Defective home heater

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
iinan

Defective home heater

Post by iinan »

Just a word of warning if you own or plan to buy a Honeywell home portable heater p/n :034-04074-000 R1. This is the condtion of my plug and outlet after a months use. The outlet is completely burned out and will have to be replaced. I consider my family and myself lucky that I checked this plug out a few days ago.
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
Mase

Re: Defective home heater (iinan)

Post by Mase »

I had that happen before with an air conditioner. I replaced the outlet and noticed the blades inside the outlet were worn and made poor contact with the appliance plug. That caused it to heat up. I replaced the outlet and had no problem since.
Jaycie685

Post by Jaycie685 »

Good thing you noticed it before it could start a fire! You should contact the company and notify them so they can send out a recall.
Jen's Vibe:: 2004 two-tone base in Frosty :: Automatic :: Exhaust Tip :: Rear Bumper Protector :: Cargo Nets :: Rear Cargo Mat :: Rear Cargo Cover :: "You just got passed by a wagon " decal :: Red glowing "No Smoking" plug in cigarette lighter ::
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Problems like that come about when the electrical contact between the plug and the outleet is less than optimal. A little bit of corrosion, and the resistance goes up, current through resistance is power lost to heat. Right now you can't tell if the problem was the plug on the heater or the electrical contact inside the socket.
iinan

Re: Defective home heater (joatmon)

Post by iinan »

Yeah I contacted honeywell and they are sending out a refund and a box so that I can send it back to them. I have had other higher voltage devices plugged into that same outlet and have never had a problem like this before, so I doubt that it was an outlet issue. But who knows? Hopefully they can address the problem.
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

That's cool. I didn't think about it before, but the problem could be inside the heater plug, where the wire connects to the plug terminal.Anyway, glad you caught it before something terrible happened.
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

Quote, originally posted by iinan »Yeah I contacted honeywell and they are sending out a refund and a box so that I can send it back to them.At first when I read this, I thought it was nice for Honeywell to make good on the problem. But now after thinking a bit, I wonder if they are doing it to obtain the evidence and prevent a lawsuit?
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
Pigs

Post by Pigs »

I was like 'Defective Home Theater'????!1
2005 Vibe Moonstonehttp://www.hi2u.usSchool of Rock > *
cohocarl

Post by cohocarl »

Quote, originally posted by iinan »The outlet is completely burned out and will have to be replaced.Yup, I'd definately replace the outlet. Who knows if it was a defective heater, or the extra draw on a worn out outlet. Glad you caught it before the place burned down.
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.