Anybody have a car shipped before?

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
SlammedNiss

Anybody have a car shipped before?

Post by SlammedNiss » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:26 am

Any info greatly appreciated. Need a vehicle shipped from FL to KS.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic

tpollauf

Re: Anybody have a car shipped before?

Post by tpollauf » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:39 am

If you have the time, you may want to fly one way to where this car is located, then simply drive it back! That's what I did when I acquired my 2004 Vibe GT almost two years ago.
"everything is modifiable"

SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:49 am

tpollauf wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:39 am
If you have the time, you may want to fly one way to where this car is located, then simply drive it back! That's what I did when I acquired my 2004 Vibe GT almost two years ago.
Not an option, hence why I'm having it shipped.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:48 am

I just did a cross country move. Here's what I learned:

1. these companies are all slime balls. Expect no higher service than that
2. research (via google maps) all the auto transport companies in close proximity to the town where the car needs to be picked up. Look at all the yelp reviews of those companies. If you find a company that "looks" good, do further research on that exact company looking into their BBB rating and any other on line reviews.
3. don't give them your good key (aka the key with chip, buttons and programming). If they lose your key among the 15 other keys they toss on top of their trailer's dashboard, you may never see your key again. They lost mine and I made them pay dearly for it.
4. expect to pay up to $800 for a half country move
5. expect your car will arrive later than scheduled due to winter storms or any other excuse they can come up with (ie: numerous Burger King runs, stops at their favorite truck stop for evening "entertainment", etc.)
6. your car will arrive as if it went through 3 hurricanes en-route, assuming you choose to pay for the external (open) trailer move. It will be filthy in every nook and cranny of your exterior and engine compartment.
7. here's a place to start your research:
As T eluded to, since you are not available to drive it yourself, your best bet is to hire one of your local Kansas relatives/friends to do the job. Flying a family member/friend one way, paying for one or two nights in a hotel, plus food allowance is much cheaper than hiring an auto transport company.
Live it up: There will be plenty of time to be old when you die.
** 2009 Vibe: 1.8 liter automatic **
** 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring **
** 2007 Honda Fit Sport **

KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:06 pm

I have had two cars shipped before. One in state and one from out of state. Both of the experiences were alright. I did mine through
meghan@horizonautotransport.com and it was back in 2012 and 2014. I am not sure if she is still doing it.

There is also a service Auto Driveaway that will give you prices and time. I think they broker through all of the individuals who do the transporting. https://www.autodriveaway.com/

It sounds like others have had a bad experiences with car transporting so I would triple check who ever does it for you and definitely check their insurance. I did.

Hope this helps
2003 Base Vibe

zbyers

Post by zbyers » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:19 am

TV shows that uship.com does some car hauling, too.

I wouldn't be hesitant about shipping a car; would just do my due diligence to ensure I am picking a reasonable carrier for what I am paying.

As others covered, verify they will have valid insurance the entire time the vehicle is in their possession, and do not give them your good/only key.
(2) '03 Bases, '04 GT, '04 AWD, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '17 Frontier CCLB
Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:18 pm

We (mostly my wife) shipped my FIL's old vehicles to her brothers. That was from Detroit to a small town in north Mississippi. I didn't hear of them having any issues. The guy picking up the car and truck was a Polish immigrant with limited English (but more than most of the folks I run into down here in Houston).

I can ask her if she has the contact information for the company if you want.

You might also check on YouTube and see who people like SamCrac Tovarish, and Hoovie's Garage use.

SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:01 pm

ho-lee-crap. Made the mistake of entering my (throwaway) email and phone # on a website, and within a minute I was bombarded with calls, texts, and emails. Prices as low as $650 and as much as $1250. This is anxiety inducing. Where is my Xanax?!?

zbyers

Post by zbyers » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:31 pm

If this were after the first of the year, a flight from PA to FL, and from KS back to PA wouldn't be the worst thing for me. :lol:
(2) '03 Bases, '04 GT, '04 AWD, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '17 Frontier CCLB
Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe

SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:32 pm

zbyers wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:31 pm
If this were after the first of the year, a flight from PA to FL, and from KS back to PA wouldn't be the worst thing for me. :lol:
I thought about asking my dad, but the flight would have been from AZ-->FL, drive to KS, fly back to AZ. Would have made it nice for him because his brother lives less than an hour away from where the new car is. But in the long run, it would have been just as expensive as shipping it, so it didn't make much sense to put the miles on the car.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:13 am

SlammedNiss wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:01 pm
ho-lee-crap. Made the mistake of entering my (throwaway) email and phone # on a website, and within a minute I was bombarded with calls, texts, and emails. Prices as low as $650 and as much as $1250. This is anxiety inducing. Where is my Xanax?!?
Sorry for all that; tried to warn ya. These companies have little old lady trolls who will continue calling you until you have depleted 3 bottles of xanax. The good news is, you will soon start to receive "I can take $75 off of our lowest price if you call today" phone calls and emails. You will be receiving these faster than you can delete them. My earlier message and point #1 still stand. My only other piece of advise is to take the lowest bid and route it to the highest quality rated company to see if they will match it. Problem is, who you are dealing with is NOT who is doing the transport. You are dealing with auto transport brokers who then go out and find hungry drivers who may have space on a trailer to move your car. The less hungry they are, (ie: their truck is nearly full; or if the weather looks horrendous during that week of transport) the more money the drivers want to move your car. Good luck to you.

SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Caretaker wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:13 am
Sorry for all that; tried to warn ya. These companies have little old lady trolls who will continue calling you until you have depleted 3 bottles of xanax. The good news is, you will soon start to receive "I can take $75 off of our lowest price if you call today" phone calls and emails. You will be receiving these faster than you can delete them. My earlier message and point #1 still stand. My only other piece of advise is to take the lowest bid and route it to the highest quality rated company to see if they will match it. Problem is, who you are dealing with is NOT who is doing the transport. You are dealing with auto transport brokers who then go out and find hungry drivers who may have space on a trailer to move your car. The less hungry they are, (ie: their truck is nearly full; or if the weather looks horrendous during that week of transport) the more money the drivers want to move your car. Good luck to you.
Yea, it was literally a few seconds I had my 1st call. While on that call, I kept getting numerous other calls/texts and made it nearly impossible to hear the person I was already talking to. I basically told everybody I talked to to just email me the quote, and I would go over them. Didn't end up going with the cheapest, but definitely not the most expensive. Supposedly no hidden fees, so we shall see. Got the ball rolling and told them to move forward. So hopefully in the next day or so I'll have a delivery date.

Here's the inbox to that throwaway email I used. This is JUST the emails obviously, not the texts and calls I also received.

Caretaker

Post by Caretaker » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:42 pm

I do hope the broker keeps to the quote provided. Once they find a willing driver, sometimes that driver will balk at the price you set with the broker. The broker will then come back to you and ask for $50-$100 more. The worst part was when they delivered my car 2 days before I even got on a plane to my new home. They had the exact date drilled into their heads multiple times; as in : don't get the car there before XX, XX, XXXX because I won't be there to receive it. Unfortunately their heads are filled with holes.