What is the difference in DVD's?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Charlievibe

What is the difference in DVD's?

Post by Charlievibe »

A friend of mine here at work came in and asked the difference between the DVD types out there and we got ourselves so loaded up on the information that we are now somewhat confused. So here is her question:What is the difference between DVD+RW and DVD-RW (which can then be broken down into video and VR - I guess the DVD+RW can't??)? Her next question is as follows:She wants to make DVD's from VHS tapes that will play in anyone's DVD player. Does she use the DVD+RW or the DVD-RW?Please give this to us in DVD for Dummies style, not the techno-above-your-head kind of stuff. We already found all of the techno stuff on the Internet.Thanks!!
Just because you see Charlie doesn't mean I am a he....sometimes Charlie can be a she!!!!
millster

Re: What is the difference in DVD's? (Charlievibe)

Post by millster »

Basically, it's this. You want to use +R or +RWThey are the most compatible with DVD players for video. -R and -RW are, in general, cheaper and good for data but have issues with playing in some DVD players. As far as what the + or - stand for, they're just different format standards and further explaination would exceed "DVD for Dummies". RW and R just define whether the disc is re-writable (RW) or can only be written once (R). Generally, write-once (R) discs are more compatible and would be recommended in the situation you described. RW discs are best suited for archiving data (digital photos and the like).So, short and sweet:Use DVD+R
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
Baltovibe

Re: What is the difference in DVD's? (millster)

Post by Baltovibe »

According to http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdformats.htm , DVD-R has the highest compatibility with up to 95%. DVD+R is close with up to 90%. DVD+RW and DVD-RW have much lower compatibility.
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
Charlievibe

Post by Charlievibe »

Millster, this was very clear and easy to understand, thank you so much!!! As soon as I am done here, I am forwarding on the information to my friend.Baltovibe, your information was also clear and understandable, thank you. I will be sending your info along as well.Thank you both and for humoring me with dummies explanations!!!
Just because you see Charlie doesn't mean I am a he....sometimes Charlie can be a she!!!!
Pablo1669

Re: What is the difference in DVD's? (Charlievibe)

Post by Pablo1669 »

another difference is that the DVD-R's write/read in whats called CLV (constant Linear Velocity) which is slower, but has less of a tendency to create errors in the burning processDVD+R's use CAV (constant Angular Velocity) in reading/writing, which improves speed, but can leave you with more chance for errors. This doesn't really play into effect too much to consider one over the other.I use DVD-R's because like someone else already pointed out, they are the most compatible with home DVD players.
-Brian
millster

Re: What is the difference in DVD's? (Baltovibe)

Post by millster »

Hmmm... well I'm a little out of date then, I think. When I was dealing with that stuff a lot more, DVD+R was the way to go for compatibility. Strange how that changed.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
GMJAP

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by millster »Hmmm... well I'm a little out of date then, I think. When I was dealing with that stuff a lot more, DVD+R was the way to go for compatibility. Strange how that changed.In my experience, I've had issues with "-R' disks that wouldn't work in several other people's DVD players. I've never had a problem with "+R" disks in any of those same (or any other) players. Which would seem to support your research.DVD-R is an older format, so I had expected it to work in more players, but it didn't turn out that way...
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
millster

Re: What is the difference in DVD's? (GMJAP)

Post by millster »

Well then at least I'm not the only one. I used to do a lot of video work and sent items out on DVD. At the time, the only burner I had was the DVD-R drive in my iMac G4. I had a number of people who could not use my discs and at that time, I wasn't the only one with that issue. I've been out of that loop for a while though and apparently the standards support has changed some since then.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

ive noticed some DVD+R working better in older laptops and dvd players, but i hear and read DVD-R is more compatible. All of my devices read both so i dont care but i only buy DVD-R's. soon blu-ray will be out, then more upgrading!! i wonder how long until affordable blu-ray burners come out....
Toolman

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Toolman »

I make copies of a lot of movies for people at work and the few that I have made with DVD+ have had some issues, when I make them with DVD- no one has an issues.
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
Toolman

Re: (Toolman)

Post by Toolman »

Better explanation here http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
JustinVGT

Post by JustinVGT »

I always heard DVD-Rs are more compatible. Back when I worked in retail, we sold probably more than twice as many -Rs than we did +Rs. Often we'd sell out of -Rs but always had +Rs.
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
Toolman

Re: (JustinVGT)

Post by Toolman »

That is true -r's are more compatible.