Any triathletes Vibe owners?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
konabri

Any triathletes Vibe owners?

Post by konabri »

This is my first day on the board here so I am still getting my bearings. Any of you use your Vibe to haul your bikes in? I use my Vibe for lugging my kayak to the lake and taking my bike to group rides all over and going to races. It works perfectly.
Sputnik

Re: Any triathletes Vibe owners? (konabri)

Post by Sputnik »

Yeah my hubby hauls his bike all over in the Vibe. He's got two bikes and wants to get a third (street, mountain, and then a hybrid).
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
Toolman

Post by Toolman »

What kind of bike do you use to ride Triatholons, I have been looking at cyclocross. I have rode on a 24 hour Mt bike teams and I ran a Half marathon last year, so I am going to do a triatholon this year.
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

i also cycle...but i ride with a club that meets about 5km from my house...i've had to load the bike up into the vibe a few times though and it works well (no way my baby is riding on the roof or used as a second rear bumper!)take both wheels off and it sits upright along the side with plenty room in the back for other stuff. I used bungee cords and cloth (to avoid rubbing "my precious" (say with smiegle (sp?) voice for best effect)) to hold the bike upright along the side by using the metal loops in the vibe.hey toolman, i rode some cyclocross back in the early '90s as a junior...they're really fun! ..tough though.
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
konabri

Re: Any triathletes Vibe owners? (Toolman)

Post by konabri »

Congrats and welcome. It is a great sport and hobby that has the potential to completely consume your free time.A tri bike is very different from a mtn bike or a cross bike. They are most similiar to a road bike but two key differences are a steeper seat angle and aerobars. If you are just starting out with a short tri any kind of bike is fine.I am lazier than Atomb. I usually just fold my rear seats down and throw my whole bike in - wheels and all. Of course that takes up a lot of space. If I need to put other 'stuff in the back I will take off the front wheel. For traveling more than 100 miles for a race I'll do it like Apomb does and take off both wheels.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Quote, originally posted by konabri »I am lazier than Atomb. I usually just fold my rear seats down and throw my whole bike in - wheels and all. Of course that takes up a lot of space. If I need to put other 'stuff in the back I will take off the front wheel. For traveling more than 100 miles for a race I'll do it like Apomb does and take off both wheels. Yeah this is what the hubby does... he hates taking off his wheels. He does triathalons too but he normally does them as part of a relay team because he has problems running. So he either does the swim or the bike portion.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)