wet passenger floor ( front and rear)

Quebec & Montreal
heddie

wet passenger floor ( front and rear)

Post by heddie »

hi all,new to this site.recently purchased a 2003 vibe (base model) with sunroof. last friday, i notice a puddle in the rear passenger floor. Then I notice the front passenger floor wet as well. I know we had that terrible downpour last wed/thursday. I first thought it was a leaking sunroof so I hosed it for a few mins... no leaks from the top. I read it could be the ac drain but I have not turned on the ac for a few weeks now.would anyone have any idea what it might be. it's definitely water. any recommendation of a honest garage.thx in advance.
epcIII

Re: wet passenger floor (heddie)

Post by epcIII »

I would check the sunroof again on a dry day and see if it actually draining the water through the drainage tubes to the underside of the car (you should see 4 wet spots under the car where it is draining). Open up the sunroof and poor a cup of water in each corner.Mine did the same thing and it was a kinked drainage tube. When I first bought it the windshield was new and not sealed correctly and that let in tons of water, but after I fixed that there was still water from the sunroof.Good luck.
heddie

Re: wet passenger floor (epcIII)

Post by heddie »

thx for the suggestion.. I poured water into the 4 drain holes..the passenger side ( where the mats are wet) came out fine...front just just below the passenger seat and the back as just behind the rear wheel.Did the same thing on the driver side...the rear came out around the same are ( behind the rear wheel) but the driver's side, there was no water coming out. Then I notice beads of water was forming on the back where the plastic covers are ( which runs the length of the car)... I popped out the cover and water started coming out.Should the drainage location be the same for both the left and right side of the car? Just odd the driver side is coming out from the back.thx
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

yes it should be in the same spots.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

If you have access to a compressed air hose w/a nozzle, or even one of those little cans they sell for cleaning your computer keyboard, I would seal off the drain hoses at the point of access (top!! Leave to bottom open)) as well as you can and slowly, carefully (not too much pressure at first) push compressed air through them to clear any obstacles. Too much pressure, too quickly could cause the hose to blow off the metal nipple which are usually just a press fit. That would be a pain to fix also, so please be careful using compressed air.Other possible places for water to get in are the rocker panels. Be sure the drains at the bottom of the rocker panels AND doors are clear of debris and rust, and are free to drip water also.And if the car was in a side accident (t-boned) at one time, be sure the body shop that did the work reinstalled the inner rocker panel plugs and that they are sealing as well. You would have to remove the thresholds and pull back the carpeting for this one... a last resort.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I had a problem with the front passenger & rear carpet getting wet as well. It turned out to be a clogged sunroof drain. It had a glob of dirt sitting right in the opening.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on