcohol (and there are no implications here), simply stopping does wonders.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

My friend lost 40 pounds on the GI Diet (I think its similar to the South Beach diet?). Anyway the GI Diet is supposed to be the best one out there. Seems quite easy to follow. I picked up some books on it. I've also started going to the gym 5 to 6 times a week. I've lost 5 pounds in 2.5 weeks and made very little change to my diet - the only change is I measure out my cereal in the morning so I get one portion, I eat a snack at my desk in the morning and afternoon - usually 5 whole wheat crackers with peanut butter or a fruit cup, and I started making my lunch and bringing it to work - a whole wheat sandwich and maybe a salad. The key seems to be cutting out "white" foods - eating complex carbs like whole grains.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
Kari

Re: Diets? (Sputnik)

Post by Kari »

Quote, originally posted by Sputnik »The key seems to be cutting out "white" foods - eating complex carbs like whole grains.Exactly. The Sara Lee "Heart Healthy" wheat bakery style buns and breads are really good and good for you too. I had to buy them once because they were out of everything else (not sure why), but the way their wheat breads taste made me start choosing it over regular buns every time.Using light or fat free dressing on salads helps if you're like me and can't eat a salad with no or very little dressing. For sandwiches, the Kraft fat-free cheddar singles are really really good.There's been a huge improvement in fat free foods in the past few years...they used to taste bland or strange, and now they don't.If you like breakfast or snack bars, CP says the South Beach peanut butter bars are really good and very filling. I still haven't been able to find any here thanks to all the sorority girls who are dieting for New Years...heh. (Have you ever seen a Wal-mart sold *completely* out of every kind of salad mix? A whole 12 foot section of cooler empty? I have. LOL)Good luck man....hope you don't have to have the surgery!
GenVibe Global Moderator
viberationz

Post by viberationz »

The surgery is quite extreme - and if you do not want to go with it that is all a matter of personal preference. I know some people are die hards, and are fighting to get the surgery.Although weight loss can be simple, it can be complex. I find the best and only way to lose is to stick with a plan. Counting calories does wonders, and it doesn't take a genious to know you must exercise.I recommend counting calories as a first step. Although they can be pricey, check out some personal trainers, although I have never had one before I have only ever heard positive feedback from those who have.I believe we all have the ability to lose weight, and get to our goal weight on our own. It is tempation for certain foods that get's to most people, I strongly recommend NOT cutting out your favorite foods completely. This more times than never, leads to binging, which in return usually makes you feel a great loss of control, and you will feel like giving up.You need to really devote yourself to weight loss, and there is no 'cheating'. If you must eat that BigMac - jot down the calories into your journal. There should never be 'free foods, or cheat foods'. In order to get results, you MUST be devoted. Getting a buddy is always more helpfull than not, or you can check out fitness sites and they will have chat rooms and forums that can be very helpfull.I managed to lose 30 pounds in 2 months by counting calories (body height and weight are all factors in how many to consume) and excersing for an hour in the morning, and an hour at night.Someone on here also talked about 'riding your (removed) off on a stationary bike' - DO IT! Once you get into the groove of a bike, you really get the hang out if, and you will soon find yourself going at it for long periods of time, usually to beat your previous time.Good Luck! And if you would like any tips on what are good sites to check out, or you would like help figuring out your daily calories PM me. I know weight loss can be frusterating and I am definitly going to be a supporter of anyone who choses this new lifestyle.Denise
'03 Monotone Black Vibe GT5% Tint, 147.7DB System, Pioneer AVIC-N1, 2G Wiring, Red Calipers, APC Race Seats, Red Interior Accents, 'Big' Breaks, 1 Big fart can out back, 18" Platinum XCess Wheels, Federal SS595 Tires
Sputnik

Re: Diets? (viberationz)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by viberationz »I recommend counting calories as a first step. Although they can be pricey, check out some personal trainers, although I have never had one before I have only ever heard positive feedback from those who have.Getting a trainer, if you can afford it, is excellent advice. I had a trainer for 2 years. She cost me an arm and a leg, but she was worth every penny. I lost 23 pounds with her, and my body fat went from 34% to 19%. I am also now one of the strongest women at the gym (yeah its a women's only gym but no one beats me on leg press!) because of all the weight training we did. She's not my trainer any longer but I email her on occassion for inspiration and ideas on how to change up my program. Having a trainer will allow you to learn how to use the equipment and proper technique which is very important if you want an effective workout. If you don't get a trainer try to incorporate weight training into your workouts as well. Building muscle will help you burn calories faster. It takes 500 calories just to keep one pound of muscle going (is what I was told). So the more muscle you can build, the faster your metabolism. My workout schedule is 45 minutes of cardio and about 30 minutes of weight training. I don't want to be bulky, just toned.Quote, originally posted by viberationz »In order to get results, you MUST be devoted. Getting a buddy is always more helpfull than not, or you can check out fitness sites and they will have chat rooms and forums that can be very helpfull.Also very good advice! If my friend and I hadn't made an agreement to stick to our workout plan I would not be there right now.
GenVibe Global Moderator

ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

Actually I did weight watchers and I lost over 90 pounds in about 7-8 months. I was always checing my progress with my family doctor.I honestly believe that WW is not a diet but a lifestyle change. Good luck!
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

TRDman

Post by TRDman »

A basic exercise routine (running or something) keeps me thin (young though, I'll admit it). Also, it helps if you just cut out deserts. What you can do is eat small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism up and avoid gorging yourself at planned intervals like too many people do (no "breakfast" "lunch" or "dinner", just small food intake throughout the day).
harryyiii

Post by harryyiii »

I lost about 40 pounds starting 4 years ago when my BMI was at the bottom of the obese point of 30. I have put back about 7 pounds which I am trying to work off now. I am still lighter than I was when I graduated High School over 30 years ago. Be forwarned. IT IS NOT EASY. You have to constantly monitor what and how much you eat. Whatever diet you pick, you better like it as it will need to be your diet for life. I loosely follow the principles of the South Beach diet (phase III, the long term plan). I work out at the gym 6 times a week, 3 times on the elyptical dripping in sweat, and three times on weight machines. I still struggle to maintain weight. Regardless of the difficulty, it is worth it. The improvement in how I feel is hard to put in words.The bypass surgury has over 1% fatality rate the first year. Al Roker and Carnie Wilson have had problems keeping the weigh off after the surgery. I was never heavy enough to consider this, but it seems like a drastic step. There is a new procedure in Europe that encapsolates the stomach and is adjustable. This seems more safe. Good luck in whatever you decide.
POLO

Post by POLO »

Ok,i will share my experience.Two year's ago,in basic test,my doctor say that my cholesterol was high,to be careful what i eat;mayonaise,sugar,...So,my family member convince me to do exercise.Each day,i do stationary bicycle 1 hour.I cut sugar,rice,flour.I eat lot's of salads.And,,,i loose 22 kg in 3 week's.And my cholesterol get down too.Before i was 125kg and after i was 90kg.My doctor was impressed,he say it's the first time i see something like this.But,i loose weigh to fast,sometime i feel weak,or i get gold faster.Now,i get little weigh;115kg,but i don't eat like before.Now,i know that if i want i can loose weigh very fast.
Vibe_of_the_thing

Post by Vibe_of_the_thing »

Personally, I recommend exercise because I love good food and it's easier for me to work out than to give that up. In my case though, it's difficult to do the traditional weight-loss workouts (i.e. running) because I don't have a lot of time and my back doesn't seem to like it, probably because of ingrained poor running form. The good news is that even weight training helps you lose weight. In fact it acts in two ways. First, the exertion of lifting the weights of course burns calories (and if you do things right, it can even be a cardiovascular workout), second, muscle burns calories even when you are at rest. According to several sources I've seen, a pound of muscle burns about 50 calories a day doing nothing. Plus just the activity in general will raise your metabolic rate (burning more calories and giving you more energy). I workout 4 days a week, but my workouts are 30 minutes or less.Whatever you do, I strongly recommend three things (and these apply to any kind of exercise, not just weight training).First, start easy. If you hurt yourself your first time out, then you have to wait while you recover and you lose a lot of the progress you made, not to mention the fact that it will be just as difficult to re-start as it was to start.Second, keep a journal of some kind and keep track of your workouts. This one isn't ironclad, but if your memory is like mine, it can be a frustrating waste of time sitting there trying to figure out what weight you need to be doing, and frustration is the last thing you want to be associating with your workout.Third, and this is the best one but the toughest, find someone at least as motivated as you to workout with. Usually even the most diehard workout freaks prefer to have someone there spotting them and just for general company. Seeing them work will be motivation (and give you goals, ideas, and limits), and my experience has been that they will enjoy passing their knowledge on to someone else and helping you achieve your results.If you're interested, I can even give you some workout ideas that you can do with a set of free-weights and/or the simplest of home gyms.Good luck, whatever you choose to do
Sputnik

Re: Diets? (Vibe_of_the_thing)

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by Vibe_of_the_thing »Second, keep a journal of some kind and keep track of your workouts. This one isn't ironclad, but if your memory is like mine, it can be a frustrating waste of time sitting there trying to figure out what weight you need to be doing, and frustration is the last thing you want to be associating with your workout. I don't keep a "journal" exactly but our gym has sheets that you can keep with you to write down the exercise, the weight, the number of reps, and the seat position. I'm actually making up three programs as I type - one for upper body, one for lower body and one for full body. I'm going to do upper on Mon, lower on Weds, and full on Saturday along with Cardio those days and Tuesday and Thursday.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Vibe_of_the_thing

Re: Diets? (Sputnik)

Post by Vibe_of_the_thing »

That's basically what I do as well (sheets). We have a little gym at my work and a co-worker and I work out there. I haven't done much in the way of lower body, but I should soon so I don't get the dreaded bird legs.I usually do a four day pattern (Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday). Monday is one muscle group, Tuesday a different one, then Thursday and Friday repeat Monday and Tuesday, respectively. Back and bicep, chest and tricep are the two groups. I do shoulders every workout day, alternating between side and front, and an ab workout of some kind every day.