Feels like my first *&^@$! Winter!

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
rebbierae

Feels like my first *&^@$! Winter!

Post by rebbierae »

So here in South Dakota we finally got our first snow of the year--and it came without messin' around. Started to rain Sunday and kept up on and off until Monday morning. About 8:00 yesterday morning the rain turned to snow, then it got windy, and that was all she wrote. They closed my place of employment at 3:00, which is almost unheard of, and they closed the MALL at 5:00, which means you KNOW the weather is bad. Anyway, I've NEVER been afraid to drive in the snow--I love it, actually. But last night in the Vibe I was a little less than happy. Was almost at a standstill on a busy street, and could NOT get enough purchase to get going again. I was talking to my boyfriend on my phone so he turned around to come back and help me, but I finally got going and made it home. Not sure what the problem was--I didn't have any trouble last year with the Vibe, and oddly enough, my Sunfire before used to LOVE plowing through the snow! I just bought my first house in May, so this is also my first time dealing with getting out of my driveway, etc. The b/f bought me a snowblower a couple weeks ago, and at lunch yesterday he showed me how to use it. Got stuck in my driveway 4 times last night just trying to get the car into the garage--luckily he had followed me home and helped me fire up the snowblower and get it plowed out a bit. The door to get into my house was frozen shut so we had to kick at that to get inside! This morning I was back up at 6 a.m. to get the snowblower fired up and get the drifts out of the driveway. Made it to work on time and then find out we had a 2 hour late start. I've always lived in an apartment so this is my first experience snowblowing my own driveway, etc. People give me crap because I LOVE the snow--because I've never had to shovel my own driveway!
BlueCrush

Re: Feels like my first *&^@$! Winter! (rebbierae)

Post by BlueCrush »

I was wondering how you were doing. I knew you were getting hit pretty hard.After raining all day yesterday it finally started to snow here around 10:00pm last night.Our power went out for 1-1/2hrs this morning.We only have a few inches so far.Winter is fun! How much did you get?
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BOZACK

Re: Feels like my first *&^@$! Winter! (BlueCrush)

Post by BOZACK »

Sounds like your problem was ice. If it rained first and then snowed the water on the ground would freeze. The snow is then resting on a layer of ice and all you do is spin your tires from a stand still.
Monotone Neptune, pow pac, 17" stock rims, K&N air filter, bumper guard, custom pedels, brake light cover, billet oil cap
rebbierae

Post by rebbierae »

You know, I can't find ANYWHERE how much snow we actually got. Couldn't have been much more than 4-6 inches. But with the ice underneath, and then the wind, it got sort of nasty. Lucky for us here in Sioux Falls we never lost power, but a lot of small towns to the west of us are still without, and may be for a couple days yet. Let's just say that maybe my Christmas cash should be used to get rid of the Conti's that are on the Vibe now! Wish I lived closer to Fishboy--I'd buy that set he has. Oh well, I'll figure something out! So how much snow did you end up with overall? My sister lives up there too, and she just got a new Vibe a couple months ago--wonder how hers did in the snow.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

We only got 2-3 inches on top of freezing rain. Not too bad. I asked for some snow tires for x-mas. I may not be able to wait until then though. We'll see.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
rebbierae

Post by rebbierae »

I really don't have the money for new tires, but I might have to look into it if it doesn't get any better. I'm hoping it was the combination rain/ice/snow that made it so difficult, like Bozack said. You guys probably would have laughed your heads off if you could have seen me out there wrestling with my stupid snowblower! I didn't do TOO bad for my first time--it didn't look real pretty but I got it done!
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

I think this was the exception snow fall for you...My wife drives ours on original tires that still look new and she does not have issues like you did in the snow. She also drives to Detroit 3 times a week and if that car did not get traction, I would have already heard about it!Have to keep Program Management happy you know! Some I know switch to snow tires on the site though...What is next from the BF, a Vacuum Cleaner for X-mas!!! I see he wants to keep you domesticated...
rebbierae

Re: Feels like my first *&^@$! Winter! (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by rebbierae »

Hey! He's good for SOMEthing! last year for my birthday he tinted the windows in my car....that's a pretty good gift! And this wasn't even a present...it was just because I needed it! I do need a new vacuum though....Or a supercharged 3800 engine.....
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

I know I was just playing with you! A snow-thrower is a great idea if you do not have one! Any tool to make the job easier is well worth it I say! Tell him you want one of those Dyson vacuums, I think they start at $600...
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by MiVibe-ToolGuy »Tell him you want one of those Dyson vacuums, I think they start at $600...they never lose suction... ever
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
ToolGuy

Re: Feels like my first *&^@$! Winter! (drunkenvibe)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenvibe »they never lose suction... ever Yes that is correct! You know what I am talking about!
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by MiVibe-ToolGuy » Yes that is correct! You know what I am talking about! what can i say, the technology works!i wish i had some snow to play in. if it's going to be cold enough for it, there might as well be some dammit! i want to do donuts! (and have drunkengirlfriend capture video of them on her phone)
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
rebbierae

Re: Feels like my first *&^@$! Winter! (drunkenvibe)

Post by rebbierae »

Well DV, I could send some your way--we got about another 8 inches yesterday in about 6 hours. Was NOT looking forward to driving to work this morning....but while I was waiting to pull out of my driveway I saw a SWEET red Solstice convertible driving by--the first one I've seen in person!!
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

well I woke up to about 2 inches this morning.
drunkenmaxx

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »well I woke up to about 2 inches this morning.i know someone who woke up to about six!
drunkengirlfriend

Re: (drunkenvibe)

Post by drunkengirlfriend »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenvibe »i know someone who woke up to about six! really, who I would Love to meet her!
damronjr

Re: (drunkengirlfriend)

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by drunkengirlfriend »really, who I would Love to meet her! Uh oh, looks like it's busteddrunken!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
BlueCrush

Re: (drunkengirlfriend)

Post by BlueCrush »

^^ Ouch!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
PHXLavaVibe

Post by PHXLavaVibe »

Not that I want to (removed) anyone off but I sure am loving the weather here in Phoenix Arizona. It is supposed to be a nice and sunny 76 with a low of 43.
2006 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER Overall...an amazing vehicle for my family and lifestyle!!! Thanks everyone for allowing me to stay on GENVIBE SPECIAL THANKS TO KAMIKAZE FOR THE NEW SIGNATURE
Toolman

Re: Feels like my first *&^@$! Winter! (PHXLavaVibe)

Post by Toolman »

I am not a fan of the cold weather, dont mind the snow. I have even had my GTO out in the snow a couple of times, does as good if not better than the front wheel drives that I have had. I just dont take it out if they have salted or cindered the roads.
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
rebbierae

Re: Feels like my first *&^@$! Winter! (PHXLavaVibe)

Post by rebbierae »

Doesn't bother me PHX--I love the snow. My friends keep telling me that will change now that I have my own driveway to blow out, but so far I still love it. That may change after I have to drag the snowblower out for the 8th time, but for now--snow is GOOD! Just don't like that ice we got underneath it--made it very hard for my little Stella to get around!
ToolGuy

Re: (drunkenvibe)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenvibe »i know someone who woke up to about six! Oh!!