50th. Anniversary US Nationals in Indy

Discussions about legally sanctioned general motorsports events
Ponyota

50th. Anniversary US Nationals in Indy

Post by Ponyota »

Took the family to the US Nationals in Indy Yesterday. WOW! Now that is racing, 6,000 to 9,000 hp! It was the first time I was able to go since 1989. Its still the best racing on earth imo. It was the Finals and when the first set of Nitro Dragsters came by us it was just like being there 15 years ago. Except now they were going 325 mph! The kids, especially my boy, was almost scared and amazed when they first went flying by. The presure and noise shaking your body, the smell of nitro and in a flash its over in just a little over 4 seconds! A total racing experience at its best. For the cycle lovers, hows 180+ mph sound in a 1/4 mile? If you haven't ever been there, its always on labor day weekend, try to go if you can but bring alot of money, this one day cost us over 350 dollars which included (4 VIP tickets, food, drinks) We all got burnt by the blazing sun so don't forget some sunscreen, but we still had a wonderful day. We were even on ESPN2 later that night after we got home, they were showing the crews tearing the cars apart in between the the semi-final and final rounds and we just happened to get into the cameras view (on purpose)..lol.
Click on signature to view Ponyota on cardomain
kostby

Re: 50th. Anniversary US Nationals in Indy (Ponyota)

Post by kostby »

The US Nationals is always a great time! If you're on a tight budget, but are able to come earlier in the week (Thursday, Friday, Saturday), you can watch the qualifying sessions and the bracket eliminations for significantly less money. Reserved seating does get pricey! The price of every general admission ticket includes pit access. Prices increase each day as the Nationals weekend goes along. http://www.irponline.com has ticket info for the US Nationals as well as all events at Indianapolis Raceway Park.As a kid growing up in Speedway in the 1960's, I used to watch the tech inspection take place at the shopping center on Crawfordsville Road, and watch even the 'pro' teams work on their cars in the area motel parking lots. Legends of the sport like Don 'Swamp Rat' Garlits, Don 'The Snake' Prudhomme, and Tom 'Mongoose' McEwen were literally an arms' length away for a snapshot or an autograph.Back then Top Fuel dragsters were front engined, had about 1200 horsepower, and were just getting into the 6's at 200 mph!

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
cohocarl

Re: 50th. Anniversary US Nationals in Indy (Ponyota)

Post by cohocarl »

I'm jealous. I saw most of it on ESPN2, and it looked like alot of good, close runs. I've never been to an NHRA national like that, but they've had some IHRA events at Stanton in MI that I've been to. Words cannot describe the sensation of a top fuel car in person. I remember watching on tv a couple years ago a team firing up their car in the pits, and it showed the crowd behind them. Then the driver "blips" the throttle to seat the clutch and the WHOLE crowd of people flinch. COOL.
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.