Gmail Users: Spammed?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
ragingfish

Gmail Users: Spammed?

Post by ragingfish »

So I started using Gmail a few months ago...And already, I'm finding more and more spam is showing up daily.Granted, Gmail catches it and stows it in the "Spam" folder. But the fact that it's there at all pisses me off. I feel violated and abused.Are any other Gmail users experiencing spam attacks in such short times?I left Yahoo! Mail for the same reason -- but it took 3-4 years before I started getting attacked...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Sputnik

Re: Gmail Users: Spammed? (ragingfish)

Post by Sputnik »

I haven't been getting spammed. Do you use your gmail on the internet?
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I set myself up a couple of gmail accoutns, but don't really use them for anything important. One of them had a lot of spam in the spam folder, looked like it was robot generated, and it also seemed like the to: address wasn't the username on the account.
nismo

Post by nismo »

Hey,Check your spam filter. There may be a problem there. I know for a fact that all of my spam goes right in that folder everytime.Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
cibomatto

Post by cibomatto »

no spam here.. I have been pretty guarded about where I post my email address//
Salsa (2-tone) Base Automatic Vibe with Moontune package
ragingfish

Re: Gmail Users: Spammed? (TRD4reel)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by TRD4reel »Hey,Check your spam filter. There may be a problem there. I know for a fact that all of my spam goes right in that folder everytime.InderI'm aware of that, and it's doing that. But my issue is, I shouldn't have any at all!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

I know how you feel. It's the same feeling when you keep getting the unwanted calls from telemarketers at home. I'm glad that I only have a cell phone.I've had the same email account with Hotmail since 1997 and I get loaded with spam all the time. I get junk in there literally every day.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

No issues here, I have only received 1 spam (which came in the other day.) Been using gmail for maybe a month now...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Turbo5Speed

Re: Gmail Users: Spammed? (ColonelPanic)

Post by Turbo5Speed »

I use my Hotmail account more than I use my GMail account, but my GMail account doesn't get much spam at all. I don't use the GMail address for anything other than passing to friends, however. If I don't know someone well enough to call them by their first name, they don't know that address. I plan to use it for quite some time.
Mavrik

Re: Gmail Users: Spammed? (Turbo5Speed)

Post by Mavrik »

Have you done a scan of your computer? If you have an adware program running somewhere, some of them can actually locate your e-mail and spam the hell out of it.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I received another piece of spam since my last post... Several folks at work have gmail, no major spam issues there...Is your addy out there on the net where it could have been picked up by some sort of e-mail farming thing?

Image Image
Turbo5Speed

Post by Turbo5Speed »

Go to http://www.Spybot.com and in the upper right hand corner click where it says "Looking for Spybot S & D?". It will take you to a new page, and download Spybot Search and Destroy. It's a free shareware program that works better than any I've used before, and it will clean up your computer of all unwanted adware, spyware, and other malicious software on your comp.
ColonelPanic

Re: Gmail Users: Spammed? (Turbo5Speed)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Spybot is good stuff... But it won't work for me though, I only run Linux, so no worries about viruses, spyware, malware, etc. lol

Image Image
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

i think there is a problem with gmail.one of my usernames there is cyberviber (pretty catchy right?)anyway, today I had three more spamsIn gmail, if you view an email, and find and click the link for "more options" you a link for "show original" click on that link and it will show you the email and all the email headers. Of the three new spams that cyberviber got today, one was addressed to cybervgirl, one to cybervi, and one to cyclnsteve. These are the To: addresses that show up Bcc addresses don't show up that way. Either spam directed at someone else's possible account is getting thrown into my spam box, or the emails are actually adressed to a large number of blind copy adresses. Either way, I don't think that any of it is from the exposure of my gmail username on the internet, I think there are spambots out there sending millions of emails to what it hopes will be valid recipients.
Kari

Post by Kari »

I haven't given my Gmail addy to ANYBODY and I still had 15 spam e-mails, all with the same sort of address patterns as what you talked about. I had this problem on Hotmail as well. It sucks.
GenVibe Global Moderator
ColonelPanic

Re: Gmail Users: Spammed? (joatmon)

Post by ColonelPanic »

That appears to be exactly what happened with the spam I received... The person the message was sent to is sort of like my user name, minus a character. Also just noticed the same crap with a couple of the guys that I mentioned earlier that *weren't* getting spammed. Oh well, no escaping this stuff eh?

Image Image
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

the spam I get on google is usually addressed to a different usename, close, but the last couple of characters are different.Looking at the message source I almost always see some dsl or cable modem hostname as the originator. Might be spoofed, but I think it more likely that some people with broadband have spyware spambots that send out large numbers of emails to known mail hosts, like gmail, adressed to one user and bcc to multiple other possible auto generated usernames at the same host. By having the spambots run as spyware, it distributes the load and makes it difficult for an email provider to filter out specific hostname/IP adresses as spammers. pretty crafty SOBs. gmail is highly advertised, so it is a sure target of the spammers. perhaps if we used usernames like z9q7x.30e52@gmail.com, the spambots would be less likely to autogenerate our usernames from a preset dictionary, but I prefer putting up with some spam in order to have a username that is easier to remember. At least the spam filter on gmail, whatever it is that auto files the crap into the spam folder, seems to be pretty good at identifying spam
ColonelPanic

Re: Gmail Users: Spammed? (joatmon)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Woo hoo! Lookie at this beauty of an offer!Quote »Who can resist a 24kt. white gold Rolex watch surrounded in stainless steel?Haven't checked my messages for a couple of days, have 6 in the spam box now...

Image Image
joatmon

Re: Gmail Users: Spammed?

Post by joatmon »

I have three gmail accounts, and rarely check them, but I did today, and noticed two things:Spam - in two of the accounts I had zero spam, the other one I had no spam since 1/10. Congrats to whatever powers were able to shut down those spamming b&stardsInvites - all three of my accounts now say they each have 50 invites. That's a lot of invites. If anyone does need an invite, all ya gotta do is ask.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Yeah, I noticed my spam all but disappeared as well!Kudos to Gmail! You did what none of the others could do...

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

The spam is BAAAAAAAAAAACK!I last emptied my spam folder yesterday morning. This is what has accumulated since then:Whatever they did last time to shut down the spammers, they need to do it again!!!

Attached files

2009 PONTIAC G8
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

My gmail always has a spam folder full of garbage in it and I don't use that account for anything. I wonder if they use metrics like "total number of e-mails received" to measure their share of e-mail traffic? Maybe they do this intentionally? hmm...Spammers have been getting through more frequently in the last few weeks. Time to rotate the frequencies on the force fields?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

i made an account over the summer and since day 2 of the account i was getting 10-15 spam but it has increased lately. but imo its bad enough for me to not even use the account except for less important thingsit took almost 2 yrs before i started gettin spam thru yahoo
Kari

Post by Kari »

I've been getting an increase here lately, but it's not because my email address is out there on the internet...I'm mystified.
GenVibe Global Moderator
tnpartsguy

Re: Gmail Users: Spammed? (Kari)

Post by tnpartsguy »

I empty 15~20 junk emails a day from the spam folder on Gmail. It only misses about 1 a week, and hardly ever catches any good emails. It's tons better than Yahoo, and that's a LOT better than our work email.....I get upwards of 10 junk emails AN HOUR there................
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
808 Vibes

Re: Gmail Users: Spammed? (tnpartsguy)

Post by 808 Vibes »

from my first cheap desktop on dial up (7/2000) til the laptop now I've had the same yahoo and hotmail, and I don't get any though ONCE I got an eBay spoof (and I could tell) it was a few years back, but that's it. I don't post email addresses on message boards and don't give them out much.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~