C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world!

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
joholste

Post by joholste »

sorry i'm a bit lost what exactly does this do? what are we computing?i could probably help, 64bit AMD Athalon 3800+ and 465 Gb of harddrive, and 1.75 Gb of RAM
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
joholste

Post by joholste »

well anyways i'm signed up as well.. one thing i can't figure out is how it is figuring max storage. i've my computer up and running and it is only saying that i have .98 Gb of hard drive allocated for it. but it's on it's own drive. which has 206 Gb free
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
joatmon

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! (Jahntassa)

Post by joatmon »

Looks like WCG has added a second project, the first was some sort of Human Proteome folding stuff that I didn't really understand, the second one is for AIDS research.http://www.worldcommunitygrid....ch.do
binary

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by Jahntassa »I agree, though. DO NOT load this on a work system without talking to your boss / IT guys first. IT people like having fits over stuff like this...True dat - we caught an intern installing SETI@Home on our three quad xeon servers last year. He was quickly and mercelessly released for any paying duties. And he didn't even ask if we had a team setup... shesh - he was going to take all the credit.We all ran it on our workstations though... Anyhoo - I'm in and running this one now! Thanks for the heads up!! I've joined your team. Here's the status of my machines... I'll run WCG on all of them.1.8Ghz P4 Thinkpad (signed up and running)2.0Ghz AMD XP (currently installing)1100Mhz Duron (test box at work - monday!)800Mhz AMD Duron (rebuilding for daughter)I've seen a lot of distributed computing sites - be wary of some, they actually resell your cpu power for their clients to do whatever they like with it. Obviously, you're not at risk security wise - but I'd like to know what I'm crunching. It's a moral thing.
binary

Re: (joholste)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by joholste »well anyways i'm signed up as well.. one thing i can't figure out is how it is figuring max storage. i've my computer up and running and it is only saying that i have .98 Gb of hard drive allocated for it. but it's on it's own drive. which has 206 Gb freedon't worry - it's only saying it'll only EVER use .98GB of your hard drive when crunching the numbers. If you gave it an unlimited amount - in theory it could fill it. It'll send its results as it generates them - but if you were disconnected from the Internet - it'll save them until you get reconnected.This is really only useful for people who want to keep the storage footprint of this software small. Say for example you had a very small hard drive.UPDATE As of today - Genvibe members have donated 8 Years 309 Days09 Hours 23 Minutes 57 Secondsof CPU time. Way to go folks!
Toolman

Re: (binary)

Post by Toolman »

Alright. got the 4 computers in my house on this, I am Toolman(Dual core 3.6) and Theeulogy(1.6 centirno Laptop, 2.5 p4, and 2.5 celeron D desktop). This should boost our stats!
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
Toolman

Re: (Toolman)

Post by Toolman »

Laptop is kicking the dual cores a$$ though!
http:/theeulogy.wirefire.com2003 Neptune Blue Moon and Tunes4 Speed AutoBluetooth Install(Wifes)2004 Torrid Red GTO Tinted WindowsBluetooth Install0-60mph in 5.2 seconds0-130mph in 22.5 seconds(Mine)
Toolman

Re: (Toolman)

Post by Toolman »

Lets get everyone here in on this, we could be in the top ten! I could add one more machine in my house(total of 5).
mcgusto82

Re: (ShotInTheDark)

Post by mcgusto82 »

i don't know... i'm a little skeptical...
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

YAY! Linux users such as myself finally have the ability to particpate in the calculations. Well, I *could* participate before but that was running the windoze client under wine and it wasn't thinking too swift. All it takes is the BONIC client. Seems to be working fine! I'll keep it running and we'll see what happens. I'm at a major disadvantage though, still being on dial-up.

Attached files
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
PolarVrtX

Post by PolarVrtX »

Hey... this is way cool! I'm almost two years late to the party, but I joined up
2006 AWD Stealth Vibe
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I'm running 3 units!! Correction! my oldest computer has just been fired b/c the system reqiremnets changed and now it is not allowed to help the world. So now i only have 2 units.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

why the sudden drop off from our teams results??
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

email todayQuote »Dear joatmon,World Community Grid is pleased to announce that the Help Defeat Cancer (HDC) project is finished. The last work units have been sent out and when the final results are returned, the project will come to an end. This project, which launched on July 20, 2006, will have run for just over 9 months by the time the last results are returned. During this time 88,000 members will have donated 2,900 years of computer time on 138,000 different computers. This is a significant contribution to cancer research.But the end of this project is really only a beginning. Based on the results, the researchers who are working on this project have a very aggressive plan to make Tissue Microarray technology an integral part of early cancer detection. World Community Grid's team will keep in close touch with the research team and will post updates on the website in the Research pages. The researchers will also continue to update their HDC website with exciting updates about this project and the inroads it is making on cancer research.On behalf of the research staff at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, World Community Grid's team wish to express our thanks to you for contributing your PC power to this project. With your contribution, this project was completed in a fraction of the time it would otherwise have taken.We also want to inform you that World Community Grid has started work on a new cancer project to discover ways to accelerate the crystallization process used in studying cancer protein structure using X-ray Crystallography, which will help researchers identify proteins involved in cancers and lead to new drug therapies and cures. We plan to launch this new cancer project in the May/June 2007 time frame. You will receive more information on this project prior to the official launch date.We still need your help with other ongoing projects! World Community Grid continues to run the FightAIDS@Home, Genome Comparison, Help Cure Muscular Dystrophy and Human Proteome Folding - Phase II projects. These critical research projects need your computer time as well.IMPORTANT: If you have elected to participate only in the Help Defeat Cancer project (which has now been completed), you must take some action to prevent your World Community Grid agent from sitting idle on your PC until the next cancer project launches. Please sign in to World Community Grid, and from the "My Grid" page, select the "My Projects" link from the menu on the left. From the "My Projects" page, select one or more of the other projects in which you choose to participate. If no action is taken within the next 3 weeks, we will set your default to Participate in All Projects. You will then be automatically enrolled to participate in the next cancer research project when it is launched in May or June.Again, thank you for your contribution to the highly successful completion of the Help Defeat Cancer project!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Jahntassa, I see you are still doing this, stats page says your last result was returned today. I had to take the app off my pc because of heat problems, haven't been contributing for overr a year now. Anybody else on the team still doing this?
kostby

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world! Reviving an ancient thread!

Post by kostby »

13 years later, World Community Grid is still around, and you can STILL help the world.

Jahntassa Vidren began Team GenVibe at World Community Grid about 13 years ago.
Since then, members of GenVibe have contributed over 40 YEARS of processing power to the effort.
GenVibe is still listed among the top 2000 teams by contribution. At one time, about 20 of us on GenVibe were signed up to contribute our unused processor cycles to this worldwide computing crowdsourcing project. According to their online Team profile, 14 are still listed as members.

I was a Grid contributor from 2004 to early 2010, but when I moved, I didn't have a persistent internet connection at the time, so I stopped contributing.
Last summer, I received an email from World Community Grid informing me that I hadn't posted any results in about 7 years! Didn't realize that it had been that long! I downloaded the current BOINC app, and began contributing once again.

So if you have a computer that can be connected to the internet, is powered-on most of the time, yet seldom used, you can donate some of that unused capacity to the World Community Grid projects of your choice, by downloading and installing the free BOINC program for your operating system.
BOINC can also take advantage of GPU processing power.

The BOINC app is easily configured to schedule how much of your available computing capacity you want to provide by # of cores and # of utilization, which hours processing may occur, when to suspend BOINC if mouse & keyboard are in use, and so on.

For more information, or to sign up for Team GenVibe, follow this link:
https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team ... =WQS21MP9N

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
joatmon

Re: C'mon GenVibe! Let's help the world!

Post by joatmon »

I used to do this but then I ended up with my only PC was provided by work (with work security lockdown, along the lines of the only secure computer is the one you never turn on), and looking at my WCG history, my last result was returned almost ten years ago. Things have changed, and although it took me some digging to figure out email addresses, usernames and passwords to regain access to my WCG account, I am now back to background processing.

Thanks for the reminder.

Don't know whatever happened to Jahntassa, he hasn't logged in here for 5 years now, hope he's ok, his last posts were not a farewell, he just stopped being here. Maybe we can bring him back with a concerted WCG effort

edit 1/15/2018

a month ago team genvibe ranked 1928 in runtime, today we rank 1916 for runtime, but only 3120 for results returned and 3957 for points
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I had noticed recently that Jahntassa was no longer the GenVibe team captain. :( I hope all is well with him.

So that our team would have a captain again (for whatever that role entails,) I took the liberty and appointed myself to that role. I'm not going anywhere. :D If any of the two other current members would like that role instead, let me know.

I have an old Android tablet that's not good for much anymore, but it can stay plugged in all the time to slowly do *some* work and not use too much electricity in the process. And I finally installed the client on an even older desktop yesterday.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
kostby

Post by kostby »

Hey Colonel Panic!

Great that you were able to give yourself a battlefield commission and now our WCG command is once again in capable hands!

I have two Macs running World Community Grid most of the time now, 2 cores on a 2011 iMac quad-core i5, and 2 cores on a 2012 Mac mini quad-core i7. The i5 is the slacker, and has accumulated only about 6 months of runtime since 2018. The i7 is far more productive, and has accumulated 3 years of run-time since 2017.

Now that Apple has announced the transition to Apple Silicon, I'll need to replace my Mac fleet with bargain-basement-priced Intel closeouts.

I traded my FWD 2003 Vibe Base with Moon & Tunes for an AWD 2016 Honda HR-V EX in Feb 2018. Dimensions are nearly identical to the Vibe.
It's nice to have a sound system with Bluetooth audio, though 2016 is 2 years too old to have CarPlay and AndroidAuto. The Apple/Honda audio interface has this weird behavior where it automatically picks the very most random thing in my music library shared across my Macs (but never any music actually loaded on my phone) and begins playing it when I start the car. Just now, it was Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water!
With paddle shifters that simulate 7 speeds, the Honda CVT transmission is a bit more fun (but not any faster) than the Vibe automatic. Without all that resonating plastic in the cargo space, the HR-V is quieter, and my year-round gas mileage is about the same as the Vibe, even with the AWD weight penalty. Love the fact that the rear seat bottom cushion also folds UP for tall objects, like the Honda Fit. But two things I STILL miss about the Vibe: The abundance of small storage nooks and crannies, and the sliding tie-downs in the cargo area.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

ColonelPanic wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:56 pm So that our team would have a captain again (for whatever that role entails,) I took the liberty and appointed myself to that role. I'm not going anywhere. :D If any of the two other current members would like that role instead, let me know.
I would have voted for whichever of you two wanted the title, so I'm fine with it.

kostby's way ahead in points, but we're not doing it for points. well, maybe to a token degree, but not really