Anybody know if a cop can give a ticket for thinking that the bike is too loud?

Quebec & Montreal
gmaster

Anybody know if a cop can give a ticket for thinking that the bike is too loud?

Post by gmaster »

Hello I got pulled over by a cop that was giving tickets to pedestrians and cyclists, and they assumed that my bike was to loud (dind't check my muffler) and assumed I was speeding (no radar gun or anything like). Can they do that??
keithvibe

Re: Anybody know if a cop can give a ticket for thinking that the bike is too loud? (gmaster)

Post by keithvibe »

when you say bike you mean the petal type?LOL
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Around here, yes they can. It's easier to fight the speeding side of the ticket especially if there was a lot of traffic. AFA the sound goes, I've know several people to get pulled over for their systems. I think the easiest way that you can fight that would be to at least have proof that yes you had a muffler on your bike that day and simply state that you prefer a louder muffler for your safety as people tend to hear the bike before they ever see it.So basically yes, the cops can do that, but at the same time, those two infraction (or at least how they were derived) are easier to fight.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
gmaster

Post by gmaster »

But what gives them the upper hand on this? If a cop assumes the motorcycle is loud its loud, do we have a law in place for that? I've gotten a ticket for my muffler but the cop measured it to prove it was in violation, this one didn't
VforVIBE

Re: (gmaster)

Post by VforVIBE »

If your bike is loud, it's because you've done something to it... if the cop thought it was too loud, there's a good chance that you've illegally modified your exhaust in some way. It's like putting 5% tint on your windows and wondering why you got a ticket. If you haven't modified the bike in an improper way, you should be able to fight it in court.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Raven

Re: (gmaster)

Post by Raven »

Quote, originally posted by gmaster » I've gotten a ticket for my muffler but the cop measured it to prove it was in violation, this one didn't If you got a ticket before it's in their system. As soon as they run your plate it will pop up. Put a decent muffler on it and you won't get tickets. I don't think you'll lose any horsepower.
jake75

Re: (Raven)

Post by jake75 »

Around here bikes typically generate a noise level that would result in a ticket if it was an an automobile. I can hear them on a major street that is over 1/2 mile away. I'd hate to be living on that street as they seem to do it all night long.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

The answer to your question is totally based on local laws. Noise or nuisance laws are usually on the city level.Many years ago I owned a Pontiac GTO with semi-loud exhaust. I got a ticket for noise. When I tried to fit the ticket, I found that the ordinance starts out; "If in the opinion of the officer...". The law was impossible to fight.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
VforVIBE

Re: (jake75)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »Around here bikes typically generate a noise level that would result in a ticket if it was an an automobile. I can hear them on a major street that is over 1/2 mile away. I'd hate to be living on that street as they seem to do it all night long.I know what you mean, I can hear motorcycles racing at all hours of the morning from my house.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Thewhite

Re: (VforVIBE)

Post by Thewhite »

there, try thishttp://www.sosticket.ca/fr/acc...3TTIw English page also available.If your muffler is legal, you'll win easyly. if not, well you got what you earned. As for speeding, with no radar, it's easy to win. SOS ticket cost a little compare to what you can get, depending on how expensive is your ticket.Have fun in court!
'03 Vibe StandardFast Wheel Talon 17x7 Toyo Proxes T1-S 225/45Magnaflow Cat backDevelop's Strut Tower Brace
BadBrew

Re: Anybody know if a cop can give a ticket for thinking that the bike is too loud? (gmaster)

Post by BadBrew »

a friend of mine got pulled a few times when he was driving his CBR600 with a Yoshimura exhaust, I don't remember him telling me he got a ticket though... but every time he was passing by a cop car, he had to drop the gas for almost 1km before and after passing them...But... the output sound was awesome!! and you but how it is around here (and probably everywhere)... when cops don't get their ticket quotas, they'll find anything to make us pay.
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage