Bored quickly with car?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
Reynoma

Bored quickly with car?

Post by Reynoma »

I've purchased a few cars in my life so far. It seems that I average about 1 purchase every 3 years (this is for my family, so we usually own 2 cars at one time). So I own a car for about 6 years.My thinking is always: "I'll keep this car until it falls apart". In reality, after about 2.5 years, I get bored and want something else. BUT, I've taken a 4/5 year loan out and am usually upside down. So, does anybody have any advice about how to go into a new car knowing that in about 3 years I am going to bored and want to get rid of it? I know that I could:1) Lease the car for 3 years - but I had a really bad experience leasing one time and it cost me a $750 at lease end for so called "damage" - rear bumper was scuffed.2) Have a 3 year loan - but that is going to equate into some pretty large payments.3) Always buy used for less moneyAnything I'm not thinking of?
Philippians 2:11
BlueCrush

Re: Bored quickly with car? (Reynoma)

Post by BlueCrush »

If I were you I would look into leasing again. The amount you would pay is going to be less over the three year period even if you have to pay $750 additional for a damage. The only thing bad thing you have to worry about is making sure the mileage doesn't go over the max amount or you will then pay thru the nose. So if you can keep your mileage down and minimize any damage the lease sounds like a better option and if you really like the car you may have the option of purchasing the car at the end of the lease.I keep mine for about 10 years each, with a new one every 5-7years so a lease would not work for me but if I was to get a new vehicle every three years I would definitely lease it.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
JohnC

Re: Bored quickly with car? (joatmon)

Post by JohnC »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I say just wait it out, pick one of your current vehicles and keep it. Get the loan paid off, and still keep the car, setting aside the money you were paing on the loan. Then, when you do actually need to get a new car, you can either pay for it in cash, or at least put enough downpayment that you will never be upside down in the loan. This is what I do also. It works great, and it tempers the urge to buy a new car when you have to cash in your interest earning CDs. When you start getting bored with it just add a few mods.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
OrangeGT

Post by OrangeGT »

Smash it. Burn it. Get it stolen. Collect money. Switch ins companys.Not nessicarley in that order.
2004 Vibe GTOrange Fusion MetallicMoons & TunesPower GroupXm
redlava

Re: Bored quickly with car? (JohnC)

Post by redlava »

Quote, originally posted by JohnC »This is what I do also. It works great, and it tempers the urge to buy a new car when you have to cash in your interest earning CDs. When you start getting bored with it just add a few mods. That works for me too. Unfortunatly it is almost as expensive as just buying a new car. Thankfully I still have as much fun driving my car now as I did the first day I bought it.
Mavrik

Re: Bored quickly with car? (redlava)

Post by Mavrik »

What sucks for me is I bought a new car when I "really" didn't need one but I liked the Vibe and wanted something to make payments on to build my credit. I was making payments to my room mate on a car I "bought" from him but nothing offically in records that could appear in a credit check. So I sold that car and bought the Vibe, built up my credit... and moved to the US. Now I have NO credit again and still making payments on my car which since I bought in Canada, does not build credit in the US. But yeah, people are turning out cars every 2 years, seems to be the most people keep them. But you got the crowd of people buying used cars to modify or just drive till the doors fall off as well. Myself, the Vibe will go when its payed off and I'll probably buy something else. And no loans for me, they restrict you from doing anything to the car other then drive it.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

If you always want to buy new, flipping every 3 years you should probably lease, assuming you can stay within the mileage allotment. You don't tie up a big down payment, and when you're done, you're done. Getting hit for damage is pretty much a wash, cause if you owned and sold the car with the damage, you'd take a hit on the price. Might be cheaper to have damage fixed before returning the leased car.Alternatively, look at buying a used car that someone else leased for 3 years. They've taken the biggest hit on depreciation, you drive it years 4-6.Personally I buy new (usually for cash) and hold. Last car I sold I owned from new for 11 years. Still have a 12 yr old Toyota. Did get rid of one car after 2 1/2 years, but it was a Ford, no further explanation necessary. Won't make that mistake again.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider