Anyone use thier cell phone as thier home phone?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Toolman

Anyone use thier cell phone as thier home phone?

Post by Toolman »

My wife and I have cell phones and no other(landline) and dont ever plan to get one. Now there is a product that makes this easier, it is called the Dock and Talk. Here for details http://www.cellamericas.com/st...age=1What it does is allow you to connect your home phones to your cell phone and places calls through your cell line. Now you can have a whole house of phones that connect through your cell line. This is especially handy for people who have service in only part of thier house.
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
JustinVGT

Re: Anyone use thier cell phone as thier home phone? (Toolman)

Post by JustinVGT »

That's pretty cool. I only use my cell, but I have a small apartment so I wouldn't need something like that.
Justin 2003 Vibe GT - Mille Miglia Evo5 18x8 Wheels (now stock)- Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (now stock)- Tein S-Tech Springs (now stock)- Injen CAI - Red Painted Calipers - Hella Supertone Horns - Polk Speakers - Bazooka RS8A-HP Sub - Kenwood Headunit - Still love my Vibe, but I've just turned it back into a basic daily driver.
Pigs

Post by Pigs »

We only have cell phones, home phones are a rip off.We got cingular and just setup our area code as where we live rather than just some random one.
2005 Vibe Moonstonehttp://www.hi2u.usSchool of Rock > *
Kari

Post by Kari »

That sounds pretty neat...I use my cell phone exclusively because I can't afford to have both, and I get really good signal here. But there are times when the towers are down and you wonder if there was an emergency, if you would be able to call out at all, and if it would be safer to have a home phone. But that still doesn't give me the money to be able to pay for a landline too, that I wouldn't use anyway. I'm getting 400 minutes a month, unlimited nights and weekends and network calling, free roaming no matter what, and all for $45 a month including the taxes. That's less than I would pay for a landline with long distance, definitely. Unless I did the digital phone from the cable company, but then I can't take it with me.
GenVibe Global Moderator
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

why would you want to add more phone headsets to just your house?? i figure you and your wife have phone, why add to it?in this day land lines aren't the primary phone service on houses, but there are things that are reserved for them. for instence, home security sevices. brinks, and ADT (i think) required a secured phone line. (land line) to monitor services. all security services that connect to an outside source use land lines. if you think that home security isn't important.. well, that's you. however, this is one of the most important features a land line is needed.we 're heading into an age of "wireless". too much wireless can cause a headache. not enough enphasis is put into wireless security.those home based phone adapters use bluethoot. that means your phone has to "accept " at all times. leaving your mobile unprotected from intruders.my wife and i share 1k (2 phones) minutes on sprint, but when we get back into a house. we're going to have a land line.
Toolman

Re: Anyone use thier cell phone as thier home phone? (mcgusto82)

Post by Toolman »

This way we can have multiple handsets and talk on the phone in the basement, were the cell phone does not pick up. And it will allow me to not "run" to answer the phone when it is upstairs.
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
russ257

Post by russ257 »

yeah i only have a cell. i think phone companies refer to us as "cord cutters"
'03 VIBE AWDPioneer AVIC-N1MOMO 6.5" componets in frontMOMO 6.5" speakers in rearJL e6450 six channel ampJL 12" w3 subAlpine 120W amp powering the sub
millster

Post by millster »

I'm a "cord-cutter" too and I've been looking for something like this for while. I have a major problem with not being within earshot of the phone when it is ringing so I miss a lot of calls. The problem is, I can't seem to find one that works with Verizon's current phone offerings and nobody else has decent coverage in this area. One day, one day.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
Toolman

Re: Anyone use thier cell phone as thier home phone? (millster)

Post by Toolman »

Quote, originally posted by millster »I'm a "cord-cutter" too and I've been looking for something like this for while. I have a major problem with not being within earshot of the phone when it is ringing so I miss a lot of calls. The problem is, I can't seem to find one that works with Verizon's current phone offerings and nobody else has decent coverage in this area. One day, one day. What type of phone do you have? The dock and talk works with a buch of phones, and there are more products like this. I am going to order one this week.
millster

Post by millster »

Currently an LG VX6000 but as soon as I can get Verizon to cooperate (LONG story) I'm getting a Moto E815.I look forward to hearing what you think of it. I'm hoping I'll find one at some point that I can use. It would truly save me a lot of grief from family and friends.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I am in a cell hole, and none of the various service providers offer coverage at my house. I guess it's kind of rural, and there's a convenience store two miles up the road where cell service is pretty good, but it seems too "Waltons" to have to run up to Ike Godsey's general store to use the telephone, so I am pretty dependent on the wired telephone.
johnsoax

Post by johnsoax »

My water meter requires a landline, but I think I may look into this phone dock that you are talking about and see if I could use that
Stereo Mod - Cargo carpet - Phone on ash tray. - Hidden HitchProjects: Fix CELMileage - 50050 - 31.41 MPG Ave
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

interesting. we got rid of the land line since we never used it. now we just use our cell phones. of course i have about 2 cordless phones and answering machines that i don't know what to do with... oh well! lol
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
steves76

Post by steves76 »

Only cell phones here
Sputnik

Re: Anyone use thier cell phone as thier home phone? (steves76)

Post by Sputnik »

I'd hate to use my cell phone all the time. I find the landline better quality, better phone in general. I find cell phones too small to talk for very long on them. So we use a landline almost always. Cell phone is a pay as you go for the car/travel purposes. I had to use it for three weeks when I moved and Bell was on strike. I hated every minute of it. I couldn't take it with me because then my bf would be without a phone if he stayed home. I was so happy when Bell finally came to hook up the land line.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
Nervous_Dog

Re: Anyone use thier cell phone as thier home phone? (Sputnik)

Post by Nervous_Dog »

My wife I cut the cord 3 years ago. The only people who ever called the landline were telemarketers. All of our friends and family called our cell phones anyway since they knew it was the easiest way to reach us.
Nervous Dog2003 Monotone Lava GT w/ M&T and PowerMods: 18" Bronze Tenzo-R Mean Six rims w/ Kumho MX12" Rockford Fosgate Punch Sub in slot ported box2 - Rockford Fosgate Punch 201S amps2 pair - Rockford Fosgate P162C in front/rear doorsSony Xplod 5710 head unitHidden Hitch
johnsoax

Re: (johnsoax)

Post by johnsoax »

Quote, originally posted by johnsoax »My water meter requires a landline, but I think I may look into this phone dock that you are talking about and see if I could use that Called the water company, and they informed me that they could switch us to a radio meter instead of the phone meter. And its free!!!!!So we are very much contemplating getting rid of the landline. Our bill went up another $1 again this month, so for a phone that we only get telemarketing calls and our water meter uses we pay $26 a month and get 0 included minutes.
Stereo Mod - Cargo carpet - Phone on ash tray. - Hidden HitchProjects: Fix CELMileage - 50050 - 31.41 MPG Ave
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

I will be keeping our land line... Our Direct TV Sat uses it too.We both have cells our work pays for them though and there is no way I will put up with the dropping of calls, static sometimes, pausing to wait and hear the other person talk since with most cells talking over people can happen and always having to re-charge the damn cell phone more than we already do now! Plus we want to keep our old area code since it has changed to a new one!
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

my Wife and I are home phonelesssucks sometimes b/c i now cant have Directv tivo.